I like a sausage

steamerdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
veg
Hi guys,
looking for a bit of guidance here, one of my weaknesses in life is/was a sausage. Since getting an earhole bashing from my cardiologist about sugar levels I have really paid attention to what I eat and have worked out that I cant have a lot of bread, the sausage sarnie for breakfast on a Sunday morning at work has gone right out of the window :( , question is there are many types of sausage and I would eat most of them . If I was working in Germany a Bratwurst always went down a treat but I now know these are really high in fat, a definate no no but in the Uk I enjoy a Savaloy, are these full of dodgy ingreadients or are they ok? they dont seem to fatty or stodgy.
Anybody any ideas?
Dave

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bratwurst are the lowest crb sausage on the market. A good quality one will be less than 1g carb per sausage. A a **** fine sausage too.

wiflib

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dave,

Check the packaging and if they contain 90% pork then you will know that they are low-carb and low-fat too. I tend to buy from my local butcher mostly but Morrisons do a sausage called The Black Farmer, they contain 90% pork and have 1g of carbs per sausage and are truly delicious! :D

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Dave :) Try out the sausages you like and those which have been suggested here and test 2 hours afterwards. That way you will see what they do to your own levels. Everyone is different as we say so often on here :D

anniep

I live near a farm shop which does their own low fat pork sausage, which is made of mainly lean pork - I buy these for my husband as he is on low fat diet. It is alwo low carb as there is no cereal in it unlike many factory made.

If there are proper butchers and places around that might ake their own sausages, go in and see what they make.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
M&S do a very nice 97% sausage - 6 in a pack and are on offer at the moment 2 for £5 :D

bedshaped2000

i to use the black farmer and the asda gluten free ones. something i cant work out is chip shop saveloys. they dont touch my bg readings 1 2 and 3 hours after eating but my research states that the average saveloy has 20g of carb. most of my meals and snacks are around 10 to 20 g of carb alone so i cant work it out or maybe im just lucky. not so luky with the farm shop sausages down the road they were obvioulsy packed with wheat :x

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Debbie & Andrew's Harrogate 97% Pork Sausages are the best ive tried so far,(i get mine from Tesco) I made scotch eggs with these and quail eggs at the weekend, the whole family loved them
006-4.jpg

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sue, they look great, can you make me half a dozen please :D

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks Sid :D :D

Sue

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sue o2 said:
Debbie & Andrew's Harrogate 97% Pork Sausages are the best ive tried so far,(i get mine from Tesco) I made scotch eggs with these and quail eggs at the weekend, the whole family loved them

Your scotch eggs do look lovely Sue! :mrgreen:

Debbie & Andrews sausage are great but can be a little on the expensive side, sometimes Morrison's have a promotion with 50p off a pack which makes them all the more appealing! :D

Nigel

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I better keep my eye on Morrisons :lol:
Sue

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Asda price on Black Farmer sausages is £2.50 for six but you can buy 2 packs for £4.00. Lidl also do a low carb sausage but I find them too salty for me, much prefer the Black Farmer ones.

Havn't made scotch eggs for donkey's years, 20 years on low fat, but those look really good so I might have a go.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Serena they were lovely and i used pork scratchings to coat them in, i thought they might come out too salty so i didnt add any sort to the sausage, and they didnt taste salty at all
Sue

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sue02 - those eggs look awesome! Did you dep fry them?

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Patch said:
Sue02 - those eggs look awesome! Did you dep fry them?

No Patchi cooked them in the oven gas mark 5 for 23 minutes and to be honest they tasted better than ones i used to make when i fried them pre diabetes days :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That is GREAT news!!! (I don't have a deep fat fryer - they're a little messy for my liking!)

They look deep fried, though. How did you get 'em so golden?

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Must be the pork scratchings, :lol:
I dont have a fryer anymore either, the kitcheen is much cleaner for it, :D
Sue