Frightened and confused

BRITGRAN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been struggling to get my BS under 7, having to stop taking Metformin because of unpleasant side effects I was put on one Dapagliflozin daily , I eat very low carb but lose no weight and my weight is an issue ....I have researched lots of information about what not to eat , I'm always learning something new and try so hard to get under 7, my DN today told me my hba1c was 7.7 so the Dapagliflozin wasn't working she prescribed me 25mg of Alogliptin one a day......she also told me I have a fatty liver and my cholesterol is raised which I confess has frightened me , she suggested I eat low carb low fat , I thought it was low carb high fat, I've just been reading about fatty liver and I think I understand it's not fat but carbs that cause the problem.....oh and alcohol which isn't an issue.....I'm so confused , can anybody advise me please

Reactions: Daisy_Daisy

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a deep breath.

What did you eat yesterday please. We may be able to tweak your diet. I am not on your meds so can't help.

Reactions: BRITGRAN

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been struggling to get my BS under 7, having to stop taking Metformin because of unpleasant side effects I was put on one Dapagliflozin daily , I eat very low carb but lose no weight and my weight is an issue ....I have researched lots of information about what not to eat , I'm always learning something new and try so hard to get under 7, my DN today told me my hba1c was 7.7 so the Dapagliflozin wasn't working she prescribed me 25mg of Alogliptin one a day......she also told me I have a fatty liver and my cholesterol is raised which I confess has frightened me , she suggested I eat low carb low fat , I thought it was low carb high fat, I've just been reading about fatty liver and I think I understand it's not fat but carbs that cause the problem.....oh and alcohol which isn't an issue.....I'm so confused , can anybody advise me please
It is low carb high fat, it's just that not everyone 's on the same page yet. Fatty liver and high cholesterol are often part and parcel with T2, and they can all improve significantly on lchf. I know my liver was a wreck before. Not so now. Cholesterol's better too. What are you eating/drinking on a day to day basis? Maybe we can help?

BRITGRAN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat eggs , cheese, nuts, meats and vegetables, berries with creme fraiche and artificial sweetener,cucumber with cream cheese occasional all day full english breakfast with no potato no beans no toast...I rarely eat breakfast and sometimes have 4 cream crackers with butter and cheese, yesterday for example I had no breakfast a handful of nuts and 2 slices of gouda cheese at lunch dinner was homemade shepherd pie with mashed carrot and Swede topping with green beans.....I drink coffee with full fat milk and lemon and lime sparkling water, I don't exercise as much as I should....

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat eggs , cheese, nuts, meats and vegetables, berries with creme fraiche and artificial sweetener,cucumber with cream cheese occasional all day full english breakfast with no potato no beans no toast...I rarely eat breakfast and sometimes have 4 cream crackers with butter and cheese, yesterday for example I had no breakfast a handful of nuts and 2 slices of gouda cheese at lunch dinner was homemade shepherd pie with mashed carrot and Swede topping with green beans.....I drink coffee with full fat milk and lemon and lime sparkling water, I don't exercise as much as I should....
Are you keeping a food diary? Are you testing before and after you eat?

What is the carb content for your crackers? I could eat a couple of crackers 2g carb each but I would have got a huge spike from 4 crackers.

Another thing is portion control. A huge bowl of homemade mushroom soup gave me a huge spike. The same soup in a cereal bowl the next day gave me barely a blip.

Carrot and swede topping. Have you tested these to see if they give you a problem. I use celeriac as a topping , I wouldn't go back to potatoes now!

Everyone is different and it's really frustrating. I seem to be able to tolerate more carbs now than when I first started.

I still try and stick to under 20g per day.

