Sick Of Libre

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have been so many issues with it, particularly over the last 4-6 months I cant even be bothereed ro get replacements from Abbot anymore
- poor adhesion
- numerous straight out of the box failures
- dodgy readings on 4 sensors
I then started to itch when the sensor was on and told by pharmacist that I appear to have an allergy to the metal in the filament ( apparently uncommon whereas allergy to the glue is being increasingly reported in pharmacists journals )and that I should not use libre for 6 months unless taking antihitamines. Not what I wanted to hear, particularly as I had 6 sensors, (mostly made up of replacements for previous failed sensors) that would expire within the next 4 months.
Abbot said they would only refund 2 sensors,as a “goodwill gesture”, so i deided to use one of the others alongside antihitamine tabs to at least track bg changes
No itching, but the sensor is consistently reading 3-4 mmol off showing 2’s and 3’s whereas finger pricks are showing 5-7
I think the Libre is a fantastic idea but was probably rushed out with insufficient testing & quality assurance

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s such a shame, I wonder if some peoples’ bodies just don’t like whatever they use to coat the filament to stop the body attackimg it? So far, I’ve found them really accurate, I love them.

Reactions: ringi and kitedoc

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought about using one but I am seriously allergic to sticking plasters and even micro pore tape so decided against it. I just know I would end up with a 'burn' on my skin. I'm sorry it's not worked out well for you @Boo1979

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Allergy reaction to nickel occurs and I wonder whether that may be in the metal component.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Allergy reaction to nickel occurs and I wonder whether that may be in the metal component.
Don’t think so, as I’m highly allergic to nickel, and haven’t reacted to them ... yet. I don’t think they’d be allowed to use it in an implantable, as it’s banned even in jewellery in the EU.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There have been so many issues with it, particularly over the last 4-6 months I cant even be bothereed ro get replacements from Abbot anymore
- poor adhesion
I then started to itch when the sensor was on and told by pharmacist that I appear to have an allergy to the metal in the filament ( apparently uncommon whereas allergy to the glue is being increasingly reported in pharmacists journals )and that I should not use libre for 6 months unless taking antihitamines. Not what I wanted to hear, particularly as I had 6 sensors, (mostly made up of replacements for previous failed sensors) that would expire within the next 4 months.
Abbot said they would only refund 2 sensors,as a “goodwill gesture”, so i deided to use one of the others alongside antihitamine tabs to at least track bg changes
No itching, but the sensor is consistently reading 3-4 mmol off showing 2’s and 3’s whereas finger pricks are showing 5-7
I think the Libre is a fantastic idea but was probably rushed out with insufficient testing & quality assurance

Exactly what happened to me after 8 months use, though I don't know whether it's the filament or the glue that I'm allergic to. (I suspect the former as it would explain the LO readings that I too was getting.) Interestingly, after I stopped for 6 months my last remaining sensor was much less itchy, but as the results from it continued to be hopelessly erratic (mostly reading much much lower than bgs but not by a consistamt amount) I gave up on the libre. Am still contemplating the technology, namely a dexcom G5, as it would make my night and morning bgs much easier to handle.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the pharmacist told me that nickel was the issue with allergy to the filament - cant remember for sure but it was definately either nickel or Zinc that he said

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s such a shame, I wonder if some peoples’ bodies just don’t like whatever they use to coat the filament to stop the body attackimg it? So far, I’ve found them really accurate, I love them.
Although not a drug intervention, I guess Libre will be the same as most drugs - will work fine for many with only minor side effects, will have more significant side effects for others making it unpleasant to use and will cause significant harm to a small monirity

Reactions: Geoffno6

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly what happened to me after 8 months use, though I don't know whether it's the filament or the glue that I'm allergic to. (I suspect the former as it would explain the LO readings that I too was getting.) Interestingly, after I stopped for 6 months my last remaining sensor was much less itchy, but as the results from it continued to be hopelessly erratic (mostly reading much much lower than bgs but not by a consistamt amount) I gave up on the libre. Am still contemplating the technology, namely a dexcom G5, as it would make my night and morning bgs much easier to handle.
Sorry to hear you had the same experiences - I wonder how many people develop the same problems over time - one of the customer services team I spoke to a while back when I had more faith in the system said “its not you, were trying to understand whats happening” and sent me a new reader alongside a replacement sensor

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time I put a Libre sensor on I cross my fingers and hope that this one will continue to be as brilliant as the last.

I get contact dermatitis from most watch straps, am nickle sensitive, soap causes rashes under rings, and I get an itchy rash from most sticking plaster, yet the Libre has been brilliant for me over around 15+ sensors.

I think it just the luck of the draw - which is absolutely no help to people who do have problems, but all I can say is that from my point of view, I hope they never change the glue, or change a thing, because by some miracle it works for me so far.

Very unfair, I know.
The ideal would be a system which works for everyone, but I have yet to encounter one of those!!!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every time I put a Libre sensor on I cross my fingers and hope that this one will continue to be as brilliant as the last.

I get contact dermatitis from most watch straps, am nickle sensitive, soap causes rashes under rings, and I get an itchy rash from most sticking plaster, yet the Libre has been brilliant for me over around 15+ sensors.

I think it just the luck of the draw - which is absolutely no help to people who do have problems, but all I can say is that from my point of view, I hope they never change the glue, or change a thing, because by some miracle it works for me so far.

