What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting. Will take this and ponder. Personally I feel a bit in limbo currently and trying to focus.
I’ve had a momentous few months getting from 9s to 6s, from 67 to 40 Hba1c, and dropping 18kg.
But it feels like diminishing returns from here. Which makes it harder to stay focused.
So I’m looking at core strength and sleeping as next targets. It’s gone midnight when I’m typing this which is helping neither objective.

I completely agree about the diminishing returns once the big numbers have dropped. I’m finding the same thing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning, it’s Friday and it’s not raining yet so all good here. Have a lovely day everyone.
Hmm, seems to be a theme emerging here. Almost wonder about a whole new thread re sustainability (very en vogue that term) - won't be a single use one I hope:angelic:

Reactions: DJC3

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. 5.7 today.
Some news on the results of the heart echo (ultrasound). The heart, valves etc fairly standard, with some comments on valves, flow etc. But the last comment was “pleural effusion found” or pleurisy to the man/woman in the street. Which is what I have been saying for the past year. Off to the GP now for follow up. Endo though it might require a trip back to hospital for tests etc. We shall see. Cant wait to get some treatment and maybe an end to this chest pain.
Hope everyone is well, or on the up. Your BG is fit for purpose...have a great day.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Nope to too early. Don't know if you have access but Sky have a channel full - I imagine Netflix, Amazon et als have plenty - indulge yourself It's a wonderful world:angelic:
Yep I have the sky app on my iPad and Netflix I can’t wait for Christmas :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.6 at 0800. Have been trying the occassional clementine after dinner but last night got complacent and had two which sent my BG up silly.. Will I never learn!
@ianpspurs I am not really sure why you have cut back on eats because your control has always been steady, to me anyway. I gather your HbA1c was not what you expected but was it 40 or under? Thats my mark in the sand. Dont be too hard on yourself because you’re great!
@johnpol your post reminded me of The Polar Express which links in perfectly with @Ziggy2017 post. What a fab movie but nothing is as good as The Grinch. Ooh feeling Christmassy....need to pull myself together.
Have a good Friday. Stay well stay safe.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Greetings one and all. What follows is meant as a note of caution for members just starting out on their journey. Let's say my fbg was 4.9 today. My main reaction is AND? @rhubarb73 hinted at a major issue I have been mulling over. I am concerned over how sustainable the level of control I have is without ever decreasing food intake and increased exercise levels.That is impractical. On the whole, it feels pretty joyless right now - the novelty of weight loss and lower numbers has worn off. Methinks a dose of acceptance and doubt your doubts is in order.
Hi Ian, I'm always inspired by people here who try their very best to go to the lowest. I know those just coming on board may find very low numbers intimidating but it shows its all possible. How then to fit it all together into a manageable life is another thing altogether and an ongoing challenge. I think for me I try just to edge to what I see as a healthier life style. This is a changing thing

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I am not really sure why you have cut back on eats because your control has always been steady, to me anyway. I gather your HbA1c was not what you expected but was it 40 or under? Thats my mark in the sand. Dont be too hard on yourself because you’re great!.
Thanks @PenguinMum. Clementines and Christmassy is just about right so not so hard on yourself either. Test was 37 which I don't see as a mark of effectiveness for this regime. The "side effects" seem to be starting to outweigh the very limited benefits and perhaps even negate them. Sleep has become shorter and saps energy so probably reduces effectiveness. I am grateful for people offering advice and support but utterly convinced this ain't right . I would tolerate it if it was effective but IMHO it is not. Hopefully I am just doing it wrong but if it was something I had bought, right about now, I would want my money back.

Last edited:

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Crikey we are all very reflective today. I guess it is tiring fighting all the time. Sometimes you need to go back to your corner, get towelled down and spit in a bucket. I think the challenge for all of us T1,T2, T3 and all the other varieties is to make this something we die with, rather than something we die from, and live rich and fulfilling lives in the meantime.
The gloves are back on, I'm ready for the next round.
(6.0 today which is OK)
(sort of)
(I WANT A FIVE, I WANT A FIVE, I WANT A FIVE!!!)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 7.8 for me at 8am. I totally understand the concerns about sustainability. My levels used to be well under control but as we age our bodies are not always able to continue to tolerate the same amount of exercise and other health issues can limit what type of foods we can eat so we do the best we can. I think other factors such as stress levels, pain, minor illnesses and medication for other conditions also play there part. At the moment I would be happy for my fbs to be below 7. Well done to all who are achieving their goals and best wishes to all who are struggling. It is an ongoing challenge for us all. Enjoy your Friday and the coming week-end folks. :)

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Crikey we are all very reflective today. I guess it is tiring fighting all the time. Sometimes you need to go back to your corner, get towelled down and spit in a bucket. I think the challenge for all of us T1,T2, T3 and all the other varieties is to make this something we die with, rather than something we die from, and live rich and fulfilling lives in the meantime.
(6.0 today which is OK)
(sort of)
Love the something to die for rather than something to die from. Spot on IMHO