Daisy_Daisy

@BRITGRAN read and research Dr Jason Fung he has several Books on Amazon.. he is a Nephrologist in Canada..look into IF Intermittent FASTING.. this is the only action that gets my BS down..and I wont continue on INSULIN. I am taking Gliclazide 80mgs BD, does not help much.. Tried all the others, with very bad side effects..
INSULIN makes you put on weight, is a vicious cycle..
Dr Fung promotes Intermittent Fasting for Reversing Insulin Resistance. Low carbs is good 40 grams a day.. Adequate to continue losing weight 16/8 window.
You will have Fatty Liver at this stage and this effects all readings HBa1C, Cholesterol, Uric Acid, and Hypertension..
Hi Fat is good.. Forget the Calorific issue its the Sugar starch, Glucose levels that is the problem. I am learning everyday with this condition and Fasting is the answer not Drugs..
See Links on U tube for lectures.

Keep in touch I can give you more information..

The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss.

The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

BRITGRAN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@BRITGRAN read and research Dr Jason Fung he has several Books on Amazon.. he is a Nephrologist in Canada..look into IF Intermittent FASTING.. this is the only action that gets my BS down..and I wont continue on INSULIN. I am taking Gliclazide 80mgs BD, does not help much.. Tried all the others, with very bad side effects..
INSULIN makes you put on weight, is a vicious cycle..
Dr Fung promotes Intermittent Fasting for Reversing Insulin Resistance. Low carbs is good 40 grams a day.. Adequate to continue losing weight 16/8 window.
You will have Fatty Liver at this stage and this effects all readings HBa1C, Cholesterol, Uric Acid, and Hypertension..
Hi Fat is good.. Forget the Calorific issue its the Sugar starch, Glucose levels that is the problem. I am learning everyday with this condition and Fasting is the answer not Drugs..
See Links on U tube for lectures.

RGN Diphe
Keep in touch I can give you more information..

The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss.

The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
Thank you..... it's so frustrating, I have bought The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung which I will be reading over the weekend, I frequently fast during the day today for instance I didn't eat until 5pm then had roast Turkey a few parsnips (yes I know they have carbs ) cauli, red cabbage, leeks and a spoonful of gravy, two hours later and my BS was 11.9, I'm not feeling 100% so maybe that's also raised it,

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@BRITGRAN you need to check your bs before eating too so that you can see the rise - anything over 2 is too much. I personally wouldn't touch parsnips or gravy but I can eat 80gm of new potatoes without much impact on bs. I also can't fast as my bs just keeps rising until I eat, so again I suggest you check your bs more often. I test when I get up, then 2 hours after breakfast. If I skip breakfast then my bs goes up and up ........ We are all different and you need to find out what works for you.
When I was first diagnosed I tested many times a day, kept a food diary and exercised (mainly brisk walking) after every meal.

BRITGRAN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be honest I think if I look at a carb my BS goes up , and I'm being serious....I will start and test before a meal I will also go back to basics and keep a food diary, I do avoid all starchy carbs but I'm going to have to look at everything I eat now

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good idea. My b's has been creeping up for the last 3 months. I have abandoned all desserts and like you, have gone back to basics.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest that you do go low carb. Cut out the cream crackers, shepherd pies and Swede and carrots these are high carb. It sounds more like high carb, high fat.
You are not eating enough that could be the reason. You could experiencing a liver dump because of continuing fasting. Cut out high carb foods, crackers, Swede, carrots and go for green veg. You need to eat more meat, by increasing meat protein you are less likely to snack. That's what you are eating is snack food's. By eating properly the body will not think its in starvation mode. Not eating by 5pm is not good.
Test before and after prandial, keep a diary. Increase meat protien, greens, so on

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi :D

What happens to your blood glucose when you skip meals? (More testing I’m afraid!). It is only a problem if your blood glucose rises significantly without food, so testing will show you what happens. Personally, I find skipping meals both easy and helpful, rarely eat breakfast, and can’t stand snacking.

Fung’s Obesity Code should explain what happens to insulin levels when we snack regularly on carbs, but snacking on non carbs won’t be problematic, if you want to do that.

The key thing (once you are testing before and 2hrs after food) is to notice when the reading is more than 2mmol/l higher on the second reading. If it is, then there were more carbs in the meal/snack than your body could cope with. Think about what you ate and next time swap out the carbs for something else, or just reduce the portion size. You will quickly get an excellent idea of what works and what doesn’t. :D