ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My roommate who constantly gives me unsolicited (and incorrect) "advice" about diabetes and I can't shut her up.

I need to be doing this and I need to be doing that and diet pop still has sugar and these are the foods I should be eating and these are all the reasons I'm not losing weight very fast.

She doesn't have diabetes and while I've only lost 14 pounds in four months she's gained 10. I can hardly get a word in and when I do and correct her she gets annoyed.
Keep correcting her. Some are slow listeners!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Argh!!! The time it's taking for my bariatric op. In Feb'19 now. :) :( :(. Oh and suggested I do 800cals til then.
Are they mad? 8wks has been a huge headache and so damaging to my low carb way of life.
So......... I'm now doing my own relaxed version to stop weight gain and occasional a quarter of a kg loss a week.
Good job I'm creative and easy going.
If I wanted to starve my weight off I wouldn't need op for horrific hunger. I'd just manage the hunger.
Who agrees to a major op when they can do the same themselves. DURR!

Reactions: briped

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How nearly every time I visit the pharmacy to collect my repeat prescriptions there's a problem. I order in good time, but ........ 'We're just preparing that one now it will take 30mins ....... we don't have that one I'll have to speak to specials ( what ever that means) ..... we have half, please come back tomorrow for rest..... no there's nothing on the system.......'
Arrrgghh.
I’m glad I’m not the only one - we’re off on a 12 day cruise tomorrow so I ordered the meds early last week to ensure we had them. Went to Pick them up on Friday and was told that they owed one of my husbands heart pills - when I asked how many the response was ‘all of them and they’ll be in Monday at 12.30 so I can pick them up then’ after a short conversation with them and a phone call on their part I picked then up yesterday!!

Reactions: Kikeena_

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My journey to work!
Always late, wether I take the bus or train and always crowded.
I have a choice of bus or train, and regardless of choice something always happens to delay my eta!
Friday for instance, decided because of term time, the train is less crowded and more or less likely to get me early enough so that my bosses won't notice.
So halfway through journey, I have to switch trains, usually a five minute wait, however, at that particular time all the signals on the station's went down and every train for a n hour was cancelled. I finally got there only an hour and three quarters late.
Typical!
Especially when you have people depending on your punctuality!

I did hear the bus that I would or should have got, was twenty minutes late as well!

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My roommate who constantly gives me unsolicited (and incorrect) "advice" about diabetes and I can't shut her up.

I need to be doing this and I need to be doing that and diet pop still has sugar and these are the foods I should be eating and these are all the reasons I'm not losing weight very fast.

She doesn't have diabetes and while I've only lost 14 pounds in four months she's gained 10. I can hardly get a word in and when I do and correct her she gets annoyed.
Have you tried telling her to shut the f*** up? That usually gets a result.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My 84yr old father insisting that the experts are correct in their advice even though my results using LCHF have put me in the non diabetic range and my LDLs have dropped Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My father getting divorced from his second wife (not my mother) at age 78 then after waiting 2 yrs to sell his house then asking me if he could move in with me. Obviously I couldn't say no. lol

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father getting divorced from his second wife (not my mother) at age 78 then after waiting 2 yrs to sell his house then asking me if he could move in with me. Obviously I couldn't say no. lol
Well...actually you could but chose not to. Different thing. Do you need to talk to someone? I took in my mother when my father died, she behaved badly and I put her in sheltered housing. She had no excuses for her behaviour other than not wanting me to have a partner.

K

Knikki

A 'spontaneous' day out, you know that last minute "Shall we go too......." turns into nothing but as you:

Check your BSL
Check you've got snacks,
Check you've got insulin,
Check you've got enough insulin,
Check you got all the contact numbers you need,
Check you various meters have power and test strips,
Check you have something to carry it all in

And because you have taken so long to sort all that **** you go "you know what can't be ***** lets just stay in and have a brew" :hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wow it has taken a long time. Is that about the right amount of time to wait?
Here's me hoping your husband will speak to you somehow. If it's possible. Thinking of you.

