Metformin and Weight Loss

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From diagnosis in May ‘17 up until 3 months ago I was taking Metformin 500mg x 3/day. In mid August after discussion with my GP I dropped to 2/day as my HbA1c had been mid 30s for nearly a year. My most recent HbA1c was 35 up from 34 so no significant change there. However after losing six stone on the 3 Metformin/day once I dropped to only 2 my weight loss has stopped dead with no change in my (low carb) diet. I have a review with my GP on Friday and am wondering whether to go back up to 3 to see if it was the reduction in Metformin that has stalled my weight loss or if it was just coincidence. I have loved the fact that I lost all that weight without counting a single calorie and ideally I need to lose another stone and a half to reach the ‘healthy’ BMI zone. I’m just sounding off here really but do wonder if anyone has any comments or advice for me. Fasting wouldn’t suit me as my liver is way too helpful and dumps if I don’t eat regularly, which messes up my blood sugars, besides I’m a grumpy cow when I don’t eat and my family wouldn’t thank me for it! :joyful::hilarious:

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
On LCHF a lot of us see initial fairly rapid weight loss then it slows down.

Reactions: rendi

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox no experience of metformin here, but stalling after a big weight loss isn’t unusual. There seem to be a few who can’t stop losing weight without trying but it does seem that many (including me) find it harder to maintain/lose that last little bit than it was to lose in the first place.

It’s a shame about the fasting - is your liver uncooperative even if you eat breakfast and skip later meals?

An alternative might be to restrict carbs even more for a short period, or just to eat your 3 meals in a narrower window?

Editing to add that giving up sweeteners helped to kick start me again. Worth a try? Given you know that you can maintain while using them it could be a helpful short term measure and then you could add them back in once you reach your goal. You have admirable self-control in relation to sweet things.

Just a few random thoughts!

Last edited:
Reactions: snidge

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for you comments @Sirmione and @Goonergal.
Yes I know the last bit is hard, very hard as it turns out. Before I dropped the one Metformin tablet I was loosing 0.1 - 0.5kg a week and was content I was still going down albeit slowly. I feel I’ve changed my diet out of all recognition and just can’t face compromising it further :( I had a very sweet tooth before and still do to a lesser extent so the thought of giving up all ‘sweet’ stuff makes me sad. My liver will dump anytime of day if I don’t eat for about five hours. The option of reducing carbs even further may be the way to go, food for thought, so to speak! I have a few more days to think til I see my GP, thanks again!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The law of diminishing returns will have you in the end Rachox, as it does all of us. Metformin is a known appetite suppressant. Are you aware of eating a wee bit more since you dropped the dose?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The law of diminishing returns will have you in the end Rachox, as it does all of us. Metformin is a known appetite suppressant. Are you aware of eating a wee bit more since you dropped the dose?

I don’t think I am but you maybe right, that’s why I’m considering whether to increase the Metformin again

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Maybe a teaspoon of raw ACV before bed time, some swear by it. You probably already know, but if you choose this option wash you mouth out thoroughly afterwards. You could dabble with a carnivore trial (may stop the liver dumps also), or adjust the HF to Higher Protein.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe a teaspoon of raw ACV before bed time, some swear by it. You probably already know, but if you choose this option wash you mouth out thoroughly afterwards. You could dabble with a carnivore trial (may stop the liver dumps also), or adjust the HF to Higher Protein.

Thanks yes I might look into ACV, not keen on Carnivory and I do find I get higher fasting blood sugar levels if I eat too much meat. Oh dear it’s such a balancing act :nailbiting:

Reactions: briped

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Metformin for several years now first 500mg x4 daily and recently x3 daily and my weight has steadily increased over the years, so I don't think it has helped keep the weight off me, despite the dire effects it has on my gut. Low carbing doesn't make me lose weight either. My liver also seems to dump large amounts of glucose into my system - hasn't been below 7 for several days now - don't know why. Podiatrist seems to think there may be a problem with my kidneys, and I know I have a problem with my liver. Blood test next week might shine some light on this. Does anyone know if kidney or liver problems might be the reason that low carbing doesn't work. Or maybe it is just my age - I am 73.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you referring to Leptin supplements or my own Leptin? I already eat almonds, broccoli and egg everyday

Leptin controls what your ideal weight is for your body. It is like a regulator and is difficult to over ride. Google will give you a better explanation.

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As Metformin is an appetite suppressant, logically that is the reason why it helps with weight loss. I don't know of any other reason why it will help with weight loss. Less appetite = weight loss.

I can't see how increasing the Metformin will help you in this respect, unless of course you are eating more. I could be wrong, but that is my thinking.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I see no downsides to you trying going back to a higher dose of Metformin.

Metformin works by reducing how much glucose the liver makes from fat and protein, this can then result in a lower insulin level and your body then being able to access more of your fat stores.

As to your liver dumping when you fast, I am not convinced that an increase in BG when fasting does any long-term harm, maybe try combining a 24hr fast with going out for a day's walking.

We all say that exercise is not useful for weight loss, this is wrong, the truth is that the diet must be sorted out first before trying to use exercise to lose weight. Resistance training, for example, using the methods in the "body by science" book has given some people great results.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox - I fast overnight, and where necessary for blood tests or the like, but that's the extent of my fasting/IF for now, but I do have a query about the fasting you have tried.

Could I ask; when you have fasted, how long did you go, and have you tried it more than once?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox - I fast overnight, and where necessary for blood tests or the like, but that's the extent of my fasting/IF for now, but I do have a query about the fasting you have tried.

Could I ask; when you have fasted, how long did you go, and have you tried it more than once?

I have only done the same as you. My longest fast when I wasn’t thinking and booked a blood test appt late morning by mistake, so around 14hrs fasting which resulted in my blood sugar going up from 4.8 on waking to 6.1 four hours later.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only done the same as you. My longest fast when I wasn’t thinking and booked a blood test appt late morning by mistake, so around 14hrs fasting resulted in my blood sugar going up from 4.8 on waking to 6.1 four hours later.
Rach - I'm not suggesting you do anything you're uncomfortable with, but personally, I wouldn't lay any store by a single longer than usual fast. To me, in my simple visualising head, the liver when it comes to glucose storage is a bit like a rechargeable battery. It dumps periodically, then next thing that's eaten it "recharges" it's stores, and of course that's why there can be unexpected lower scores when someone has been hungry then eaten something we might expect to result in higher numbers.

Once the recharegeable is discharged, our body has to look elsewhere for fuel, and turns to other parts of out body - fat stores or muscle of course.

I'd say if you fancy it try a little longer, although I'd not be keen on the ninja styleeeeeeee stuff @bulkbiker sees as sport!