Self testing readings. Recently diagnosed.

Alfie44

Ive was diagnosed with T2 about 4 months ago with a score of 96, it was a huge shock to me and is just another illness to add to my never ending list. I was told to read a leaflet and take the metformin twice a day, change your diet and that was basically that. I was re tested last two months ago and its dropped to 36 which is heading the right way I assume. Now ive found this site I want to start self monitering my levels and have bought the meter and strips but am confused if those who moniter their levels are on medication or not.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive was diagnosed with T2 about 4 months ago with a score of 96, it was a huge shock to me and is just another illness to add to my never ending list. I was told to read a leaflet and take the metformin twice a day, change your diet and that was basically that. I was re tested last two months ago and its dropped to 36 which is heading the right way I assume. Now ive found this site I want to start self monitering my levels and have bought the meter and strips but am confused if those who moniter their levels are on medication or not.

Hi Alfie, you have done a fantastic job to get down to 36 so quickly, please tell us how you did it, we all like these stories. Most people on this site monitor their levels, some are on medication, some are on diet control only, some are on insulin, so don't be confused, what we ALL have in common is a desire to know what our bodies are doing in relation to our glucose levels. It's not so much how we get there but the fact that we get there and in a healthy way. Welcome. x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All sorts of people test... I'm diet-controlled, no meds, but I test. Usually when I'm feeling icky, to see what's going on, or in restaurants to check what I can safely order, carbwise... I find it very helpful. When I started out it helped me to find out what foods agreed with me and which didn't, which is termed "eating to your meter". If I tested before a meal and 2 hours after first bite, and I didn't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, that meal was worth repeating. If not, well, it got adjusted or scrapped entirely. Others may also test to see what their meds are doing, as some may cause hypo's, or doses aren't high enough and they're going hyper... Insulin users really do need to test to be safe. A meter can tell you all sorts of things, so... It's a really useful tool, no matter how you're tackling your D. Most T2 testers here, I think, self-fund, which can get a little expensive. But to me, it's worth every penny.

So... All i have to add now is: Excelent progress with your HbA1c of 36! Congrats!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Alfie44 :)

Tagging @daisy1 for our new members information.

Personally I have to self test as I take insulin, however it is down to you as an individual to make this decision, it can empower individuals who want to take control of their condition and learn what works and what doesn't by checking :)

Alfie44

The reduction in my Hba1c score I assume was down to metformin and cutting out the amount of bread, pastry and potato I ate. I would pretty much eat a full loaf a day 4 slices toasted in a morning, 4 slices at lunch for sandwiches and the rest of the loaf with dinner. Mash or chips with nearly every evening meal and pastrys for snacks during the day. All of that stopped the day after I was diagnosed. Just by cutting this out im on my way to losing the 3 extra stone I was carrying.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on no meds and monitor and there are plenty of others who are on meds and monitor.
Sounds like you have your diet fairly well sorted so well done on that one.
I just like to monitor to make sure I know that bloods aren't going crazy while I'm not looking.
I'm not obsessive about it (well not too much) but do test FBG every morning and then once or twice during the day, usually only have one or two meals, so not that much of an imposition.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reduction in my Hba1c score I assume was down to metformin and cutting out the amount of bread, pastry and potato I ate. I would pretty much eat a full loaf a day 4 slices toasted in a morning, 4 slices at lunch for sandwiches and the rest of the loaf with dinner. Mash or chips with nearly every evening meal and pastrys for snacks during the day. All of that stopped the day after I was diagnosed. Just by cutting this out im on my way to losing the 3 extra stone I was carrying.

Fantastic improvement. Well done!

It seems you had a very carb-heavy diet, like myself. Great how a few improvements can make all the difference.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! I’m on Metformin and eat low carb and I monitor, it’s my incentive to stay in the straight and narrow.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up on the medication and then tested to make sure that I was doing my utmost to not need medication.
How not testing can be justified is beyond me - it is the same thinking as covering up the speedometer and relying on the fines to let you know how well you are driving.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Alfie44
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Alfie, I tested whilst losing weight but have not bothered since my Hba1C stabilised in the low 30s about three years ago. If you keep you weight off your blood sugar level should take care of itself.

The NHS/NICE guidelines recommend that those who are on insulin medication or at risk of hypos whilst operating heavy machinery or driving should test, the rest of us need not.

Reactions: LeftPeg

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alfie, I tested whilst losing weight but have not bothered since my Hba1C stabilised in the low 30s about three years ago. If you keep you weight off your blood sugar level should take care of itself.

The NHS/NICE guidelines recommend that those who are on insulin medication or at risk of hypos whilst operating heavy machinery or driving should test, the rest of us need not.

That's what I would regard as true diabetes reversal. Do you find that you've been able to introduce carbs back into your diet to a certain degree, or are you still strictly LCHF?

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done with your amazing progress!

Echoing everyone else - I'm type 2, no meds, and I self-test. To find out what foods work/don't work, and hopefully get a surprise along the way. So far, the only real surprise is that I can eat a bag of crisps and as long as I go on a brisk walk afterwards, it'
s within limits.

I don't really want to eat crisps though - I wanted the surprise to be that I could eat biscuits!

If you keep you weight off your blood sugar level should take care of itself.

Just a litte note on that - we are all different, and what is true for some is not true for all. I have not really had much weight to lose in this diabetic journey, but my blood sugar is definitely not taking care of itself.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed almost 5 years ago. Never had any meds, just a low carb diet. I have had non-diabetic levels since the first 4 or 5 months after diagnosis, purely by eating to my meter, aided a few times a year by wearing a Libre sensor. I still test several times a day when not wearing a Libre. Testing and keeping records is my motivation to stay away from the carbs.