3.3 Getting low readings every day!

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Felt wobbly all day. kids small yog tube, and a bannana Breakfast .Lunch brown bread blt sarnie, orange 2 hours later. Go ahead bar, Nectarine mid aft. Felt so bad, bottle x1 large of lucozade, glucose tabs, x 10 got home tested 3.3. Oh and Pumpkin seeds through the day as well. Type 2. Metformin 2000mg a day am and pm split. Getting fed up of this yo yo readings situation. Sit all day in an office so no excersise. Any comments welcome! :) definatly getting more low readings than ever before. Diagnosed 8 years ago. Seeing the nurse next week tho, spikes are bad, too high to low now.I thought Metformin doesn't cause low readings? Diabetes is so unpredictable.. Rant over :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you on any other meds?
If not, I believe, that you need to look at what your dietary intake is actually happening to your blood glucose levels.
I'm tagging @daisy1 to give you the welcome information for newbies!

Reactions: kitedoc and Bri

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you on any other meds?
If not, I believe, that you need to look at what your dietary intake is actually happening to your blood glucose levels.
I'm tagging @daisy1 to give you the welcome information for newbies!
Propranolol, hbp. Ramipril. Simvastatin. Its the low readings that are freaking me . I seem to have them more and more. I am worried I may go into the 2. Numbers. At least I can chat to my nurse next week. Thanks for the reply

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you keep a food diary?
Do you test before food, one hour after, then two hours?
Can you give us an idea of these readings you are getting?
I'm not sure wether the other meds would effect your blood glucose levels.
But something is definitely happening if you are going low all the time.

The more information you have, the better your doctor will understand.

Reactions: Bri

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you keep a food diary?
Do you test before food, one hour after, then two hours?
Can you give us an idea of these readings you are getting?
I'm not sure wether the other meds would effect your blood glucose levels.
But something is definitely happening if you are going low all the time.

The more information you have, the better your doctor will understand.
That sounds like a plan, before next week I will do some spot testing, and make a log, thanks

Reactions: Lamont D

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Propranolol, hbp. Ramipril. Simvastatin. Its the low readings that are freaking me . I seem to have them more and more. I am worried I may go into the 2. Numbers. At least I can chat to my nurse next week. Thanks for the reply
Hi there
Just to say that there is some evidence that the beta blocker propanolol can mask some low blood sugar symptoms especially as by their nature beta blockers slow down the heart rate. You may not feel the rapid heart rate warning sign of low bs because of this. Maybe you could discuss this with your gp/nurse.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and Bri
D

Deleted Account

This suggestion is probably a bit out there but I wonder if your meter is out.
Do you have any test fluid for your meter?

If you have had a high BG for a while, you may experience hypo symptoms at higher BG.

As I say, probably unlikely but something you could discount.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and Bri

Geoffno6

I’m not a Doc but I’d be worried if I had low BS and I was eating a fair amount of carbs and taking meds that reduce your BS. I’d definitely get a check as @helensaramay suggested and would speak to a Doctor

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be a reactive hypo after all that lucozade? Did you not test before having the large bottle of lucozade?

Reactions: Geoffno6 and Bri

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be a reactive hypo after all that lucozade? Did you not test before having the large bottle of lucozade?
Good relevant piece of information, that I didn't think could happen! Thanks

Reactions: Geoffno6

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Bri
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bri - In your shoes, I'd be keen to try testing with another pot of strips, or better still a pot from a different batch of strips to cross reference things. Sometimes a pot, or batch, of strips can be a bit wonky. I had that a couple of years ago. It was a bit bewildering when it was all going on.

Secondly, I'd also be making a full food, and blood glucose diary. Spot testing is likely to be as insightful as a chocolate teapot. It might give you the odd clue, but unless you have a fuller picture, you'll still be guessing and grasping at straws.

I appreciate it's a total pain, but sometimes it has to be done. Our Docs can do their own spot tests, but we're the ones living with this full-time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bri and Geoffno6

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bri - In your shoes, I'd be keen to try testing with another pot of strips, or better still a pot from a different batch of strips to cross reference things. Sometimes a pot, or batch, of strips can be a bit wonky. I had that a couple of years ago. It was a bit bewildering when it was all going on.

Secondly, I'd also be making a full food, and blood glucose diary. Spot testing is likely to be as insightful as a chocolate teapot. It might give you the odd clue, but unless you have a fuller picture, you'll still be guessing and grasping at straws.

I appreciate it's a total pain, but sometimes it has to be done. Our Docs can do their own spot tests, but we're the ones living with this full-time.
Thank you! Sound advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Edan, thank you for opening my eyes to this situation."reactive hypo". Hadn't even thought it would be that, how stupid am I? An overdose of glucose will kick in a body response. I have been on an even keel today, after being strict with my food!A Litre of lucozade, and 10 glucose tabs, must have been an overdose, and kicked my body's response. Thank you for your comment! You have been a great help to me! I reckon I need to keep a tighter rein on my food intake ! :)

Reactions: edan

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Edan, thank you for opening my eyes to this situation."reactive hypo". Hadn't even thought it would be that, how stupid am I? An overdose of glucose will kick in a body response. I have been on an even keel today, after being strict with my food!A Litre of lucozade, and 10 glucose tabs, must have been an overdose, and kicked my body's response. Thank you for your comment! You have been a great help to me! I reckon I need to keep a tighter rein on my food intake ! :)

I used to get reactive hypos in the past, seems weird having a hypo after high dose of carbs but I guess our bodies are a bit wonky. Testing blood sugar is the only real way to know.