Meant to have been October but delayed as the SHO (that did ****** all) is on holiday and not back til December!!

I met with the Clinical Director and got all my answers and apologies and really now it’s a formality now. Just that it fall s on our anniversary date!!

Some inquests have taken 3 years!! Our area has amalgamated two offices and this has caused delays too, but hopefully some costs...

Took a photo on a lake walk the other day, was thinking that it was the first time I had gone round the lake since John died... took photo and this bright blue light dazzled momentarily whilst I took photo!!!
IMG_2261.jpg

Nothing there before and nothing the after!! Got to be a sign that he there with me....miss him so much every day.

Reactions: DJC3 and SaskiaKC

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you tell someone you're T1 and they ask "have you ever been obese?" Insulting just about the entire diabetic population of all types in a single question! I suppose my irritation should really be aimed at our ignorant meeja rather than the individuals.

Reactions: Antje77 and Diakat

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Meant to have been October but delayed as the SHO (that did ****** all) is on holiday and not back til December!!

I met with the Clinical Director and got all my answers and apologies and really now it’s a formality now. Just that it fall s on our anniversary date!!

Some inquests have taken 3 years!! Our area has amalgamated two offices and this has caused delays too, but hopefully some costs...

Took a photo on a lake walk the other day, was thinking that it was the first time I had gone round the lake since John died... took photo and this bright blue light dazzled momentarily whilst I took photo!!!
View attachment 29476

Nothing there before and nothing the after!! Got to be a sign that he there with me....miss him so much every day.
I've experienced sunbeams which warmed my body in a very stressful time. They followed me then was gone. I do believe someone I knew very well was watching over me. Too.
I'm thinking of you. You remarkable lady.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When you tell someone you're T1 and they ask "have you ever been obese?" Insulting just about the entire diabetic population of all types in a single question! I suppose my irritation should really be aimed at our ignorant meeja rather than the individuals.

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I'm obese. That's a fact, so being called obese ... How can that be an insult? I get that the question might seem relevant to the uninitiated masses and therefore annoying to encounter again and again, but why do you think it an insult to the entire diabetic population?

Reactions: Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I'm obese. That's a fact, so being called obese ... How can that be an insult? I get that the question might seem relevant to the uninitiated masses and therefore annoying to encounter again and again, but why do you think it an insult to the entire diabetic population?
It’s not just a statement of fact in these cases though is it. Because it implies being fat caused the diabetes. Which implies it’s all your own fault, lack of sympathy/empathy, draining the nhs etc etc. The press has ingrained this blame far beyond what I believe the facts justify.

Personally I think my life choices had some effect but I believe genetics/luck, call it what you will, also did. I took better care of myself than many do but it still happened.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When your insulin pump pod fails in the middle of Costco, and you have to make use of the edge of a handy pallet of frying pans to fill and initiate a new one...

6DEA3A79-AD1C-4BAA-9B2C-01060D35153A.jpeg

Reactions: SaskiaKC and kev-w

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When your insulin pump pod fails in the middle of Costco, and you have to make use of the edge of a handy pallet of frying pans to fill and initiate a new one...

View attachment 29480
It's late (later than where you are too) and there was alcohol involved. But it took me about 5 minutes to work out you don't need a frying pan to do something important to your insulin pump :p
It was only the flat surface you needed, right? Not cooking up your insulin?

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It isn't the assumption that I used to be obese, it's the assumption that all forms of diabetes are caused by obesity. As far as I know, T2 is the only flavour associated with obesity so the above automatically applies to everyone other than T2's. I am far from an expert about T2, but I am aware that there are a lot of T2's who aren't obese. And vice versa. Equally I'm sure there are some who are 'self inflicted' by being over weight; if that's you waving your arm to say 'that's me!' - I take my hat off to you for your honesty and self responsibility. But there are plenty on this forum who don't identify with that scenario and I'm in no position to disagree with them.