Getting back to fitness

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well taking the plunge to get back to fitness l’ve joined a gym (not open until December). But walking in the cold weather and dark nights frankly ain’t happening. Did. Bit a short while ago but really found out how unfit l have let myself get. Ps 5 7”. 17 1/2 stone

Anyone any good plans tips apps to recommend. I have done couch to 5k before but really feel lm not near even starting this

I know l need to change my lifestyle (food and fitness) but just confused where to start /keep motivated

Reactions: Safi and pjayem1964

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Hibby65. I find downloading no some really good music that you find enjoyable helps. For me it is ‘fast car music’, the type to drive
to helps me. I’ve built up to couch to 5k by a few weights and then a 30 power walk on the treadmill. Then I introduced the couch to 5k by running a minute and walking two etc etc. It is all about Keeping moving and to be honest my BG is better after a 30 min power walk than really going for it. Slowly does it. Best of luck.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look on Youtube for some beginner body weight exercise routines - that will help you increase your strength/muscle so that when the gym opens in December you'll be off to a good start :) Muscle is great for metabolic health.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well taking the plunge to get back to fitness l’ve joined a gym (not open until December). But walking in the cold weather and dark nights frankly ain’t happening. Did. Bit a short while ago but really found out how unfit l have let myself get. Ps 5 7”. 17 1/2 stone

Anyone any good plans tips apps to recommend. I have done couch to 5k before but really feel lm not near even starting this

I know l need to change my lifestyle (food and fitness) but just confused where to start /keep motivated

Hi hibby, well done you! I splashed out and bought a treadmill for the garage (cost about a years worth of gym membership!).Having said that, you wouldn't believe how hard it is (sometimes) to even get as far as the garage on a dark winter night!

Reactions: Flora123

miltondogs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes but my dogs love to go out day/night rain or sun cold or warm and it helps to keep my blood count down from high 20s to around 15s still high but it helps

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes but my dogs love to go out day/night rain or sun cold or warm and it helps to keep my blood count down from high 20s to around 15s still high but it helps

Hi Milton, I know but I was thinking about the OP saying that walking about on cold and dark nights WASN'T going to happen. I am a great advocate of any exercise.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I can highly recommend getting a kettlebell. And if you don't want to go out on these dark nights, Leslie Sansom does walking on you tube. Easy to do.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Start slow, don't expect miracles! Although if youve trained up to 5K runs in the past, you should have an idea for a goal. Like do that again, then 8Km, then improve your time or go mad and go further.

Walks would be a start, and you'd be properly fat burning. No need for expensive gym memberships, just get cold. Body will try to keep you at a happy 37C or so and burn calories to do so. Some athletes even pay big money for expensive walk-in freezer treatments.

Avoid hypothermia though, or problems due to not doing a proper warm up. Like freezer burns or cracking.

Something like a treadmill or exercise bike would help get cardio working, then kettle bells or exercise bands to do resistance and core strength training.

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cheers folks - took advantage of free pass to the local sports centre and would say I enjoyed the gym part - took it easy and sensible but still felt very unfit and old. The worse part was going swimming. Was never a great swimmer but thought I was OK. Jeez was getting overtaken by pensioners in the slow lane and was knackered just trying to do 2 lengths in a 25 mtr pool,. Still it was better than nothing. Was very aware of my moods the next day though feeling sore and useless - always been my achiles heel. Still battling on - thanks for the comments and support

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers folks - took advantage of free pass to the local sports centre and would say I enjoyed the gym part - took it easy and sensible but still felt very unfit and old. The worse part was going swimming. Was never a great swimmer but thought I was OK. Jeez was getting overtaken by pensioners in the slow lane and was knackered just trying to do 2 lengths in a 25 mtr pool,. Still it was better than nothing. Was very aware of my moods the next day though feeling sore and useless - always been my achiles heel. Still battling on - thanks for the comments and support

Hibby, you deserve a medal in my opinion, you got out there and you moved your body! Forget those annoying pensioners (!), before long you will be powering past 'em. Seriously though, those pensioners are an inspiration actually. Keep at it and by 4 or so weeks, you will be loving it. x