Very unfair, I know.
The ideal would be a system which works for everyone, but I have yet to encounter one of those!!!
I found them generally very good for the first 8-10 sensors then got lots of problems with adhesion, inaccuracy and finally allergy - to me it looks like either 1) the % duff sensors has increased markedly 2) for those with contact sensitivities these build up over time 3) Abbot have changed something like the glue or the fillamemt with a negative impact or some combination of the 3 - either way I’m done with Libre although Ive still got 6 unused sensors and an unused reader which Ill probably employ at some time as Abbot will only refund on 2 sensors

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t think so, as I’m highly allergic to nickel, and haven’t reacted to them ... yet. I don’t think they’d be allowed to use it in an implantable, as it’s banned even in jewellery in the EU.
I've only used one sensor so far. Had no problems although I'm also nickel sensitive. Wasn't aware of the EU nickel jewellery ban. That pleases me and, as you say, they're unlikely to permit it for implantable use but not for external.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I developed an allergy after about 3 months of usage and have to use all measure of concoctions to lesson the worst of the reactions. Even so, your skin doesn't enjoy having a myriad of stuff stuck to it 24/7 and sometimes I still wind up with a rash or at times a blister at the edge of the compeed plaster I use as a barrier, and always have a reaction to the filament.

However, the ability to test with a simple scan even if it is a little off (I find it can be 2-3 and reads lower/flatlines a day or so before it is due for renewal) is invaluable!

That being said - I was looking at Dexcom G6 subscription plans..

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this thread @Boo1979 - perfect timing as I was starting to think again about whether to make the investment or not. I have super sensitive skin and get rashes even from skin on skin pressure, grass, all sorts of odd things. So, definitely won't bother wasting my money.

Reactions: sarahlovesdogs

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
I have decided to give up on the Freestyle Libre. It can be a fantastic device when it works, but for me I was getting erratic readings to a point where I was using a normal blood sensor as a back up to check the libre readings much of the time. I also had two occasions where I developed a marble sized bump under the sensor and had to take the sensor off early before the two week sensor period. The last bump took about 3 weeks to go down.

I wrote to Abbott 2 weeks ago to discuss the issues (and to ask for a refund for an unused sensor) but they haven't responded regrettably. So back to normal blood sugar meters for me but I will check out the dexcom devices mentioned above in the thread!

Brian

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So back to normal blood sugar meters for me but I will check out the dexcom devices mentioned above in the thread!

A lot of us are now using small transmitters, blucon or miaomiao, which sit on top of libre and ping results to a cgm phone app, so it's pretty much the same as dexcom.

The app lets us calibrate against blood. We take a bg reading and input it into the app so it has a much clearer idea of what the sendor reading means in relation to actusl blood.

It tightens up sketchy sensors very well. I've had lots of situations where a Reader scan will come in wildly off blood whereas the app reading will only be about 0.3 or so out.

The blucon transmitter I'm using was a one off cost of about £100 and is still going strong 18 months later.

Reactions: himtoo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decided to give up on the Freestyle Libre. It can be a fantastic device when it works, but for me I was getting erratic readings to a point where I was using a normal blood sensor as a back up to check the libre readings much of the time. I also had two occasions where I developed a marble sized bump under the sensor and had to take the sensor off early before the two week sensor period. The last bump took about 3 weeks to go down.

I wrote to Abbott 2 weeks ago to discuss the issues (and to ask for a refund for an unused sensor) but they haven't responded regrettably. So back to normal blood sugar meters for me but I will check out the dexcom devices mentioned above in the thread!

Brian

Brian - I have only once reverted to written contact with Abbott, without a directly named email address. It was like mailing into a black hole. As I was in a very different time zone at the time, a quick phone call wasn't all that simple.

In the end I did a silly o'clock Skype call to them and mentioned my email woe. The young man on the other end suggested they didn't bother responding to emails because people usually ended up calling. Eh? At that point I escalated my issue and eventually got an email address of a person I could pursue the matter with.

That made all the difference, but realistically it was a shocking use of the individual concerned's time, dealing with a single snotty customer (moi), rather than doing the very senior job he was being paid to do.

The matter was resolved very gracefully thereafter.

In your shoes, I'd call them.

To balance my experience, others have had better experiences with email.

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
I called Abbott and had a very poor experience with them. I have sent 3 emails to Abbott and received an auto reply from them each time saying they would get back to me within 72 hours- they haven't replied yet after about 20 days. The operator I spoke to by phone said he didn't have any record of my emails and that I must have used 'the wrong website'. He was no help with my questions either. I am still persueing a sensor refund but the customer service for me so far has been very poor.

TuviaDror

- poor adhesion

Hey i agree! So why not report it to the UK NHA and USA FDA and get them to fix it! Its not complicated at all. I actually discuss it in a recent post of mine from Friday per the libre! Dont give up!. We will get a better controlled life- trust me!!!
- poor adhesion

I agree. But dont give up. Report it to the authorities (NHS in UK and FDA in USA) and they will get them to fix it. Its not complicated at all- Those libre guys just have to listen and not ignore us. Dont give up. See my thread We will have a better controlled li
- poor adhesion

I agree. But don’t give up. Report it to the authorities (NHS in UK and FDA in USA) and they will get Abbott (the freestyle libre manufacturer) to fix it. Its not complicated at all- Those libre guys just have to listen and not ignore us. Don’t give up. See my thread We will have a better controlled life. Trust me. See the thread and movie on YouTube I posted in “Freestyle Libre sensor Serious inaccuracies- Help us improve this!”

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree. But don’t give up. Report it to the authorities (NHS in UK and FDA in USA) and they will get Abbott (the freestyle libre manufacturer) to fix it. Its not complicated at all- Those libre guys just have to listen and not ignore us. Don’t give up. See my thread We will have a better controlled life. Trust me. See the thread and movie on YouTube I posted in “Freestyle Libre sensor Serious inaccuracies- Help us improve this!”
I completed a yellow card report at the point where I gave up on the system