Best breakfast ideas for T1

Darion89

Since being diagnosed in May my dietician advised to eat bran flakes for breakfast, and I have done ever since. The problem now is I'm getting bored of it and wondered what other people eat that works well with being T1? I would like to switch to Weetabix if possible but am open to alternatives.

Thanks Darion

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Darion89 Personally I struggle in eating carbs at breakfast as my levels sky rocket at this time of day and it can take me till 11am to get back into range again, I prefer eggs, boiled, fried, scrambled or greek yoghurt with blueberries :)

Reactions: Darion89
D

Deleted Account

I have never been advised what to have for breakfast; I eat whatever I want.
As long as I calculate my insulin dose correctly, I have no problem with a fry up or fruit or yoghurt or muesli or cereal or even a slice of chocolate cake (but I don't make a habit of that).

If you change your breakfast, you may need to change your insulin dose.
If you carb count, this should not be a problem.
If you are on a fixed dose, you may need to talk to your diabetes team.

K

Knikki

I eats lots of cereal, cornflakes, muesli, shreddies, things with dried fruit, granola, Weetabix all sorts of things and if the mood takes or I have time, toast, bacon, eggs sausage and have done for years.

HOWEVER

If you eat some of the cereal I mention above and you calculate the insulin/carb ratio and inject you may well find that you suddenly drop and could possible hit a hypo before you go out, NOT recommended.

Thing is with various cereals is they are high carb and SLOW to digest. For example I had 102.9 grams of carb this morning so I injected 8.5 which will cover the morning bit, now I know from trial and error that round about 3.5-4 hours later I will start to spike so will inject again to counter it.

I have Libre which makes it easier to see the spike develop but when I don't I am blood testing at around the 3.5 hours after eating. But that just me.

It really is a case of trail and error I'm afraid :)

Reactions: kev-w and Darion89

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Weetabix every morning, have done all my life. No issues.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge and eggs or eggs and bagel or Porridge with protein powder mixed in

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
On Weekends. I slice of toast (multigrain) half an Avocado with lemon juice, salt and pepper with 2 poached eggs on top. During summer followed up with a nice ripe mango.
During the week what's breakfast?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Raspberries/brambles with Greek yoghurt. 10 carbs worth. Used to eat Shredded Wheat/porridge. But couldn’t control my morning highs. Resisted the fruit option at first, but now look forward to it. Have the porridge at night sometimes, which I can manage ok.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
30 grams of bran flakes with 30 grams california walnuts and 125ml milk

You can't fall off!, my sugars never go high with that breakfast, as long as I calculate my carbs as your supposed to do :)

Reactions: porl69 and Darion89

Nickknack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 Whole meal toast and jam and a low carb protein bar mid morning normally does me.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of the breakfast cereals to be honest are not that great for our bodies. Personally I find they give quite steep spikes.

Eggs however you like them are great, greek yoghurt with some berries, ( the frozen ones are fine just defrost overnight) is delicious and simple

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat porridge for breakfast, with eggs & wholemeal bread and can usually manage around 55g -65g complex carbs with around 5.5 -6.5u Humalog and stay under 8mmol.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Breakfast has always been a problem for me as I've usually had to deal with the spikes from the Dawn Phenomenon. Most cereals, including most porridge have a high GI, so you will get spikes from that too. As mentioned, if you don't match your insulin spike to your carb spike, you'll could end up hypo.

I low carb nowadays, so tend to have eggs, low carb porridge or granola, yogurt

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast has always been a problem for me as I've usually had to deal with the spikes from the Dawn Phenomenon. Most cereals, including most porridge have a high GI, so you will get spikes from that too. As mentioned, if you don't match your insulin spike to your carb spike, you'll could end up hypo.

I low carb nowadays, so tend to have eggs, low carb porridge or granola, yogurt

I think I mostly get away with the porridge as I've time on a morning to inject and wait till the insulin's working which takes around 40 minutes, and once I've eaten the porridge I'll wait a while before eating the second course, seems the insulin can handle the spike better that way, which works for me whilst working for myself, if I had a boss and a set time schedule I'd have to rework breakfast.
A 'lower' carb porridge ±40g carbs is oat bran which is around 10g/100 less than rolled oats, for me the clincher is the 'beta glucan' content of the oats keeping cholesterol in check.

Reactions: porl69 and SamJB

Joe40

Since being diagnosed in May my dietician advised to eat bran flakes for breakfast, and I have done ever since. The problem now is I'm getting bored of it and wondered what other people eat that works well with being T1? I would like to switch to Weetabix if possible but am open to alternatives.

Thanks Darion
Poached egg on toast

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I mostly get away with the porridge as I've time on a morning to inject and wait till the insulin's working which takes around 40 minutes, and once I've eaten the porridge I'll wait a while before eating the second course, seems the insulin can handle the spike better that way, which works for me whilst working for myself, if I had a boss and a set time schedule I'd have to rework breakfast.
A 'lower' carb porridge ±40g carbs is oat bran which is around 10g/100 less than rolled oats, for me the clincher is the 'beta glucan' content of the oats keeping cholesterol in check.

Impressive. Yes, I guess that's the practical side of matching insulin & carb peaks. I did wonder about the the lower GI porridge. I remember dietitians banging on about porridge being low GI, but most of the stuff (especially quick cook) I found to be really high GI.

Reactions: kev-w

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Eggs, avocados - or more usually nothing at all until lunchtime. Which has just reminded me, I really should have some breakfast, it’s nearly 2pm ;)

Reactions: kev-w

DorsetJon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My usual is fresh fruit (e.g. blueberries + strawberries or raspberries) with muesli. However, after I realised that even "no added sugar" muesli can have quite a lot of sugar from the dried fruit it contains, I make my own: whole rolled oats, sunflower seeds, crushed pecans and brazil nuts, with occasionally a few dried cranberries. Like kev-w, I inject then wait, with Actrapid (6 U) injected about 30 mins before eating breakfast. This way, with about 45 g carbs eaten I usually do not get a spike after breakfast.

Reactions: kev-w and SamJB