I need help please

charliejack

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and to diabetes. I have been told I have type 2 and need to control it by diet and exercise. I have really tried to watch what I am eating, cutting out all the naughty things and have concentrated on health eating. I have lost a few pounds but now for the last few weeks I have lost nothing at all. I am walking, dancing and bouncing my way fit but nothing is happening. What can I do, or what am I doing wrong! Please help me, as already I feel like giving into temptation and forgetting the whole thing. I feel depressed and guilty about what I HAVE DONE TO MY BODY.

C

catherinecherub

Hi CJ and a warm welcome to the forum.

Did your team give you any help about the things to eat and the things to cut back on?

This information has been compiled by the Forum Monitors and is very useful to help your management.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Are you testing your blood sugars? This will help you to see how foods are affecting your blood sugar levels?

Come back and ask as many questions as you feel necessary, nothing considered silly.

Hope this helps.

charliejack

Thank you Catherinecherub. No, I am not testing my levels, nurse said there was no need to.
She was very nice and helpful but I think i have just confused myself. She told me to eat bread, pasta and rice etc but I thought bread would be fattening and make me put more weight on.
I dont need to go back for 6 months and I think I will have put on more weight at this rate.
I do test my urine occasionally and it is fine.
I will read your link and thank you

Toms Grandma

Hi CJ,
I was diagnosed at Christmas, Type 2, controlled by diet and exercise. I fortunately found this web site and read it, coming in every day and reading a bit more. The one thing I learned was that I needed to test my blood. I tested before I ate and 2 hours after. I cut out pasta, bread and potatos. Every morning I have my porridge, I use sweeteners rather than sugar. I have lost 21lbs so far....BUT everyone is different with regard to what they eat, and you have to find your path. I bought my blood testing kit and I know it isn't cheap but has been a life saver for me. I now know exactly what I can and can't eat and in fact 5 months on, I do not test my blood that often. The members of this forum are the experts and I have learnt so much from reading all that is written on here, then trying it for myself and seeing what works for me. I try to walk every day and find it gets easier every day, for the first time in years I am going to do the Race for Life this year.

Good luck with changing your diet, it will be worth it, there is life out there after being diagnosed, and it can get better. There are lots of friends on here who will offer encouragement.
Best wishes,Wendy

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
Hi CharlieJack,

Sorry about your diagnosis, you need too find a diet that works for you and enables you too keep your BG levels in check and at healthy levels, the idea that eat starchy carbs every meal is very contentious and shouldn't really be followed if you take into account that any carbohydrate that enters your body will be converted into glucose and thus potentially raise BG levels.

Perhaps a slimming club or low-carb diet is the way - try too excercise regularly.

Please don't let it bring you down, it doesn't have too be the end of the world, embrace it for what it is and look at the positives, you are not too blame for anything.

Good luck and welcome too the forum,

Ben.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Also, I think at anytime when trying to balance eating and exercise there is a time when your body levels off any weight loss for a short period of time. (This is just my thoughts-not a scientifically tested theory!!!).

I think in actual fact it is a way that our bodys tell our brain to get fed up and to go back to the old eating and exercise that our bodys were used to.

If our bodies are used to doing something for such a longtime, of course at sometime when we try to change our regimes, it will kick back at us-it has been used to the regime for such a long time....

It isn't just like this with us diabetics or people who want to slim-it actually acts in just the same sort of manner for the anorexics......anorexics limit their food for such a long time, then they can sometimes get help and put weight on......however, at some point an anorexics body will kick back and tell the brain to go back to the starving methods of eating.....

It is basically the same with all of what we do with ourselves....whether it is eating, drinking or smoking etc.....at some point our bodys kick back and in your case-won't lose weight-and then your brain being human will tell you to get fed up......you need to get over this little kick back your body is giving you...it is hard, but be positive becaue you can do it.

Someimes, as I learnt when first diagnosed type 1, your body can give you a huge kick back..because it thinks it has had every bit of previous foods taken away from it....it is also contending with getting used to lower amounts of glucose going in to it, and like with yourself having more exercise pushed upon it...quite possibly a completely different lifestyle than it has ever, possibly had.......of course it will make you feel like giving up, that is a natural human body reaction....

Be positive, the support that you need and can get from here is amazing. Plus, in one way or another we have all had to make those changes to our bodies......and there are many fantastic stories here of people that have managed and continued to manage very successfully....

charliejack

Thank you very much everyone for your advice. I am so glad I have found this site I know I will grow to understand and accept my new way of life ahead.
thanks for all the diet advice and help with my emotions, i admit I am feeling very down at the moment and now can see I am not alone. I think this forum is going to be a real bonus for me.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

You are certainly not alone and others have suggested some points about diet. Where you do have carbohydrates try to have the complex, low GI ones i.e. not over-refined and perhaps granary bread and so on. I'm able to buy a low-GI loaf locally which helps me. Fat is not the No-No that some health professionals might say. Try to keep it unsaturated where possible and keep an eye on your cholesterol levels. Protein is fine. So although you will have to control the bread, pasta, cakes and so on it's nice still to be able to have sausage, egg and some chips and similar; also 85% chocolate is fine!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I have only been diagnosed a short time and am also trying to lose weight and not doing badly at the moment (alhough this week I only stayed the same-my own fault for visiting pub 3 times in the week, well I have to be sociable when bands are on etc). I have cut down on bread, it was my biggest weakness, but then it was portion control & habits like biscuits with a cuppa. I also think a lot of people eat by the clock not by their feeling, there's no need for a big lunch at mid day if you don't feel that hungry so I have a wrap (112 calories a wrap 92 calories in a slice of bread but you need 2 slices for a sandwich!). I also go to the gym and weigh myself there once a week and text the result to 2 close friends, this keeps me motivated as I'm competitive and don't want to admit to them I've failed!

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Total agreement to the above replies

BUT most importantly - you didn't 'do it to yourself'

This disease can really knock you for six, be gentle with yourself...