Are we going to die post-Brexit?

DaveXF

Sorry, just not true. The crash in the pound that followed the Brexit vote was the largest single-day drop that any of the four global currencies in which bulk of global hard cash reserves are held has seen since the collapse of Bretton Woods in the early 70s. To put it into perspective, it was twice as bad as Black Wednesday.

And of course there's the stuff that the "Open Insulin Project" has done...
Single day drop...yes.
However, it could be argued that sterling was very much over valued .

Reactions: Geoffno6

DaveXF

Please do let your MP know how you feel, whoever they are. If they are Brexiters, tell them how worried you are and the damage they are doing. If they are active remain supporters, thank them and encourage them. You can find out who your MP is here, https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/ There's not much time left, do it now!
Sally

How did we survive before the EU was imposed on us?
I sit on BS/EN tech committees, I've got meetings agree and planned for well into 2019.
The world will continue.
Does anyone on this site truly believe that their supply of insulin, metformin, bananas and French wine will be effected post Brexit?
Give over.

Reactions: Gaz-M and Dodo

Geoffno6

How did we survive before the EU was imposed on us?
I sit on BS/EN tech committees, I've got meetings agree and planned for well into 2019.
The world will continue.
Does anyone on this site truly believe that their supply of insulin, metformin, bananas and French wine will be effected post Brexit?
Give over.

Couldn’t agree more, the big producers of insulin and other meds will all protect their businesses and their lovely exports to the UK

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But nowhere near as bad as the collapse of the pound at the end of (I think it was) 2007. If my memory serves me right, the pound slowly went from 1.5 to the Euro almost to parity not in a day but over several months. A big one day fall is rarely a big fall per se.
The big difference being, of course, that from the peak of 2007 to the trough of 2009, there was a systemic financial global crisis going on.

The one day drop incurred a hit that has also gotten bigger, and from whence we have yet to see a recovery. Most of the FX market expects further drops post a no-deal brexit. And of course this is a purely UK driven effect.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are quite right. I am T2 and don't take any meds at all, for anything. However, I do understand that many of you are worried, and I sympathise with you. I apologise if my posts have upset anyone.
Type 1 here and not at all upset. I agree with all you say.

Reactions: Gaz-M

SeanJ_99

Don't know if it's scaremongering but i honestly feel like i won''t make it next year. There's no plans and we're 4 months from March. I feel like i'm living in The Walking Dead world, i wish you all good luck.

DaveXF

Don't know if it's scaremongering but i honestly feel like i won''t make it next year. There's no plans and we're 4 months from March. I feel like i'm living in The Walking Dead world, i wish you all good luck.

Fancy a bet that if you aren't here that it won't have anything to do with brexit?
Naturally, I hope you are here...and you will be.

Reactions: Dodo

DaveXF

The big difference being, of course, that from the peak of 2007 to the trough of 2009, there was a systemic financial global crisis going on.

The one day drop incurred a hit that has also gotten bigger, and from whence we have yet to see a recovery. Most of the FX market expects further drops post a no-deal brexit. And of course this is a purely UK driven effect.
We have nothing to worry about on the FX score.
If sterling and the Euro hit parity again, it's not the end of this or any other world.
I'd be paying more attention to Italy...now THAT is a big deal.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We have nothing to worry about on the FX score.
Depends on whether you consider a double whammy of increased prices as a result of FX parity and increased duty as a result of no-deal brexit "nothing to worry about"....!

DaveXF

Depends on whether you consider a double whammy of increased prices as a result of FX parity and increased duty as a result of no-deal brexit "nothing to worry about"....!

Duties could equally reduce.
The facts are that no one knows the facts

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are too young to remember the Millenium Bug that was supposed to happen as the year 2000 dawned and computers didn't know if it was 2000 or 1900 as they only worked on the last two digits. For months before analysts speculated that entire computer networks would crash, causing widespread dysfunction for a global population that had become irreversibly dependent on computers to hold, disseminate and analyze its most vital pieces of information. What actually happened was that nobody noticed. The media love an impending disaster to speculate about, just try not to get caught up in it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You are too young to remember the Millenium Bug that was supposed to happen as the year 2000 dawned and computers didn't know if it was 2000 or 1900 as they only worked on the last two digits. For months before analysts speculated that entire computer networks would crash, causing widespread dysfunction for a global population that had become irreversibly dependent on computers to hold, disseminate and analyze its most vital pieces of information. What actually happened was that nobody noticed. The media love an impending disaster to speculate about, just try not to get caught up in it.
A vast amount of work went on behind the scenes to make sure that nobody noticed, to be fair. That doesn’t seem to be the case this time, the Minister in charge of all this didn’t even seem to be aware that the Dover-Calais link was important...

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Actually, the reason it didn't happen was because me, and people like me spent well over a year preparing for it, rewriting code and making sure that it didn't happen. I don't see any preparations on that scale being made for Brexit.

Reactions: dbr10

lindisfel

Expert
Are we going to die post Brexit?
I don't even think Brexit will make any difference to our mortality! :)

But of course our diet will suffer when all the car firms shed staff and they have to use food banks.

It ironic that the pound going down is cheered by Brexiteers because their over seas investments increase and they are better off. I don't know how the poor will take it when they find they have been duped by the wealthy and lied to.
D.

D

Deleted member 308541

It ironic that the pound going down is cheered by Brexiteers because their over seas investments increase and they are better off.
I hope it does not drop, the Australian dollar has dropped a bit so my UK pension has picked up with the current rate of exchange.

It took a major dump when the results for Brexit were announced, knocking around $60.00 a month off of it at the time.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually, the reason it didn't happen was because me, and people like me spent well over a year preparing for it, rewriting code and making sure that it didn't happen. I don't see any preparations on that scale being made for Brexit.
I was also in a computer based industry at the time so I know about preperations, but my point for the OPs benefit was that the media played up the doom and gloom. Stories of people beavering away making preparations do not sell newspapers. Unless you are in the relevant departments in the civil service how would you know if preparations are being made or not?

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was also in a computer based industry at the time so I know about preperations, but my point for the OPs benefit was that the media played up the doom and gloom. Stories of people beavering away making preparations do not sell newspapers. Unless you are in the relevant departments in the civil service how would you know if preparations are being made or not?

So if you knew the sheer amount of work that went into averting this, why would you imply it was something made up by the media. Um the civil service say they have not, cannot be making adequate preparations.

Reactions: dbr10

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Todays Libre news would indicate no cause for concern, although April's after March so if we run out of insulin the Libres availability could be a moot point, but I see no cause for concern whatsoever.