Apple Cider Vinegar (sorting the taste)

tubamanandy

Many of us are aware of the benefits of ACV but havn't found an answer to this in searching the forum:-

Would taking eg.1 x teaspoon of Stevia (sugar substitute) negate the effects of 2 x teaspoons of ACV in a pint of water ?

I'm not a chemist but concerned the Stevia may make the ACV too alkalis ? I'm looking to make it taste better but want to keep the benefits (acidity)

Reactions: T2#Me

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure? I use various vinegars as condiments - but never noticed a benefit from ACV.
Am I missing something?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve read anecdotal stuff about acv helping. On my “education “ course a participant claimed good results with it. I’d be interested in any studies. When suffering gallbladder issues misdiagnosed as reflux I managed a teaspoon in a pint of water without much noticeable taste. Not surprisingly it didn’t do much.

tubamanandy

These seem to be the main points (apparently all tested/proven):-

When taken before a high-carb meal, vinegar slows the rate of stomach emptying and prevents large blood sugar spikes (1).

It also improves insulin sensitivity, which helps your body move more glucose out of the bloodstream and into your cells, thus lowering blood sugar levels (2).

Interestingly, only a small amount of apple cider vinegar is needed to have these effects.

Four teaspoons (20 ml) of apple cider vinegar before meals have been shown to significantly reduce blood sugar levels after eating (2, 3, 4).

It should be mixed with a few ounces of water and consumed right before a high-carb meal (2, 5).

Apple cider vinegar does not significantly lower blood sugar when taken before a low-carb or high-fiber meal (6).

Vinegar has been shown to have numerous benefits for blood sugar and insulin levels:

Improves insulin sensitivity during a high-carb meal by 19–34% and significantly lowers blood sugar and insulin responses (6).

Reduces blood sugar by 34% after eating 50 grams of white bread (7).

2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bedtime can reduce fasting blood sugar in the morning by 4% (8).
Numerous other studies in humans show that vinegar can improve insulin function and lower blood sugar levels after meals (9, 10).

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When taken before a high-carb meal, vinegar slows the rate of stomach emptying and prevents large blood sugar spikes (1).
Apple cider vinegar does not significantly lower blood sugar when taken before a low-carb or high-fiber mea

I think you have your answer in the two quotes above,, it helps if you eat high carb but not if you don't... as a lot of us eat low carb then it won't have much impact. High carb of course isn't great for us anyway so why eat it then require something else when it can be easily avoided.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried it (the one with Mother). It did nothing, tasted awful, so I gave up. But I am low carb anyway.
I do use ordinary vinegar as a condiment. No idea if this helps or not as I've always used it.
Vinegar is supposed to thin the blood so my mother told me!

T2#Me

I think you have your answer in the two quotes above,, it helps if you eat high carb but not if you don't... as a lot of us eat low carb then it won't have much impact. High carb of course isn't great for us anyway so why eat it then require something else when it can be easily avoided.
Coincidentally, your avatar buddy Jason Fung highly recommends vinegar - in his words "imperative to get vinegar in your diet" - he mentioned apple cider vinegar and red wine vinegar - mainly to improve insulin sensitivity. Thanks to him I have now started on the two tablespoons in water at night ... fingers crossed :)

Reactions: Daisy_Daisy

T2#Me

These seem to be the main points (apparently all tested/proven):-

It also improves insulin sensitivity, which helps your body move more glucose out of the bloodstream and into your cells, thus lowering blood sugar levels (2).

Interestingly, only a small amount of apple cider vinegar is needed to have these effects.

Four teaspoons (20 ml) of apple cider vinegar before meals have been shown to significantly reduce blood sugar levels after eating (2, 3, 4).

It should be mixed with a few ounces of water and consumed right before a high-carb meal (2, 5).

Apple cider vinegar does not significantly lower blood sugar when taken before a low-carb or high-fiber meal (6).

Vinegar has been shown to have numerous benefits for blood sugar and insulin levels:

Improves insulin sensitivity during a high-carb meal by 19–34% and significantly lowers blood sugar and insulin responses (6).

Reduces blood sugar by 34% after eating 50 grams of white bread (7).

2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bedtime can reduce fasting blood sugar in the morning by 4% (8).
Numerous other studies in humans show that vinegar can improve insulin function and lower blood sugar levels after meals (9, 10).
Excellent post ... thanks.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

T2#Me

T2#Me

Many of us are aware of the benefits of ACV but havn't found an answer to this in searching the forum:-

Would taking eg.1 x teaspoon of Stevia (sugar substitute) negate the effects of 2 x teaspoons of ACV in a pint of water ?

I'm not a chemist but concerned the Stevia may make the ACV too alkalis ? I'm looking to make it taste better but want to keep the benefits (acidity)
I hate the smell and taste of acv with passion ... however I found taking it in hot water with a pinch of cinnamon made it at least swallowable ... let's hope the cinnamon does not negate the good effects of the vinegar :***:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the smell and taste of acv with passion ... however I found taking it in hot water with a pinch of cinnamon made it at least swallowable ... let's hope the cinnamon does not negate the good effects of the vinegar :***:
Just watch your tooth enamel.. rinse thoroughly afterwards.

T2#Me

I tried it (the one with Mother). It did nothing, tasted awful, so I gave up. But I am low carb anyway.
I do use ordinary vinegar as a condiment. No idea if this helps or not as I've always used it.
Vinegar is supposed to thin the blood so my mother told me!
I believe the dr. mosley BBC trial compared malt vinegar with apple cider vinegar and found the malt vinegar had no effect ... if this helps?

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you use the raw stuff (with mother) & do test readings ?

Yes, I used raw apple vinegar which contains the mother (Braggs brand) and tested with my meter. It made no difference for me at all. I was already eating low carb when I tried it for a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy_Daisy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe the dr. mosley BBC trial compared malt vinegar with apple cider vinegar and found the malt vinegar had no effect ... if this helps?

I never imagined malt vinegar would, but my tinned salmon would not be the same without it :hilarious: I wonder if it really does thin the blood or if that is an old wives tale. If it does, it would be a good solution to potential blood clots.

tubamanandy

Very good points but wonder what effect it has on the Dawn Phenomenon ?

tubamanandy

Coincidentally, your avatar buddy Jason Fung highly recommends vinegar - in his words "imperative to get vinegar in your diet" - he mentioned apple cider vinegar and red wine vinegar - mainly to improve insulin sensitivity. Thanks to him I have now started on the two tablespoons in water at night ... fingers crossed :)

PLEASE let us know if you think it has had any meaningful effect