Pregnancy WITHOUT green light

Aknitty

Hello,
Been trying to get Hba1c within target since January. It will never, ever be that tight. It wasn't with my first baby. If I am ever that low with my readings, I just have endless hypos, maybe 7 or 8 a day.
Am thinking now, my last Hba1c was 55, nearly four months ago. My control has been much more stable since then and likely to have improved. I don't think I am going to get any better. I am 36 and do not want to wait any longer. I do not want to go on a pump as this will delay things. I have the libre.
Did anyone try without waiting for the magical green light from consultant? Or "accidentally" fall pregnant whilst in pre conception clinic? Thanks so much for reading xxx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Aknitty

I think this decision is an extremely personal one, speaking broadly is there ever a right time, diabetic or not to conceive ?

The reason our teams want us to maintain a low HbA1c is simply to limit the opportunity for serious health concerns and risks hence why 48mmol/l is the target to aim for. So getting as close as possible and looking at all methods to keep near to this would mean less stress and anxiety with managing a healthy successful pregnancy. My circumstances were that I was diagnosed with gestational at 23 weeks and was thrown in at the deep end with insulin until my daughter was induced at 38 weeks, however knowing what I know now about diabetes and pregnancy has meant that we decided not to try again, personally I didn't want to put my baby's health at risk, however if I had been given a pump early on then this would of changed my view as I now use one and it's mean't i've improved by HbA1c and so I would strongly urge you to push for a pump as it will mean tighter control, you would also have the support from your team in managing the pump.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This opinion may be frowned upon but I say go for it and make your best effort from now until you have a baby in your arms....

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I never saw anyone before either or my pregnancies! When I got pregnant with my second child by hba1c was 8.4 but after finding out I quickly got it back under control!

I think things must be very different around the country as I didn’t even know about these preconception clinics before joining this forum!

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hba1c has never been great! At the beginning of this year I found out they was 69, at the beginning of September I found out I was pregnant, I’m now 13 weeks and my hba1c is still not brilliant but I’m slowly getting there. I don’t think there is “time” it should happen. If it happens it happens, don’t stress you’ll have all the help you need

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Iv had 2 miscarriages early on my hba1 was literally awful for those ! I’m sure it was that ...
After this I took my care into my own hands and didn’t see anybody before etc or tell them I got my hba1 down to 39 with my youngest and this pregnancy also not planned 40
Controversial or not being low is no fun for me but for baby there’s absolutely no risks where as high that’s the risks
It’s worked out for 2 of my children so far and I’m now 33+6 with third baby and on my detailed heart scan they commented how good his spine looked which indicates good control ( Iv not deliberately now baby’s development is mostly over now just growth made my sugars a bit higher in the range )
Keeping my fingers crossed for the end of my pregnancy now Iv been diabetic 19 years now and I’m 26
Good luck go for it xxx

Reactions: CranberryIce

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Did anyone try without waiting for the magical green light from consultant? Or "accidentally" fall pregnant whilst in pre conception clinic? Thanks so much for reading xxx
My kids are 23 and 26 and I don't remember being given fixed hba1c targets to aim at before conception, though I did ask for approval. First time, I was given the OK to try. Second time, I went to ask for the OK, having already decided my blood sugars were good enough, and had to go back a week after the approval to say "oops, I'm already pregnant".
If I am ever that low with my readings, I just have endless hypos, maybe 7 or 8 a day.
This was a massive issue for me while pregnant. (During my second pregnancy I had friends round to mind me while alone in charge of a 3 year old.) I would suggest a freestyle libre combined with one of the devices (miao miao???) to give you alerts when you go too low. I think that Abbott may have also released a version with an alarm?
Good luck.

Reactions: ringi