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
(6.0 today which is OK)
(sort of)
Good attitude @rhubarb73. I am totally on board with the rich and fulfilling life but just at this moment I really feel the biggest obstacle to that is this method of fighting. Now, the method would be fine if it was winning titles so to speak but IMHO it is not and doesn't look likely to anytime soon. That is a personal view and other members have huge success and happiness from similar methods so don't take this as anything other than a personal issue. You can't make a Botham play like a Tavare.:banghead:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @PenguinMum. Clementines and Christmassy is just about right so not so hard on yourself either. Test was 37 which I don't see as a mark of effectiveness for this regime. The "side effects" seem to be starting to outweigh the very limited benefits and perhaps even negate them. Sleep has become shorter and saps energy so probably reduces effectiveness. I am grateful for people offering advice and support but utterly convinced this ain't right . I would tolerate it if it was effective but IMHO it is not. Hopefully I am just doing it wrong but if it was something I had bought, right about now, I would want my money back.
I know I’m new to this so full of naive optimism and have no experience of the long term reality of this illness, but my dad is my role model. He had a heart attack 12yrs ago which of course was a shock to the system as was only in his 40’s. Spent the next few years eating like a saint, exercising, lost loads of weight, quit smoking, gave up his occasional drink. Only to realise that yes his body might be better for it but he was miserable. Life has to be balance. So now he has that occasional drink, or a curry or whatever social treat that makes, what in general is a life of routine and repetitive mundane acts, that bit more enjoyable.
Yes we have to control our sugars. Yes being high can have long term effects that are frightening and we all want to avoid. But we only get to play this game of life once. Compromise, middle ground, balance. It has to be the key to trying to make sure we enjoy it :)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

very grey out there today ;) probably going to have a quiet day at home, might tackle getting out the higher tog rated quilts out of storage for airing today perhaps.

Hope your day is a good one :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I’m new to this so full of naive optimism and have no experience of the long term reality of this illness, but my dad is my role model. He had a heart attack 12yrs ago which of course was a shock to the system as was only in his 40’s. Spent the next few years eating like a saint, exercising, lost loads of weight, quit smoking, gave up his occasional drink. Only to realise that yes his body might be better for it but he was miserable. Life has to be balance. So now he has that occasional drink, or a curry or whatever social treat that makes, what in general is a life of routine and repetitive mundane acts, that bit more enjoyable.
Yes we have to control our sugars. Yes being high can have long term effects that are frightening and we all want to avoid. But we only get to play this game of life once. Compromise, middle ground, balance. It has to be the key to trying to make sure we enjoy it :)
Great that your dad has done so well and can be a role model. Kind of similar story with my dad. His heart attack was at 60 and he completely changed eating habits for 20 years but never really relaxed his guard. Then my mum needed him to be her carer and had long periods of hospitalisation. For just over 18 months his whole routine was disrupted and he died suddenly (mum died the same day). The lesson I take from that does not lead to relaxation. The 20 years with his grandchildren outweighed anything else and he was very open about that.

Last edited:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
3.2 at 5am got that sorted then 3.1 at 9am and got that sorted

I’ve gone back to bed think it’s gonna be a duvet day but need a food shop so will have to venture out

Anyways folks hope you all have a good day

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great that your dad has done so well and can be a role model. Kind of similar story with my dad. His heart attack was at 60 and he completely changed eating habits for 20 years but never really relaxed his guard. Then my mum needed him to be her carer and had long periods of hospitalisation. For just over 18 months his whole routine was disrupted and he died suddenly (mum died the same day). The lesson I take from that does not lead to relaxation. The 20 years with his grandchildren outweighed anything else an he was very open about that.
See, my optimism towards life really does look naive and silly against that truly sad and harsh reality of your life experience. I guess we can all only draw from what we’ve been through personally. Perhaps there’s still a middle ground to be found for you that doesn’t involve changing food or BG levels. Maybe some lavender oils to aid with sleep so you’re not waking as early, so don’t feel as drained. I know I have no real answers for you. None of us do. Just don’t like to think of someone (even someone whom the only thing I really know is their daily FBG) being somewhat disheartened. You’ve been kind enough to reassure me when I’ve stressed about certain readings. Just wanted to attempt to do the same

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
See, my optimism towards life really does look naive and silly against that truly sad and harsh reality of your life experience. I guess we can all only draw from what we’ve been through personally. Perhaps there’s still a middle ground to be found for you that doesn’t involve changing food or BG levels. Maybe some lavender oils to aid with sleep so you’re not waking as early, so don’t feel as drained. I know I have no real answers for you. None of us do. Just don’t like to think of someone (even someone whom the only thing I really know is their daily FBG) being somewhat disheartened. You’ve been kind enough to reassure me when I’ve stressed about certain readings. Just wanted to attempt to do the same
Thanks @Emma_369 and I don't think you are naive or silly. I am not disheartened just working through how to optimise the effects of what I do. The drained issue is along the same lines - I could fairly easily exercise but not at any kind of level I would want. The kindness of your intentions is greatly appreciated. Something has clearly changed that I can't work out.

Reactions: DJC3 and Fenn