What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings from Yorkshire where I am currently applying vicks vapour rub to my nose after reading it fends off viruses! My mum has a stinking cold and chesty cough - clearly I’m worried about her but also selfishly thinking it may make the pre operative assessment due on Saturday not possible! In which case we’d have to come up again ....... oh that she lived around the corner from us.
I’m also wondering if we will make my cousins 10am funeral in the morning as mum may need drs appt which nowadays doesn’t mean a planned appointment but waiting by the telephone for dr to eventually ring back and decide if an appointment is needed! As she’s asthmatic we need to play safe.
We also had a lousy journey up lots of torrential rain and traffic. Still we are here safe that’s what counts.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch rollitos picnic
Dinner two lamb chops on mushrooms with red wine followed by jelly and cream.
Will see what tomorrow brings
Lots of hugs, you have a lot to cope with and I sympathise with the long journeys to be able to help and support loved ones, my partners parents are in Manchester and the journey is always so long and stressful nowadays. I hope you are able to ward off any bugs and that your mum is able to have her op. Thoughts with you for Friday too xx

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late posting as I’ve been helping my neighbour and then doing some online research for a rag doll request as Christmas present for my little granddaughter.
BG has been a bit up and down again but I’m convinced it is related to the unsettled feelings I’m experiencing at work.
Coffee wirth cream
B LivLife toasted with butter and homemade low carb jam, it was quite nice
L egg bakes with blue cheese dressing and small pack of pork scratchings
D pork chops, cauli, buttered kale, celeriac chunks roasted and a handful of peas and carrots followed by spoonful of homemade granola and cream

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings from Yorkshire where I am currently applying vicks vapour rub to my nose after reading it fends off viruses! My mum has a stinking cold and chesty cough - clearly I’m worried about her but also selfishly thinking it may make the pre operative assessment due on Saturday not possible! In which case we’d have to come up again ....... oh that she lived around the corner from us.
I’m also wondering if we will make my cousins 10am funeral in the morning as mum may need drs appt which nowadays doesn’t mean a planned appointment but waiting by the telephone for dr to eventually ring back and decide if an appointment is needed! As she’s asthmatic we need to play safe.
We also had a lousy journey up lots of torrential rain and traffic. Still we are here safe that’s what counts.
Lunch rollitos picnic
Dinner two lamb chops on mushrooms with red wine followed by jelly and cream.
Will see what tomorrow brings

Big hugs @shelley262 thinking of you this morning.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Hug to you @shelley262 it must have been a horrible journey, and now your poor mum is ill. I hope you manage to make to funeral and her pre op assessment.
Hug for you too @ianpspurs as you sound a bit down so I think you could do with one.
B: 2 rashers and a scrambled egg. Coffee and cream
L:Butcher’s shop roast beef with h/m coleslaw a gherkin and 2 cherry toms. Coffee and cream
D: IP chilli with spinach. Very small glass of red.
This wasn’t what I’d intended for dinner but we ended up with extra mouths in the shape of 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters so the 2 chicken breasts I’d got earlier had to be shoved back in the fridge.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for those who’s Thursday has been a bit rubbish.
Thanks for the hug. I wouldn't say I was down more doing my helicoptering routine and analysing (over) what is happening. I think I see too much of this through a prism of very deep scepticism about this whole WOE and that tints all my analysis. There remains a massive gulf between the sheer joy I get from cutting lawns or chopping wood and the too frequent loathing of the process of deciding if I eat and what I will tolerate that won't anger me on testing. There then follows 2 hours of dreading the actual numbers and frequent feelings that it really wasn't worth that number. A total contrast to physical exercise - do it, release endorphins relax. Yesterday was a perfect/extreme version of that. 5.3 2 hrs after a salad as only meal of the day is not doing it for me.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Playing catch up after a crazy few days at work. Not read through all the posts yet - that’s what weekends are for!

Think I last checked in on Tuesday but had a vat of cream once I got home from Manchester! Probably just as well as it carried me through Wednesday when I literally didn’t get time to eat during a horrendously busy day at work. Had a post work hair appointment so finally ate a Five Guys bunless bacon cheeseburger before braving Oxford Street to buy some new walking shoes.

