Test strips prescription

Brie912

Hi, I was diagnosed with Type 2 in June and was able to persuade my diabetes nurse that testing would help me adjust my diet and bring down my HbA1c (which is has, gone down from 96 to 46 in 3 months!). I was prescribed test strips and lancets but I've been told that I'll only get them on prescription for a couple more months (bringing me up to first 6 months after diagnosis). Is this what most people experience, only getting them for the first 6 months? I've found testing very useful for understanding symptoms and adjusting my diet and have found that I've had a couple of hypos I've needed to treat. I really don't want to stop testing and test strips are so expensive. I may be able to make a case that I've recently been prescribed Amitriptyline which is a painkiller/muscle relaxant/antidepressant that can alter your blood sugar if you're diabetic and as I currently take it on an as needed basis, it's important that I'm able to test. (it may not have been the best choice of painkiller for a diabetic but I'm limited in what I can take and so far it's been the only the thing I've ever tried that worked to get rid of my pain)

What are your thoughts? I'm sure there have been plenty more threads like this so apologies if I'm repeating the same stuff as before. Thanks.

Reactions: Daisy_Daisy

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My prescription has just been stopped. It is actually not common for T2'S to get a prescription if you're not on drugs that can cause hypos.

I was partially self funding and will continue to so. I am getting to the stage where I don't feel the need to test so much.

@Rachox can point you in the direction of the cheapest strips. The CodeFree work out at less than 7.00 per 50 if you buy 5 packs at a time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Reactions: porl69

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Its very common for type 2,s not to be prescribed test strips by gp unless you are on Insulin or glia side.
You are lucky to have been getting the test strips and the codefree ones are the cheapest to buy online.
I do feel all diabetics should get free test strips but the nhs just can't afford to do this.

Daisy_Daisy

Hi, I was diagnosed with Type 2 in June and was able to persuade my diabetes nurse that testing would help me adjust my diet and bring down my HbA1c (which is has, gone down from 96 to 46 in 3 months!). I was prescribed test strips and lancets but I've been told that I'll only get them on prescription for a couple more months (bringing me up to first 6 months after diagnosis). Is this what most people experience, only getting them for the first 6 months? I've found testing very useful for understanding symptoms and adjusting my diet and have found that I've had a couple of hypos I've needed to treat. I really don't want to stop testing and test strips are so expensive. I may be able to make a case that I've recently been prescribed Amitriptyline which is a painkiller/muscle relaxant/antidepressant that can alter your blood sugar if you're diabetic and as I currently take it on an as needed basis, it's important that I'm able to test. (it may not have been the best choice of painkiller for a diabetic but I'm limited in what I can take and so far it's been the only the thing I've ever tried that worked to get rid of my pain)

What are your thoughts? I'm sure there have been plenty more threads like this so apologies if I'm repeating the same stuff as before. Thanks.

Hi!

You should be able to get these test strips easily you are entitled to them... as a tool to help you monitor your Blood sugar its important.
Drugs can effect your BG as there are often elements of sweetener in tablets.Amitriptyline, is not a painkiller.. its an antidepressant that relaxes you..it can be used along with analgesics to relax you in the case of back pain for instance.
Look up the NICE guidelines about the support Type 2 Diabetics should be offered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I can recommend code free it is a very good meter and yes the test strips are cheaper, I do get free strips on prescription as am on Insulin but still have the code free as keep it in the car or in my bag so i never have to go out and forget my testing kit

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im not saying its not used for pain, I use it PRN myself I have a back injury.. use it to relax me at night..am a RGN.(retired)
As you’d said in one of your posts further up #5 “Amitriptyline, is not a painkiller” I just wanted to clarify for anyone that didn’t know, that used regularly at a low dose Amitriptyline is an effective painkiller. (From a fellow retired RGN)

Last edited:

Davie boy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I am type 2 on insulin and have been testing for several years now (since going on insulin), no one has said anything to me other than a little while ago they started to restrict the number of strips I could have to 100 per month

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 on insulin and have been testing for several years now (since going on insulin), no one has said anything to me other than a little while ago they started to restrict the number of strips I could have to 100 per month
Strips are essential for an insulin user.. similar to T1's so they shouldn't be not giving you yours.. but for those of us not on blood sugar lowering meds we usually don't get anything.

Reactions: Davie boy