Endoscopy

chrissieworne

Hi all
Am recovering from suspected Gastritis beacsue of severe stomach pains and distension. I had a Pelvic scan to make sure nothing sinister going on in the lady bits!! Luckily all ok.
Am now waiting for an Endoscopy and am frightened of it as I had one done about 20yrs ago and it was the worst experience ever. Has anyone had this done recently, is there any chance of being "put under" or at least doped up?

Thanks Chrissie

Reactions: 2 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I had 1 done last sept I was given sedation but unfortunately it didn't make a difference to me!

annettekp

My other half had one a few weeks ago. He wasn't keen to have much time off work so they sprayed his throat with numbing stuff. Told him this was the norm nowadays but if it hadn't worked they would have sedated him.

Probably depends on current hospital policy.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
my son had one but being only 5 he was put under dont know if they only do that for children tho as my step mum had one and she was awake might be worth asking ur consultant

anna marie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Chrissie,

Definitely go for the sedation if you don't think the throat spray will be enough, I had it done without either and I can tell you it wasn't very pleasant and wished I had opted for the sedation. Good luck and hope all goes well!

Nigel

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep, I had sedation and don't remember a thing about it at all.....I got told if offered sedation-take it-so I made a point of asking for it.....and honest, don't remeber a single thing!!!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Sedation every time, I've had all sorts of procedures in hospital due to a motorbike accident but I think i'd rather have the catheter inserted again than an endoscopy! And yet on their notes they said I tolerated the procedure well, so christ knows what a bad one feels like.

hallii

It's not so bad, throat spray works OK and if you swallow when told, down it goes!

Just make sure it's not the one they use for the other end, or if it is that they have washed it well :D

H

chrissieworne

Yuck

Thanks for all your advice !!!!

I think I will ask for the sedation and the numb spray then! Haven't a date yet, GP asked for an urgent appt and am still waiting!

Chris. x

chrissieworne

Hi all

Here I am again !!! having my gastroscopy tues and have been told I can have either throat spray OR sedation....not both, :?:

I can't decide what's best, what you think? :?: Appt at 4.30!! it said ring if yr Diabetic, I rang and advised I would rather an am appt because I would have fasted overnight and tend to be highish first thing. :!: I also said as on Glic I am concerned I may get really low by 4.30 if no food since 6hrs before. :( They said, oh, if yr worried come early and we'll keep an eye on you. :D I said but I can't eat or drink to bring bg up can I? and they said no. :?: When I asked what will happen then if I do go low they said ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Well, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. :evil:

Wonder why I now have added anxiety!!! Grrr.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Chris

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi. when I had one done I was told to be there at 8.30am n was the first one in then could eat afterwards n it kept me safe! I would raise this question with them, ask IF you can be seen n done as earlly as possible? thus avoiding any problems later on. Let us know how u get on. Anna. x

chrissieworne

Oh god what a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

Ended up with my first serious hypo :cry: while at hospital awaiting gastroscopy so put on a glucose drip, felt terrible and very scared but after 20 mins felt better. (had dropped to 3.3, how bad/dangerous is that?)

They didn't want me to have the sedation as they said it would delay me being able to eat/drink after so I reluctantly agreed to having throat spray only. :evil: I have never felt so scared in all my life and it was truly horrible. It took ages because they wanted to go as far into the 2nd part of the Duodenum as poss and they pumped so much gas in the pain was intolerable. :evil: :evil:

In the end they diagnosed Gastritis and took 4 biopsies to check for Helibactor infection and because there appears to be "a sore spot" in the duodenum, (prob due to the gastritis).

I arrived at hospital at 2.pm due to my bg dropping, my appt was at 4.20 but didn't get done until 6pm, eventually allowed home at 7pm, am feeling incredibly uncomfortable due to the gas and tearful as I am scared about results.

So, all in all a day to recall for all the wrong reasons! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Chrissie

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
The only good thing about such a day is that it's over now-and with a diagnosis treatment can begin so you'll soon have your bounce back!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Chrissie,

Sounds like you had a awful experience yesterday and hope you are feeling much better today!

Nigel

chrissieworne

Hi all

Am feeling much better today thanks apart from a really bad throat. :roll: It feels as though it is closing up but I can eat and drink okay. It looks very red all round the sides and I feel sore where my adam's apple is !!! :oops:

I did call them and they suggested I gargle with soluble aspirin then if I don't want to swallow it due to tummy troubles, spit it out. That does seem to help. I was worried because I know I gagged so badly several times and thought I may have done myself damage.

Feel shell shocked and I don't know how bad my hypo was compared to what can happen but at least on reflection I now know what it feels like and it's horrid, however, I recovered well and quickly once on the drip.

Thanks for all yr care and support. :D :D :D

On the up, both carpal ops done now, no more problems at all, second one was done 2 weeks ago and is healing beautifully so am optimistic bout that!! :lol: :lol:

Chris

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is the procedure if you are on a Pump? Had one before when on MDI.

paullp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
Am recovering from suspected Gastritis beacsue of severe stomach pains and distension. I had a Pelvic scan to make sure nothing sinister going on in the lady bits!! Luckily all ok.
Am now waiting for an Endoscopy and am frightened of it as I had one done about 20yrs ago and it was the worst experience ever. Has anyone had this done recently, is there any chance of being "put under" or at least doped up?

Thanks Chrissie
ive sufferd barrets syndrome for some while now i hav an endiscopy every 2 too 3 years as it can turn cancerouse luckely hasnt yet ime type 2 diabetis now too the point if you ask youre doctor that you want sedated he will have it sent on the notes for you sedation is qwick easley done no pain or discomfort job done 10 mins ya out of there feeling drowsey for a bit but need too be kept an eye on for the day no work but as i say ive been having it done for the last 15 years and no probs yet you have too sign a document well an agreement that is ok for it too be done yes be sedated dont do spray doesnt go down WELL
hope that helps