Question for any T1s in Leeds/West Yorkshire

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I am a type 1 that has recently moved from Leicestershire to Leeds and am needing to switch gp surgery/diabetic clinic etc.

I'm REALLY nervous about this and have been putting it off for a long time because I love my DSN back in Leicestershire and am terrified about ending up under the care of someone that isn't as supportive. I currently use a pump and have been on NHS funded sensor therapy for severe hypo anxiety for the last 9 months. I know I will be fine with my pump, but I have been told by my DSN that moving counties could mean I lose my funding for sensor augmented therapy.

The sensor is a lifeline for me, I was SO unhealthy before starting on it and really do not want to go back. I was wondering if anyone in the Leeds/West Yorkshire area could share any experiences of their diabetic care. Also any recommendations in terms of GP practices/outpatient diabetic departments etc would be amazing. We're in the LS11 area presently but are beginning to look for a different area - and catchment areas for good GP practices will definitely be something we take into consideration when hunting for a new home.

Thanks in advance!

Ellie :)

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I am a type 1 that has recently moved from Leicestershire to Leeds and am needing to switch gp surgery/diabetic consultant etc.

I'm REALLY nervous about this and have been putting it off for a long time because I love my DSN back in Leicestershire and am terrified about ending up under the care of someone that isn't as supportive. I currently use a pump and have been on NHS funded sensor therapy for severe hypo anxiety for the last 9 months. I know I will be fine with my pump, but I have been told by my DSN that moving counties could mean I lose my funding for sensor augmented therapy.

The sensor is a lifeline for me, I was SO unhealthy before starting on it and really do not want to go back. I was wondering if anyone in the Leeds/West Yorkshire area could share any experiences of their diabetic care. Also any recommendations in terms of GPs/outpatient diabetic departments etc would be amazing. We're in the LS11 area presently but are beginning to look for a different area - and catchment areas for good GP practices will definitely be something we take into consideration when hunting for a new home.

Thanks in advance!

Ellie :)

Ellie - I completely understand your anxiety on moving from one area to another; especially where you seem to have special funding for something which may not be routinely available to all T1s. I live in Leicestershire myself, so I do appreciate how lucky we are in terms of ongoing care, and the research centres.

One thing I will say though it that we do not allow recommendations on the forum for GPs etc. - mainly because such judgements and who is good, bad or plain ugly can be such a personal assessment, and it can end up being critical of someone who is not here to defend themselves. Recommendations to a general hospital or clinic are fine, but any names posted will be deleted by a Mod, so you might want to tweak your original post a bit, or if you're struggling to manage that, any Mod can help you out.

I'm really keen you receive the support you require, but with minimal disruption to your thread.

Good luck with your time in Leeds. I spent a lot of time in Leeds, for business, about 10 years ago, and found it to be a great, vibrant city, and very easy to get to and from.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lunar_Lapin Welcome to Leeds, we moved here 31 years ago this month and I have to say I love the city. All my care since diagnosis 5 years ago has come through the hospital. All hospital based diabetic care is done at the Manny Cousins centre which is part of the St James hospital site. It is excellent. My consultant is lovely. My brother has a different consultant but likes him also. I am sure whoever you get it will be fine. All the nursing staff are also good. If you ring for help, someone will always get back to you if they are busy. They run a fabulous DAFNE course.
I don’t know what your criteria for funding was in Leicestershire and that may carry on here as you have already been given it. It is not something I could comment on obviously.
As regards GPs there is a league table on line somewhere. Mine at Oulton figures highly as did my previous one in Roundhay. Both were medical centres and very good.
I suggest you ring the department, tell them you have just moved to Leeds and arrange an appointment. I take it you have a temporary GP so it shouldn’t be a problem.
Good Luck!

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ellie - I completely understand your anxiety on moving from one area to another; especially where you seem to have special funding for something which may not be routinely available to all T1s. I live in Leicestershire myself, so I do appreciate how lucky we are in terms of ongoing care, and the research centres.

One thing I will say though it that we do not allow recommendations on the forum for GPs etc. - mainly because such judgements and who is good, bad or plain ugly can be such a personal assessment, and it can end up being critical of someone who is not here to defend themselves. Recommendations to a general hospital or clinic are fine, but any names posted will be deleted by a Mod, so you might want to tweak your original post a bit, or if you're struggling to manage that, any Mod can help you out.

I'm really keen you receive the support you require, but with minimal disruption to your thread.

Good luck with your time in Leeds. I spent a lot of time in Leeds, for business, about 10 years ago, and found it to be a great, vibrant city, and very easy to get to and from.

Thank you for the reply - that makes perfect sense! I was meaning more clinic/surgery/hospital so I’ll edit the post. Yes Leicestershire is great for diabetic care, LGH have been amazing with me since diagnosis! Thanks again

Reactions: DCUKMod

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lunar_Lapin Welcome to Leeds, we moved here 31 years ago this month and I have to say I love the city. All my care since diagnosis 5 years ago has come through the hospital. All hospital based diabetic care is done at the Manny Cousins centre which is part of the St James hospital site. It is excellent. My consultant is lovely. My brother has a different consultant but likes him also. I am sure whoever you get it will be fine. All the nursing staff are also good. If you ring for help, someone will always get back to you if they are busy. They run a fabulous DAFNE course.
I don’t know what your criteria for funding was in Leicestershire and that may carry on here as you have already been given it. It is not something I could comment on obviously.
As regards GPs there is a league table on line somewhere. Mine at Oulton figures highly as did my previous one in Roundhay. Both were medical centres and very good.
I suggest you ring the department, tell them you have just moved to Leeds and arrange an appointment. I take it you have a temporary GP so it shouldn’t be a problem.
Good Luck!

That’s really helpful thank you. I got the pump due to the number of times I was bolusing/split bolusing manually with a pen and trying to micromanage my insulin for exercise. I don’t have a temporary GP I’ve been going back to the midlands (I’m still at uni there) for my diabetic reviews etc! I will find a way to find out what the funding criteria up here and then make the leap, thank you for your help :)