Yesterday’s menu was lunch of smoked salmon and M&S whipped creamy cheese followed by 2 squares of Lindt 90%. So much easier to exert self-control when someone else has put the chocolate in the snack drawer and the disappearance of the whole bar would be an embarrassment! Dinner was 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 3 rashers streaky bacon and 1 fried egg.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Playing catch up after a crazy few days at work. Not read through all the posts yet - that’s what weekends are for!

Think I last checked in on Tuesday but had a vat of cream once I got home from Manchester! Probably just as well as it carried me through Wednesday when I literally didn’t get time to eat during a horrendously busy day at work. Had a post work hair appointment so finally ate a Five Guys bunless bacon cheeseburger before braving Oxford Street to buy some new walking shoes.

Yesterday’s menu was lunch of smoked salmon and M&S whipped creamy cheese followed by 2 squares of Lindt 90%. So much easier to exert self-control when someone else has put the chocolate in the snack drawer and the disappearance of the whole bar would be an embarrassment! Dinner was 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, 3 rashers streaky bacon and 1 fried egg.
Winner for food choices and battling through a tough patch. Hug for the workload (and reading my post)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the hug. I wouldn't say I was down more doing my helicoptering routine and analysing (over) what is happening. I think I see too much of this through a prism of very deep scepticism about this whole WOE and that tints all my analysis. There remains a massive gulf between the sheer joy I get from cutting lawns or chopping wood and the too frequent loathing of the process of deciding if I eat and what I will tolerate that won't anger me on testing. There then follows 2 hours of dreading the actual numbers and frequent feelings that it really wasn't worth that number. A total contrast to physical exercise - do it, release endorphins relax. Yesterday was a perfect/extreme version of that. 5.3 2 hrs after a salad as only meal of the day is not doing it for me.

Ian, have you considered building a database of your "safe" meals? I think we all probably have a list of "stuff" we know will be benign, and then stick with that for a couple of weeks, to give yourself from the torment you seem to have each day? With those benign meals, you could even have a rest from testing.

Sometimes, it's just good to build a bit of space into things, when we have a lot to compute.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian, have you considered building a database of your "safe" meals? I think we all probably have a list of "stuff" we know will be benign, and then stick with that for a couple of weeks, to give yourself from the torment you seem to have each day? With those benign meals, you could even have a rest from testing.

Sometimes, it's just good to build a bit of space into things, when we have a lot to compute.
Thanks. I thought I had that worked out but seems the database has been corrupted or there is a validation error - maybe I even specified the wrong degree of relationship. Either way, it is proving hard to normalise.:angelic:

Last edited:

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For breakfast I’ve had my new magic meal of 2 low carb ground almond waffles with 2 poach eggs. Big batch made up in the freezer, straight into the toaster for 2 mins.

Lunch will be some roast chicken slices and 150g of cucumber split down the middle with around 60g of peanut butter, I now use Aldi’s own whole foods one which is only 7.9g carb per 100g so hit my 12g carbs and protein very easily. It also takes seconds to prepare.

Dinner will be steak and broccoli, cauliflower gratin with a almond waffle with fresh cream and sugar free syrup.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Trying to remember when I last posted (it has been one of those weeks!) but I have had 2 lunches of freshly defrosted Atlantic prawns (after a lecture from my mother about the good and bad prawn choices) both with that lovely avo mayo on them. Love that stuff.

Then there was one supper of lamb leg and kidney, with cream. Will be doing that again!
And last night a turkey thing I got from Tescos. Basically turkey breast wrapped around 'pork sausagemeat' cooked from frozen in less than 2 hours.
Well, won't bother with that again. No identifiable pork content whatsoever, although the turkey was nice. The stuffing was this weird green (herbs? although couldn't taste any) mushy paste. Not good. Can do much better myself. We have some left, but I think that may end up going down Mr B's neck, not mine.

