Type 2 Should we be a little more cautious of following the Keto diet ?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been on a Keto 'fad' lifestyle for over four years and my health has improved from being really bad to perfect in that time.
Sustainable ketogenic lifestyle is going to give me a long life, carbs were killing me!

And yes, I agree, a balanced diet is essential, but without the carbs!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There seems a strong connection between red meat and developing some cancers according to Cancer Research UK.
I take gliclazide which boosts insulin production and needs to be balanced. I tried last year to see if I could control by diet alone and was unsuccessful. I have had side effects with metformin and linagliptin.

Glicizide is a drug that is designed to give you a better insulin response, when eating.
The best advice I have heard about glicizide is to maintain blood glucose levels just above normal, so the possibility of a hypo diminishes. Also, if you do get the symptoms of a hypo, you may need to consult your GP about a dosage reduction.
The other reason for the drug is probably because you have insulin resistance.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting this link - Going vegan would also seem to be going to another extreme. I think we all need to have a balanced diet which includes some protein fish, eggs but not processed or red meat, some fat and some carbohydrate (to avoid hypos) and a lot of non-starchy vegetables
I certainly don't feel I need carbohydrates as a type 2 and red meat is a very nutritious food that humans have eaten for ever!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems a strong connection between red meat and developing some cancers according to Cancer Research UK.
I take gliclazide which boosts insulin production and needs to be balanced. I tried last year to see if I could control by diet alone and was unsuccessful. I have had side effects with metformin and linagliptin.
I believe in the research, they lumped red and processed meat together.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing about leading cardiologists is...that if they admit they have been wrong for years then they are admitting they aren't really leading cardiologists. My own cardiologist told me to switch from butter to low fat spread. He didn't really explain why but said that heart disease is increasing. Later he also said that the use of low fat spread is increasing and that people were getting the message to eat less butter. I took this to mean he didn't really understand statistics or logic or what he was talking about and so I stuck to eating butter.

dipsydo

I am afraid that there is a concerted effort to tell everyone that red meat is bad for one . Indeed the researcher who suggested a meat tax was on the radio stating that meat causes amongst other things type 2 diabetes ( as well as heart attacks cancer and no doubt other things it seems that almost single handily it is causes the NHS crisis).
On radio four there was a phone in programme about taking control of your own health and one person who phoned up and explained how a keto diet had helped their diabetes was closed down fairly quickly with the comment that you should not remove carbs from your diet .

While I am not ultra low carb I know that reducing carbs to low carb has made a substantial beneficial impact on my health . I know it may not work for everyone but I would like the establishment to accept that maybe that there may be issues with the current dietary advice for those who are find that high carb diets does not help their blood sugars . I know that it is possible to go low carb on a vegan diet but removing a component such as meat and making it expensive could disadvantage people particularly those on limited income.

Reactions: Guzzler