Advice for First Time Half Marathon

cokemannz

Hi All,

In about two weeks I am running my first half marathon. My longest run so far is 13km's and after about 11kms had low blood sugar. In regards to preparation before, and running during a half marathon, can someone recommend a good plan for insulin and eating before / during the race? I have read that energy gels after an hour are beneficial, and to lower basal insulin before the race (it starts at 8am). Obviously everyones experiences are different but any tips and info is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Reactions: porl69

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @cokemannz :)

Am assuming you're type 1 hence the low blood sugar, i'll tag @Type1Bri who ran the London Marathon this year, he did a great blog on his training and the run itself so would be useful to get tips from him.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done loads of half marathons. They tend to be in the morning. I'll skip breakfast, or have something low carb to avoid a large dose of insulin before the run. I need 2 Dextro tablets every 15 mins and I test every 30. Pending the results of the test, I'll adjust the next Dextro dose accordingly.

I used to use a bum bad to carry everything in, but I've got a Camelbak now which is much better.

Good luck!

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
it all depends on what pace you plan on running it if your planning on setting a fast time testing while racing intent really possible mybe if i was doing one i would probable take about 3 gels maybe one after about 10k depend on how i feel iv not raced any this year though iv found that the stress of races can make my blood sugar do strange things though

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@cokemannz assume the half marathon has now passed, hope it went well.
I did 6 half marathons this year, with varying levels of success from a diabetes point of view. I had horrific hypos on my second and third races which totally took it out of me for the rest of the run. I did have 4 where I didn't hypo though, including an epic 3hr 40min adventure over the Fife hills. Didn't expect to be out there for that long that day.
Gels are ok, but I find they can sit on my stomach and make me feel a bit :sour: Won't be in a hurry to use them again. Also used Active Root in training a couple of weeks ago and that was nice.
I experimented with more real food and latterly was having Soreen and the odd jelly baby to maintain blood sugar levels.

Reactions: SamJB and Juicyj