Offered Pump

Dicko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Although i am new (ish) to the forum I have been a T1 for 32 years, currently on MDI and have been accepted for a pump, my HBA1C at last clinic (3 weeks ago) was 40.

I have been offered either the Medtronic 640g or the Accu-Chek Insight, just wondering what peoples experiences are of both?

For info I self fund the Freestyle Libre, so would also look to possibly self fund a CGM.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Reactions: Juicyj

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HbA1c of 40? Do you get lots of hypos?

I've been using Medtronic pumps for over 8 years and have been using the 640G for over 3 years. I was also prescribed the Enlite sensors almost 3 years ago.

The pump is the best thing since sliced bread, and the cgm makes it even better! It takes a lot of work and is not a quick fix but it is worth it.

Self funding the cgm is expensive. The sensors are supposed to last only 6 days but I often recharge the transmitter and restart the sensor as a "new sensor", to get a further 6 days out of it. I say "often" because I can't do it all the time due to having very sensitive skin.

With the cgm, the pump alerts me when I'm heading low, and cuts off the insulin if my BG continues to fall.

I'm sorry I know nothing about the Insight, so can't comment on that .

Reactions: Dicko and porl69

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @AndrewDickson2018 That's great news. I didn't have a choice when I got access so have only used the 640g for which I have no faults at all, there are other posts on this subject so it's worth seeing what other members have said, also a good way to research is to view youtube as there are many happy pump users sharing their experiences there too.

Reactions: Dicko

Dicko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dancer. Not really, I had a few issues about 2 years ago where my control was terrible, I suppose it had been for some 10 years and I had a wake up call, went on to MDI and gained some good control back, I do suffer from mild hypo unawareness hence being accepted for a pump.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Unfortunately you won't get anyone that has used both. I have a 640g and love it. I would hold off, as the new model 670g is about to make it's appearance. Although the only real advantage over the 640 is if you use the Enlite CGM, at least you have options. The new pump is out and has been released in the US about a year ago, has passed approval in Australia, but the sensors are still being approved in Australia, so it's being held back. The process in the UK is well under way for the approval. I was offered a pump years ago and I didn't take it, I wish I had the pump is not a problem and has so many advantages.

Dicko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So i've gone Medtronic, the date to get my pump is 26th March 2019, my CCG (midyorks) cannot say whether it will be a 640g or 670g so I suppose i'll just have to wait and see.

The DSN did say though that they are hoping Freestyle Libre will be on prescription by the new financial year so thats a positive for MidYorks Trust.

Reactions: porl69