Do I wait till Diabetes take full force ? What's going on ?

Thewomanintrouble

Hello everyone, I'm really confused about my son. The endo reckons he doesn't have Diabetes and it was the steroids that made his blood sugar levels go towards the prediabetic range. He has recent HBAC1 test and it was 6 ! His last HBAC1 was 5.8 or 5.9. What's going on ? His had all antibodies tests and they were all negative. I test his blood sugars one hour after meal and they are within the normal range 6.8-7.6. Wha is happening ? Is it just a matter of waiting it out till he developing full blown diabetes. His endo was discouraging me from doing a low carb diet as he doesn't have Diabetes and the diet is making him lose weight. I'm just at loose ends.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends. How old is your son? Prediabetes is the precursor to Type 2, so does he have any of the risk factors associated with Type 2?

Thewomanintrouble

Depends. How old is your son? Prediabetes is the precursor to Type 2, so does he have any of the risk factors associated with Type 2?

He is 8 and no he doesn't.

The Endo thought it was his overdose on steroids that caused his blood sugar to go on the diabetic range.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I'm really confused about my son. The endo reckons he doesn't have Diabetes and it was the steroids that made his blood sugar levels go towards the prediabetic range. He has recent HBAC1 test and it was 6 ! His last HBAC1 was 5.8 or 5.9. What's going on ? His had all antibodies tests and they were all negative. I test his blood sugars one hour after meal and they are within the normal range 6.8-7.6. Wha is happening ? Is it just a matter of waiting it out till he developing full blown diabetes. His endo was discouraging me from doing a low carb diet as he doesn't have Diabetes and the diet is making him lose weight. I'm just at loose ends.
8-year-olds don't usually get T2, and T1's don't get pre-diabetic. Kindof mutually exclusive. Steroids give a signal to the liver to dump glucose into the bloodstream, so that would make his bloodsugars rise for a little while. They'll come down again. He'll be okay.

Reactions: donnellysdogs
D

Deleted Account

Hb1AC results are not super duper accurate or precise.
I would not consider 6.0 as different to 5.8 or 5.9: I do not see that he is "getting closer to diabetes"

Thewomanintrouble

8-year-olds don't usually get T2, and T1's don't get pre-diabetic. Kindof mutually exclusive. Steroids give a signal to the liver to dump glucose into the bloodstream, so that would make his bloodsugars rise for a little while. They'll come down again. He'll be okay.

But it could be slow onset diabetes and he is in the very early stages. His been off steroids for four months. It shouldn't take that long to come out of the system ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try testing 2 hours after the meal rather than one and you'll find his levels are probably lower. It sounds like he is fine so maybe stop worrying?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well, you have done everything to establish your son does NOT have diabetes, or pre-diabetes. You have had an Consultant confirm this. What more are you looking for? If your son is losing weight, feed him more food, including some carbs as he will be hitting his growth spurt about now too and need nourishment.

I dont know why you tested him an hour after eating - 2 hours is the norm for an accurate picture, and I dont think testing him, after all the other medical stuff he has going on, is good for him. How is his excema?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But it could be slow onset diabetes and he is in the very early stages. His been off steroids for four months. It shouldn't take that long to come out of the system ?
Slow onset? Do you mean LADA or Mody? (I'm Dutch, so I'm checking if I got your meaning right). Mody doesn't usually hit until age 10 or over, I think... Does it run in the family?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your results are amazing. Should I continue on with the low carb diet ?
why are you asking me? I am a grown woman with type 2 diabetes. My experience is irrelevant to that of an 8 year old boy who has been given the all clear by a consultant.

Your consultant has said to stop the low carb diet as your son is losing weight. Nutrition is vital at his age, especially getting enough food of good quality. Trust the consultant and do what he or she says.

Reactions: karen8967

Thewomanintrouble

why are you asking me? I am a grown woman with type 2 diabetes. My experience is irrelevant to that of an 8 year old boy who has been given the all clear by a consultant.

Your consultant has said to stop the low carb diet as your son is losing weight. Nutrition is vital at his age, especially getting enough food of good quality. Trust the consultant and do what he or she says.

I assumed you were telling me your HBAC1 results, I realised it was just part of your username- message thing ? That the low carb diet gave you those results. I was just over thinking.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I took Prednisolone for a week last November, and it took months for my blood sugars to get back to the normal range. So, yes it does take a long time.

I don't want to be rude, but it's almost as if you want him to have diabetes. Be glad his blood sugars are now reasonably normal.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Thewomanintrouble

Children of 8 do not get slow onset diabetes, you have been told numerous times your son does not have diabetes, why do you continue to chase a non existent medical condition ? your son needs to be allowed to grow up without your anxieties pressed into him, please accept he is fine and get on with being a supportive family.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slow onset as in his hbac1 result will go beyond 6.5. Hitting the diabetes diagnostic criteria.
I really see no reason to worry. A HbA1c is an average of several months, so the steroids from 4 months ago could still affect that average. Please take your boy off the LCHF diet if he doesn't need it. If he's losing weight it might be affecting his growth, which will most likely not catch up later. I know you're worried, but please... This could be harming him, and do permanent damage.

Reactions: Alison54321

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've reread your posts from 14 weeks ago, and the answers still seem to be the same, except now you have the endo's confirmation too. So I'm not sure what advice I could add except wholeheartedly agree with the all of the above.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek