Help...... injecting

louismum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I ave a hospital appointment with a view of going onto insulin or something else. I am really scared at the thought of givin myself an injection. Can anyone ease my worries by telling me what its like and where do you have to inject yourself and are the needles long and need pushing in a long way. help please.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You inject in the fatty bit of you stomach the needles are short mine are on 4 mm and should go just below the scin into the fatty layer

Most of the time there is no pain what so ever so don't get too worried

RussG

Hi Louismum,

I started taking insulin in December last year and I can honestly say it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. As Searley said, the needles are tiny really. They're both very thin and very short. You inject into the skin and fat, not muscle or veins, so it's really easy.

I was pretty nervous as I didn't like needles (who does?) but it is really not bad. You'll be fine.

Are you taking someone with you to the appointment? If you can, I'd highly recommend it as there's loads of info to take in as well as the needles. You get to take stuff away, so it's not a problem if you're on your own but it's better with someone else there.

Good luck!

Russ

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Injections are very small nowadays.

I was with someone in hospital a while back that was absolutely petrified, but he did it with a bit of encouragement. He was given the pen to try and put it in, and by the time the nurse came back he had done it with a bit of encouragement from me, and he admitted he didn't feel it go in!!! He even left the pen in his leg to wait for the nurse to see.......he was so pleased with himself. He wasn't a kid either- he was over the age of 25!

The other thing is that there is loads of places that you can inject-you don't have to do it in your stomach. I always did mine in my bum, and I was very naughty and only did them in my left cheek of my bum, as being right handed it was easier for me. I never used my belly. I would use my legs and arms. Even though I was naughty by not rotating as instructed, I am very, very, very lucky as I have not had any bad effects from this to my skin. I do advise that you rotate them as instructed.
To keep skin nice and supple I have always massaged baby oil in over my whole body after a bath (except my face). I use cannulas now, as I am on a pump, and I still use my legs and bum both sides in preference to my stomach. I am lean and a size 10 and no fat, just good muscles.

I too have an awful fear of injections....I have only ever had one injection in my mouth whilst being awake, and it took me 42 years to get the courage for this!! Ambulance people have tried previously to put intravenous injections in me, and despite being clasified as in a diabetic coma, I still lashed out and hit the Doctor that was accompanied by 4 paramedics at the time!!!! (25 years ago!!)-as I knew they were trying to put a needle in to me.....

I have to say that the needles nowadays are so, so, so tiny-4mm is so small compared to waht we were offered 25 years ago!!!! They are the vast majority of the time totally painless......

Hope this helps, and good luck if you have to have them. You can do it. Honest...

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Louismum!

I started on injections about last November. I was so scared that I was about in tears in the nurse's office :oops: She was trying to explain everything to me and I was not listening, just focussed on needles, so she said 'Right, let's get this out of the way'. She got a pen out, put a needle in it and showed me on herself how to inject. She then gave me a pen and told me to have a go. I was so embarrassed that this poor nurse had stuck a needle in herself for my benefit that I took the pen and got on with it! You know what? I didn't even feel it go in! What a fuss over nothing! Seriously, you will wonder what all the angst has been about - I promise! My needles are 4mm (if you have a bit of fat on you they might have to be slightly longer). I don't like injecting into my tummy (still being a complete wuss :lol: ) so I use hips, thighs, bum. I really feel so much better that I wish they'd put me straight on insulin when I was diagnosed - it would have saved me a year of being really ill and hungry. I still cry at blood tests though :lol:

Good luck - be brave - it's nowhere near as bad as you think!

Smidge

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Louismum,

Add another to the list of don't worries. I have been injecting for a little over 2 years now and it really is no problem at all.
When I first started I had to psyche myself up to it but after a week or so it wasn't an issue at all and now I can pretty much do it without even thinking about it.

I find that the fingerprick test actually hurts more than the insulin shot does so if you are already doing that and aren't bothered by it then you have nothing at all to worry about.

It truly is not as bad as you fear.

A

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Much like others have said the injections are quite easy to administer and in time you will be a dab hand at this procedure, the needles used now are very small and fine and provided you change the needle after every use as instructed you should not feel any pain when injecting.

Nigel

sd29

Hi, I have jsut started, just last week, and the finger pricks for the blood testing hurt far more! They will talk to you about it, and I was made to try a dummy injection. They had to show me 5 times as I was very dizzy after an admission for a bad hyper and they had to take me off the tablet regime, so I agree if you can take someone else.

A week later, and it's no bother. I just put the pen on my skin and gravity plus ultra fine needles do the rest with minimal coaching! I wish they had tried this for me from the start, I am finding it so much easier than the tablets.

My needles are 4mm, very fine. I am slim build, low fat, and still don't feel them at all, despite being very novice!

Good luck!

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I agree that the finger pricks hurt more. I was a needle phobic and now dont have a problem sticking myself with the 5mm or 4mm needles but sometimes still chicken out just pricking my fingers with a needle I cant see :lol: The first time you do it you think honestly is that even gone into the skin. Your fears just disapear.

Hi there,
My dad has been injecting himself for many many years, the needles are very thin and small and 'appear' to be painless.
He use to alternate the tops of his arms and his thighs, now he injects in the stomach

Kelly

josie38

Hi louismum,

I was exactly the same as you when I was diagnosed. My dsn told me that in order to leave hospital I had to inject myself so I did. You should get lots of support and Im sure that everything will be explained properly.

As it has been said you will be a dab hand at it soon.

Hope all goes well :D :D :D

Josie

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

like a few people i was hospitalized on diagnosis for 3 days, i was told not only couldn't i have the dinner that was infront of me if i didn't inject, i also wasn't allowed home until i could show i was able to test mt BG's and inject myself. Fair to say that was enough to push me to do it. I was scared though, and it was the first time i'd cried since beig told i had diabetes.

The nurse was lovely though, was just encouraging telling me it's pretty much painless, and she was right.

It's still gonna be scary and daunting the first few times no matter what anybody says, but we can all assure you it does get easy and i think you'll be surprised at how easy it is once you've done it.

Good luck! :)

Pneu

When I was first diagnosed I was scared to inject... I remember sitting talking to the diabetic nurse who was a plump old lady and totally old school.. I still remember like yesterday (even though it was nearly 15 years ago!) when I said I couldn't inject... she told me to stop being such a panzy took a need and slammed it into her stomach!?!! I was totally shocked.. but I thought if that crazy old lady can do that then I can too and no problems with needles since

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pneu said:
When I was first diagnosed I was scared to inject... I remember sitting talking to the diabetic nurse who was a plump old lady and totally old school.. I still remember like yesterday (even though it was nearly 15 years ago!) when I said I couldn't inject... she told me to stop being such a panzy took a need and slammed it into her stomach!?!! I was totally shocked.. but I thought if that crazy old lady can do that then I can too and no problems with needles since

When I was first diagnosed I spent a week in hospital, the first day we practised my injecting technique using oranges before allowing me to use the syringe on myself..... the orange sure did taste strange afterwards though! :D

Nigel

louismum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thankyou so much everyone, you have eased my mind no end. I see and endo this Thursday and then diabetic nurse next Tuesday. I just hope I dont have to go in hospital as my bg numbers are around 15 at the minute.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck for Thursday and hope you get those numbers down soon! :)

Nigel