Also haven't hit my fat : protein marcros for the last couple of days - as a direct result of trying to reduce my dairy. Lobbing cream into stuff is just such an easy way of balancing things. Ah well, need to get back on track and resolve the carni fat dilemma, because I definitely feel much better when things are properly tweaked.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much of today was like being in a play or novel written for and starring me with the express intention of delighting me. Large parts of the day were fuelled by tea and endorphins and I loved it.
Then there was the anguish over what to eat or drink, the anticipation of the 3 or 4 drops of blood and the numbers on a meter which quite literally sucked all the joy out of the world.
Breakfast: - Lots of tea -initial burst of 2x1.5 pints Orange Pekoe; 2 pint top up of Assam with girlies; used the better coffee machine and milk frother toy to make a latte thing in between (Soya milk)- pleased with myself for using the toys
Dockey : Tea
Lunch : Tea then 75 mins cutting lawns
Mid Afternoon: Tea then hr dog walk
Evening meal: Avocado and Mackerel salad with heap plenty chia seeds
There is so much to ponder on here and lessons to learn.
@ziggy_w is Martinstag a thing in your area/past - I know the date will be Sunday but I bought our Goose today (part of the delights)

Hi @ianpspurs,

Yes, Martinstag is celebrated here, though not generally associated with a goose dinner. Goose is more of a traditional christmas dinner here, usually served with potato dumplings and spiced red cabbage (red cabbage cooked in vinegar, sugar, and goose fat and spiced with cinnamon, cloves, allspice and other christmassy spices.

There are two important traditions associated with Martinstag. One is called Laternelaufen (roughly translated as latern walking), when large groups of children holding laterns walk through the streets at night singing songs. The other tradition is Martinssingen (Martin's singing). You see smaller groups of children go from door to door offering a song and a blessing in exchange for a gift (usually a bit of money) -- so not quite unlike trick or treating, just no scary customes.

How about were you are from? Are there any traditions associated with it?

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@shelley262 -- Hugs. Sounds as if this is quite a stressful time for all of you. Hope your mother will get over the cold soon and that you will avoid catching it. Please take care of yourself.

Woke up to significantly higher blood sugars yesterday, so decided to take some action and cut down on food. Wasn't quite fasing, but got close.

Breakfast: Two decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A wiener sausage.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Four pecans and one square of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Out with some colleagues after a long day at work. Two glasses of red wine. Nothing to eat.

Home before bed: One babybel cheese.

Blood sugars this morning were definitely much more acceptable.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to Wednesday for me. Bed 4.7 FBG 4.1. Had a couple of 3.7 but seems to be more stable now.
B. Was the DD coconut porridge that Rachox loves so much. Very filling. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Another DD recipe. The chicken breast stuffed with the cream cheese and chilli but I change it slightly. I use the Philly with chilli in it, mix with some of Morrisons grated 4 cheese, add a chopped chilli and 1/2 chopped pepper. Batter out chicken breast, stuff with cheese mix and wrap in streaky bacon to keep stuffing in. Brown in a pan then pop in oven for about 20 mins (until cooked). I had it with guacamole, sour cream , lettuce and tomato.
Blackberries and cream.
Yesterday - Thursday
Bed 4.9 FBG 5.4 and no silly dips. Nice and stable. Back to Aqua Zumba today too. Relined pool is great. Not slipping at all.
B. Back to the DD breakfast sandwich. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Grenade Bar - Birthday Cake. Left most of it. Was like eating raw cake mix. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Bunless burger with a cheese slice, mushrooms, some avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, mustard.
Scoop of Halo Top and blackberries.

Today - Friday

Bed 5 FBG 5.4. Dips are sticking to low 4's and I'm hanging about the 4's during the day so I'm happy with that.

B. DD pancakes. As always I changed it. Used the cottage cheese and egg but added a little coconut flour to it. Served with cream , raspberries and a little of the Lakanto Monk Fruit maple syrup.
L. A mint Grenade Bar - going swimming with No 1
D. Another burger with a cheese slice, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms and mustard.

Just getting ready to go swimming now and introduce No 1 to the new relined pool. I've even convinced him to join the fortnightly Lego Group at the library next week so that's real progress for a shy boy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs,

Yes, Martinstag is celebrated here, though not generally associated with a goose dinner. Goose is more of a traditional christmas dinner here, usually served with potato dumplings and spiced red cabbage (red cabbage cooked in vinegar, sugar, and goose fat and spiced with cinnamon, cloves, allspice and other christmassy spices.

