Been to see the nurse

sandra1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people,
Hi Everyone, i have been for a check up with the nurse and came out feeling like the naughty school girl being told off by the teacher, my blood pressure is still high and will review again in a months time if still high im going on meds. I have cut down on everything and have even stopped eating most things that i know are bad for me rice and pasta which i love. Time to get weighed and i had only lost a pound her remark made me cry " a pound is that all " hubby was not happy with the remark and told her better a pound off than a pound on i really do feel like ending it all as i dont only have my diabetes to contend with i have other health issues.. I have my next blood test in june that is when i will know if im going on metformin, i have only been a diabetic since march this year so its all new stuff to me and it is going to take time to adjust, but with the nurses sarcastic remark im wondering should i bother at all and just end it all....

Im sandra 51 and im a diabetic.........

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
sandra1960 said:
Hi Everyone, i have been for a check up with the nurse and came out feeling like the naughty school girl being told off by the teacher, my blood pressure is still high and will review again in a months time if still high im going on meds. I have cut down on everything and have even stopped eating most things that i know are bad for me rice and pasta which i love. Time to get weighed and i had only lost a pound her remark made me cry " a pound is that all " hubby was not happy with the remark and told her better a pound off than a pound on i really do feel like ending it all as i dont only have my diabetes to contend with i have other health issues.. I have my next blood test in june that is when i will know if im going on metformin, i have only been a diabetic since march this year so its all new stuff to me and it is going to take time to adjust, but with the nurses sarcastic remark im wondering should i bother at all and just end it all....

Im sandra 51 and im a diabetic.........

Hi,

I'm sure your not the only one who comes out the diabetes clinic feeling that way, I've read about some nurses/doctors that can be very blunt and what seems to be very rude!

It may be her way of thinking that attitude may kick you into gear to get the results THEY want.

Don't worry about it. Not everyone goes on a diet and makes changes then loses all the weight and the results drop to a perfect level, it takes time and effort and things like that you are usually in for the long haul.

Like you said one pound lost is DEFINATELY better than one pound or more put on. Alot of people struggle to maintain weight not just losing it, so you should feel good no matter how much you've lost!

Your still very new to it all and with other health issues i can imagine it's not easy.

But definately don't give up. It's your chance to prove this nurse wrong, you can lose weight and get everything under control, in your own time.

hope this helps a little, and hopefully others will be along to offer advice too :)

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sandra,
at our age and plus the diabetes its not easy to lose weight, in my opinion the nurse was a bit heartless, keep on trying once you get better control (its very early days though) you will feel much better about everything ,
chin up hun
Sue

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hi Sandra , I am so sorry that you had this horrible treatment to contend with . Its hard enough adjusting to being diabetic in the first place without having comments like this chucked your way . I am ( almost !) 64, was diagnosed at 62 and yes, it is hard to change a lifestyle and diet when you are older, but it can be done . My BP was also very high , despite being on beta blockers, it was often 175/90 , I was overweight and unfit but I was lucky in having a nurse who encouraged me . Just to show that it can be done , my BP this week was 128/75 and I have lost over five stones without extreme measures !! Baby steps is the best way to go , your husband is right to be annoyed, at least it sounds like he is there for you !

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Steady on ther
The nurse needs reminding what bedside manner is .Good that your hubby comented to her. I would have done something similer (probably more abrupt ) There is so many diabetecs that get treat like this .Write a letter to the practice manager. The nurse would'nt have a job without us diabetics make sure you put that in your letter. :evil: :evil:
Jf. :wink:

sandra1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people,
Thanks all for you replies, ive been back on the scales and lost another 1lb and if she says still not enough then she will get a sarcastic remark back and will then tell her i wish to change nurses, im not sure if she a diabetic nurse or just 1 of the practice nurses. Hubby is also waiting to see what she says and if she treats me like a naughty school girl again he will then bring in the practice manager even though he is also a waste of space as we have had to complain previously about 1 of the reception staff on a different matter. Anyways once again thanks for your replies and thank you sueo2 for you message it made me feel a lot better. I will post again when i get my next blood results probably get told off again if no improvement :lol:

sandra1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people,
Hi Guys just a little update, i have again been back on the scales this morning and again have lost another 1lb so thats 2lbs in total. I have been doing some research and have found that 1 of my many medicines i take can cause weight gain so im ready for the nurse in june, any sarcastic remark from her and i will then get my research out and show her that my arimidex ( anti-cancer drug ) as im recovering from Breast Cancer can cause weight gain .. Im happy that im losing the weight albeit very slowly but weight off is better than weight on and the slower you lose the weight its very likely to go back on, hope your all ok and having a nice weekend ...