Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, I've been using the Libre Sensor for a couple months now, I am currently putting a new one on as the other has now run out but I've just looked at where it was and have this bruise there, which is quite sore. Has this happened to anyone else? And where shall I put the sensor now?
Screenshot_20181105-183426_Gallery.jpg

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had that a couple of times, nothing to worry about just put your next sensor in your other arm and it should be all healed up next tine you use that arm!!

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes I get small bruising, though I think at the beginning it was caused by me trying to unstick the thing from my arm as it stuck like superglue.

I tend to swap arms between sensors so it gives each arm a rest before the next one is used, also try not to put them in the same place as previously but that's more guesswork as there is no mark after 2 weeks :)

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

Podmonger

My wife uses a Freestyle Libre and when removing the sensor, it's as if she has peeled off a layer of skin with the sensor, it is sore and takes a month to heal completely.

Abbot Laboratories just told her to stop using the Libre and see a doctor. Her DSN suggested going to see a practice nurse and trying to use an intermediate dressing - the idea is to put on a very thin layer with a different adhesive and a small hole in its centre for the sensor needle to poke through, then apply the sensor over it.

My wife hasn't tried this yet, she wants to do it with a nurse to help for the first time. Then she will need to monitor the Libre results with her Contour Next finger prick meter to be sure that the sensor still reads as it should.

NB We don't know if this will work but it seems the only solution at present, so we hope it does. A skin protector spray didn't help. The DSN thought Tegaderm might be useable because it is made of a thin film. We'd be glad to know if anyone else has tried this already. We'll report back when/if my wife has had a go at it.

Attachments

• sorearm.jpg
    sorearm.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 317

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, when I took off my first senser I got a loverly circle bruise but noe just a slight one which fades within a couple of dats

RichardFromHampshire

I was using my Libre for 3 months and utterly loved it - unfortunately I had a dermatological reaction to it and am now unable to use it (which sucks as I enjoyed not doing the finger pricking and my wife liked being able to check my BSL any time she wanted),. I have not yet tried any alternative barrier methods because the reaction was so bad - it has left my arm marked (and was very painful for a few weeks). I sincerely hope you don't suffer anything similar.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was using my Libre for 3 months and utterly loved it - unfortunately I had a dermatological reaction to it and am now unable to use it (which sucks as I enjoyed not doing the finger pricking and my wife liked being able to check my BSL any time she wanted),. I have not yet tried any alternative barrier methods because the reaction was so bad - it has left my arm marked (and was very painful for a few weeks). I sincerely hope you don't suffer anything similar.

Try 4 layers of Cavilon spray underneath. Have had good results so far.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think the best way is to alternate between arms and if possible try to avoid using the same location where you had the Libre previously, giving you arm time to heal up.

When I take my sensor off, I simply use warm water and put liquid soap on the arm first. Rub it in then wash off with warm water. I also then use "CHILDS FARM" moisturiser, which is very gentle on skin and that does the trick. I appreciate we are all different and what works for me may not work for others.

I am not on commision from Childs Farm , honest, but I find it brilliant not only for my arm but on my feet which have some hard skin. This was recommended by the podiatrist about a month ago and its made a huge difference

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think the best way is to alternate between arms and if possible try to avoid using the same location where you had the Libre previously, giving you arm time to heal up.

When I take my sensor off, I simply use warm water and put liquid soap on the arm first. Rub it in then wash off with warm water. I also then use "CHILDS FARM" moisturiser, which is very gentle on skin and that does the trick. I appreciate we are all different and what works for me may not work for others.

I am not on commision from Childs Farm , honest, but I find it brilliant not only for my arm but on my feet which have some hard skin. This was recommended by the podiatrist about a month ago and its made a huge difference

Unfortunately if you have a derma-logical reaction to it. It requires a lot more action than this. Your body is basically saying I do not like this foreign body. There is an allergy Facebook page with 3000 users going to huge lengths to keep persevering with this product. Spraying anti-histamine, using blister packs and even taking off the sticky pad and putting hypo allergenic tape on instead. The Cavillon I am spraying underneath at the moment has started to allow irritation on the 6th sensor so it is the blister pack next. So annoying though, as it makes the whole thing even more expensive when self funding. Plus there are the lucky others who have no reaction. I am sure by the time I get NHS funding I will no longer be able to wear it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There is an allergy Facebook page with 3000 users going to huge lengths to keep persevering with this product.
Well, I'm one of those who has given up. I think you need to be careful with allergic reactions to make sure that they don't turn into something worse.... (Though I admit that in my case the choice is easy because the allergy combined with the product no longer giving me any semblance of consistent results.)

Podmonger

My wife's practice nurse fitted her with a Tegaderm layer under the sensor - in place for a fortnight now. It seems stable, with a bit of micropore tape over any loosening edges. She is going to have the sensor changed tomorrow so the practice nurse can see for herself how well it has worked. If all there is no allergic reaction caused by an allergen passing through the Tegaderm, we have found the way to go. I'll report back when we know.

dwrp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Skin irritations from using Freestyle Libre
I have strong allergies with adhesives. I have been using an application of a skin barrier. I use this as well for my pump site infusion sets too. But this has helped me with less irritating skin problems.
ReliaMed Protective Barrier Wipe is the brand I use most often. But I have 3 brands and all of them work well and do not interfere with the readings of my Freestyle Libre sensor. I hope this might be useful for some. My skin breaks out with blisters and red itching sores. So I have to use something to stop direct contact with my skin and the adhesive. So far so good.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use alcohol hand foam to remove mine. I put some around the edges, give it a minute to settle in then remove the sensor. It makes the glue more gloopy and easier to remive

Podmonger

My wife has removed the Libre sensor after using a Tegaderm IV plaster under it as a barrier. She still has mild contact dermatitis from it but less severe than before. Some people find an interleaf works, some don't, it seems. There are medical research articles published on the problem, discussing both an allergic reaction and a contact dermatitis. I guess we will just have to wait for Abbott to find an answer if they can.

Reactions: Carlton1512