There are two important traditions associated with Martinstag. One is called Laternelaufen (roughly translated as latern walking), when large groups of children holding laterns walk through the streets at night singing songs. The other tradition is Martinssingen (Martin's singing). You see smaller groups of children go from door to door offering a song and a blessing in exchange for a gift (usually a bit of money) -- so not quite unlike trick or treating, just no scary customes.

How about were you are from? Are there any traditions associated with it?
Thanks for that information about Martinstag - sounds like a good time of the year. To be honest I would be surprised if many British people knew of Martinmas these days. I like the idea of making as many links to my roots as possible and especially trying to understand how their religion was intimately intertwined with their day to day life.
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Martinmas/
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/activities/view.cfm?id=1193

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Martinstag is celebrated here...

There are two important traditions associated with Martinstag. One is called Laternelaufen (roughly translated as latern walking), when large groups of children holding laterns walk through the streets at night singing songs.

I remember doing this walk one year when we lived in Luneburg. We had a German housekeeper, Hildegarde, and she acted as a sort of kind auntie to me and my little sister, and we did various German type things with her including this walk. We carried paper lanterns on sticks and lit by little candles and sang,
Laterne, Laterne
Sonne, Mond und Sterne...
I found the song via Google, but some of the words we sang were slightly different.

Robbity

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember doing this walk one year when we lived in Luneburg. We had a German housekeeper, Hildegarde, and she acted as a sort of kind auntie to me and my little sister, and we did various German type things with her including this walk. We carried paper lanterns on sticks and lit by little candles and sang,
Laterne, Laterne
Sonne, Mond und Sterne...
I found the song via Google, but some of the words we sang were slightly different.

Robbity

Hi @Robbity,

I have almost the same exact memory. I remember enjoying it very much as a kid -- especially as being allowed out in the dark was rare back then. Never did the Martin-singer thing though (maybe a good idea anyway as I'm a really bad singer).

Do children celebrate St. Nicholas' day (Dec. 6) in Britain?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: - Lots of tea -initial burst (5.00 ish) of 2x1.5 pints Orange Pekoe; 2 pint top up of Assam with girlies; 3 waitrose chipolatas and 2 rashers streaky bacon in Schneiderbrot high protein bread with low sugar tomato ketchup
Dockey : Tea then dog walk
Lunch : Avocado and mackerel with 3 flaxseed crispbreads
Mid Afternoon: Nothing
Evening meal: Lamb shank in IP ( has a Lamb shank setting helpfully) with veg stock and bone stock made in IP; celeriac and cauliflower mash; roast sprouts and cauliflower

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Seem to have joined the thread’s erratic BG club. Hoping it’s the current tub of strips.

FBG 4.3. Stayed in 4s all morning, 4.1 before lunch then shot up to 6.2 on smoked salmon and cream cheese! Still in 5s before dinner of ribeye steak with garlic butter.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all from a currently rainy and windy Yorkshire. Well funeral went as well as these things can he was relatively young well in my opinion as he was only one year older than me! His mum who is 86 and has terminal cancer was clearly lost but the service was very well done and comforting and good to see all the older generation together - in their 80s - my mum. Two aunts and an uncle all managed to have a good reminiscence together with my mum who’s 87 nearly 88 at the funeral lunch. Pleased could support my mum and other relatives. Went to drs too this pm and mum now on steroids as she’s not well but def bit improved this evening so it’s clearly her asthma from a cold rather than a chest infection. So hoping she’ll be well enough for pre operative assessment in morning at hospital.
Lunch at funeral range of cheese ( other offerings people tucked into include pork pies, sausage rolls, bread and dripping, very bready sandwiches, scones and egg custards in pastry) pleased to find the cheese! Think I heard my polar opposite at the buffet she was complaining about the high fat content and that she’d need to take the fillings out of the sandwiches and pies and just eat the bread @nd pastry! She gave me quite a look when I just loaded my plate with piles of cheese and looked my thin body up and down suffice it to say she had a lot of middle!) you couldn’t make it up.
Dinner pork casserole with roasted butternut squash followed by LC lemon cake and cream.
Hope everyone had a good day.