Should I be self monitoring?

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just saw the nurse at my surgery the other day for my six month checkup. My HbA1C has come down from 51 when I was first diagnosed T2 last December to 38 this past October. I explained that I’ve achieved this solely by means of daily exercise, a strict LCHF diet and self monitoring (4-6 times daily).

The nurse was quite surprised that I was self testing and mentioned this to my GP who just happened to be passing by at the time. Well, he pretty much went ballistic and told me that I must stop doing this immediately and that it was a total waste of my money. When he left, the nurse explained that testing was generally for those on medication and not for individuals like myself.

So just wondering... is my testing unnecessary? I personally find it quite useful to check my BG first thing in the morning, before and after meals and, occasionally after an evening workout. But I’m quite willing to stop if the general consensus is that this is not needed in my case, that it’s really for those of us on meds.

Thanks

John

Reactions: jjraak and Geoffno6

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you find it useful please ignore the idiots at your surgery.
They don't have your Type 2 you do.
You are the one who has lowered your HbA1c to non diabetic levels not them.
The money is yours to spend as you see fit.
In my humble opinion your doctor needs to be struck off, firstly for even considering "going ballistic" at a patient. Secondly for going ballistic at a patient who is reversing their Type 2 diabetes and thirdly for being so closed minded that they can't see the benefits you are deriving from self testing.

D

Deleted member 308541

So just wondering... is my testing unnecessary? I personally find it quite useful to check my BG first thing in the morning, before and after meals and, occasionally after an evening workout. But I’m quite willing to stop if the general consensus is that this is not needed in my case, that it’s really for those of us on meds.
Your health care mob are wrong, keep testing the way you have been doing and then you have control of whats going on.

Reactions: johnrubinstein

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you guys. Your feedback is reassuring. It’s good to know I’m not some oddball hypochondriac.
You are a well informed expert patient.. something that a lot of GP's are quite scared of... partly because we may know more about our specific condition than they do.. I would imagine that is why your GP reacted as they did.

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BTW, to be fair to my GP (who I’ve been with for around 15 years), he’s generally been very helpful and seen me through some tough situations. Therefore all the more astonished at his reaction this time around. Must be some kind of blind spot.

Reactions: jjraak

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@johnrubinstein Well done on your BG levels, clearly due to your hard work. Many members here feel that testing regularly helps them to understand how their body reacts to certain foods and this in turn can help achieve desirable results. I tested 5-6 times a day for over a year and it helped me to understand how my meals affect me through the day. I can guess with some accuracy what my levels are/should be at any point in the day. I remember being asked at first to test before each meal and not after as the results would only scare me. I can say I have been shocked at some high readings but testing helped me to understand why they were high. Testing works, If your GP prescribes the test strips great! If you can afford to fund your own go for it. As for the attitude of your HCPs ''that's outrageous''.

Geoffno6

Just saw the nurse at my surgery the other day for my six month checkup. My HbA1C has come down from 51 when I was first diagnosed T2 last December to 38 this past October. I explained that I’ve achieved this solely by means of daily exercise, a strict LCHF diet and self monitoring (4-6 times daily).

The nurse was quite surprised that I was self testing and mentioned this to my GP who just happened to be passing by at the time. Well, he pretty much went ballistic and told me that I must stop doing this immediately and that it was a total waste of my money. When he left, the nurse explained that testing was generally for those on medication and not for individuals like myself.

Thanks

John

I’d just keep up the good work and keep on texting if it helps you

Reactions: johnrubinstein

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Well done on your recent hba1c, your GP had no right behaving like that.
My GP practice didn't want to provide me testing strips.
I got very tearful and they changed their mind.
I am lucky, it isn't a waste of money.
It is up to you how much you test.
I'd report the GP to pals or change practise.
Very unprofessional of the GP.
Take care

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I've seen a fair number of doctors going ballistic, shouting and yelling insults and even making threats - they do seem prone to it, but I really don't know what would be the best thing to do for them.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
whoa..what a great example that there can be light at the end of the tunnel..even if it's not for everyone.

I agree ..it's your call, Whatever gets you through...refusing to learn anything about it except to do what the doctors say,
or taking back some control..to the myriad of choices in between.

it's YOU it effects, so YOU are the best person to make that call.

Well done on such a good outcome...:cat:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your fingers, your money, your incentive. I’m 18 months down the line and still test regularly. My GP although not rude about it said I didn’t need to, yet on a subsequent visit looked very interestedly at the graph on one of my blood sugar apps!

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whoa! Woke up this morning to all these kind words. Thank you so much. I’m about to set out on my daily power walk and you can be sure that I shall be marching along to the sound of Magic Radio with your comments ringing in my ears and with that extra spring in my step. .

Over the past 10 or so months, as I have set about changing my life to better combat my diabetes, this forum has proved such a source of knowledge, inspiration and support. Truly, I cannot thank you all enough.

John

Reactions: Geoffno6