SD Code Free/Care Sens Dual Comparison?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Following discussion on another thread about meter accuracy, I’ve realised I’ve been having more odd readings lately with my SD Code Free which have required retests, so I’m getting through strips quicker than normal. I have another meter which I just got when they were free as a spare. The strips are more expensive but if it’s more reliable it may work out more cost effective in the long run. It’s a Care Sens Dual from Spirit Health. Has anyone used both of these meters? If so how do they compare?

I have both of these meters and they usually give similar readings. I took these together on same drop of blood
IMG_2096.jpg

Reactions: Rachox

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have to take your word on that since the times displayed on them do not agree.

The code free has been in the cupboard for months and I got it out to do the test . I never bother changing the time etc it’s the number on the large display I’m more interested in .

Reactions: Speedbird

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have to take your word on that since the times displayed on them do not agree.
The code free has been in the cupboard for months and I got it out to do the test . I never bother changing the time etc it’s the number on the large display I’m more interested in .
If it’s anything like my Code Free it doesn’t remember the correct date and time!

Reactions: connie104

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Post meal both meters 6.7. used same blood drop for both readings.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it’s anything like my Code Free it doesn’t remember the correct date and time!
There is I think a market for a properly titrated solution of 'known value' that we can use for calibration. The test solutions are so variable that they are useless unless the meter is totally bonkers and lost the plot entirely. I would have thought it could be good for OGTT home testing too if cheap enough.

My Codefree remembers the date but loses time. It has definitely jumped by 1 mmol/l on latest batch at low readings, and by up to 2.5 difference on higher readings

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is I think a market for a properly titrated solution of 'known value' that we can use for calibration. The test solutions are so variable that they are useless unless the meter is totally bonkers and lost the plot entirely. I would have thought it could be good for OGTT home testing too if cheap enough.

My Codefree remembers the date but loses time. It has definitely jumped by 1 mmol/l on latest batch at low readings, and by up to 2.5 difference on higher readings

Which batch are you on Oldvatr?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Which batch are you on Oldvatr?
Posted it in a previous post here. It is a new batch just delivered to me. Not sure what previous batch was since I chuck the boxes strait into recycling.
try Entry #33

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Now have a few days - about half a tubs worth - of comparison between the Codefree and Caresens Dual. Caresens is reading higher - sometimes substantially so - than the Codefree and thus far is no less inconsistent. Have a tub and a half of Caresens strips left so will keep testing and then prepare a proper graph. Initial finding is that there’s no compelling reason to switch meter.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having gone through the frustration of a high reading meter, I feel for you guys.
All the best with your individual tests.:watching:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies for cross posting. Just put this update on the other thread on this topic:

My 48 strip test (used the other 2 testing the same drop of blood on the Caresens) reveals the Caresens average to be 0.1mmol higher than the Codefree and both running higher (0.2 - 0.3 mmol) higher than my monthly average which has been consistent (within 0.1mmol) for over a year. The parallel testing didn’t show enough differences to have any more confidence in the Caresens than the Codefree. Although the obviously rogue readings are more dramatic on the Codefree). Time to get the second batch of 50 Caresens strips out, me thinks. And will open a new tub of Codefree at the same time.