kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi all

I received my first freestyle libre today at my consultant appointment and I'm looking for some advice please.

Does anyone cover their sensor with a type of dressing for extra security? I'm worried about walking into the door frame or something and knocking the sensor off.

I was also wondering if anyone has used any of the stickers/skins available to decorate the sensors and the reader?

There are so many showing up online that I'm unsure which websites etc to use.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Will tag @Mel dCP for you. I know she has used stickers for her Libre
p.s. congratulations on getting the Libre....

Reactions: kimrooney89

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've torn two off when I had bluetooth devices stuck to them - blucon and miaomiao, both caught on a t-shirt while removing it. I've stopped doing that (sticking devices to the libre, not not removing the t-shirts, they'd get quite smelly :) ). But I've never had a problem otherwise over the past couple of years. Sleeveless tops don't go well with my beard, so that possibly helps (ie it's always covered by fabric of some kind), and it's possible I don't walk into door frames that often :)

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I've torn two off when I had bluetooth devices stuck to them - blucon and miaomiao, both caught on a t-shirt while removing it. I've stopped doing that (sticking devices to the libre, not not removing the t-shirts, they'd get quite smelly :) ). But I've never had a problem otherwise over the past couple of years. Sleeveless tops don't go well with my beard, so that possibly helps (ie it's always covered by fabric of some kind), and it's possible I don't walk into door frames that often :)
Haha! Thanks @evilclive
I wasn't expecting to get a Libre any time soon so today was a total surprise and I figured you guys would have some sound advice for me!

Timostags

I'm on my third sensor haven't felt the need to secure it yet. It's quite a job getting them off after 2 weeks and that includes the odd trip to a swimming pool.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tag :)

I get my decorations for my Libre from Pimp my Diabetes and Pep me Up

https://pimpmydiabetes.com/
http://shop.pepmeup.org/

I don’t wear a dressing over it, but I do use Skin Tac wipes before applying - you can get a sample pack here - but I wear mine on my chest rather than my arm. When I did put it on my arm, I put kinesiology tape over the top, but put a bit of tape reversed in the centre section, so that the adhesive didn’t actually stick to the sensor itself. That way, I could change the tape when it got scruffy with less risk of pulling the sensor off. Many people use Tegaderm, but I got a bit of irritation from that. And it made a crinkling sound, which annoyed me :D

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
Libre's don't stick to my skin that well even when using skin tac wipes etc. The only thing that keeps mine in place is the kinesiology tape which you can get quite cheap on ebay.

Alan405

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I received my first freestyle libre today at my consultant appointment and I'm looking for some advice please.

Does anyone cover their sensor with a type of dressing for extra security? I'm worried about walking into the door frame or something and knocking the sensor off.

I was also wondering if anyone has used any of the stickers/skins available to decorate the sensors and the reader?

There are so many showing up online that I'm unsure which websites etc to use.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated

Been wearing one for 2 years now. Never covered it. Became loose once and had to remove. Never walked into a door on that arm though! I even wore it uncovered under a waterfall in St Lucia. (have pics to prove it!)

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I was told don't cover the centre area of the libre

noyahO21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I’ve bought beige coloured oval and circular stickers from Pimp my Diabetes and also from RockaDex. I think they’re quite expensive but we’re good during the warm weather when I wore sleeveless tops. Otherwise, Zinc Oxide tape from Boots is great and inexpensive. Ask at pharmacy counter. Hope this helps.

noyahO21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also use a Lycra armband bought from RockaDex when swimming. Forgot to mention: when I do cover the sensor, I cover the whole thing. I read that you’re not meant to cover the centre but have found it makes no difference. A lot of the time I never cover mine. Have knocked it off once though.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great! Where do you buy your stickers from?
Pimp my diabetes is quite good. I wear all range of cuffs , bandage just to keep it secure. People think ive hadca tatto removed or im tagged !!!!! I couldnt care less !

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get my stickers from ' funky Pampers ' i love the 'power button' one best, opens all sorts of jokes about turning me on!!!
If its looking lose then I cover with rock tape or the other free option I have used is to cut up an odd sock from the collection I have thanks to the washing machine eating their partners, cut the foot off the sock and it leaves you with a perfect arm band!
I have told children ( and some adults ) in the past that it is a police tracker!!

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you attach them to the back of your arm, say abut 4 inches upp from your elbow, you are less likely to knock them off. Also try using Skin Tac before applying them.

D

Deleted Account

I read that you’re not meant to cover the centre but have found it makes no difference.
I understood the issue is not the covering but what you put on your arm under the Libre before inserting it.
For example, if you put SkinTac on the area where the sensor goes into your body, you may be putting the SkinTac stuff, which is designed to be used externally, into your body. Your body may then react to this extra alien compound and effect your BG readings from the Libre.
This is one reason why Libre come with alcohol wipes - the remove any residue on your arm which may be dragged in when applying the sensor.