Metformin and muscle pain

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am type 2, diagnosed before Xmas. On metformin 2 x 500g a day. The tops of my legs, hips and bum area go from slight numbness to painful especially when I lie down at night. It’s like pressure points. Has anyone else experienced this. Not sure if I should persevere or ditch the pills. Any replies appreciated

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds more like statin side effects. Are you on a statin by any chance?

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No, no statins. Doctor wasn’t sure if I needed metformin or not as my levels not too high fbg 8.5 hbA1c 52 so might just stop taking them and see if symptoms ease. Thanks for reply

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, no statins. Doctor wasn’t sure if I needed metformin or not as my levels not too high fbg 8.5 hbA1c 52 so might just stop taking them and see if symptoms ease. Thanks for reply
Many on here have reduced their HbA1c on diet alone, have you changed your diet? My HbA1c was higher at 70 on diagnosis and I do take Metformin, but I believe that the low carb diet I eat has reduced it more than the tablets.

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I am type 2, diagnosed before Xmas. On metformin 2 x 500g a day. The tops of my legs, hips and bum area go from slight numbness to painful especially when I lie down at night. It’s like pressure points. Has anyone else experienced this. Not sure if I should persevere or ditch the pills. Any replies appreciated
Was initially started just on Gliclazide when diagnosed T2 March last year. During an appointment with an Endocrinology consultant I had Metformin added to my medication. I experienced aches and pains in all my leg muscles after a few weeks on Gliclazide and Metformin. Had the Metformin stopped and put onto the modified release version which still had the same effect. Had Metformin stopped and was put onto Pioglitazone which unfortunately had no effect on my Blood Sugar readings, however the aches and pains did subside. Eventually had Pioglitazone stopped while in hospital and was put onto Insulin, 1 injection in morning and still taking Gliclazide twice daily. My diabetic team hadn't heard of the symptoms I was having in relation to the Metformin but the fact that they did subside when stopped indicates that a few people can present with these side affects. Maybe ask your diabetic team about trying something else instead of the Metformin. Good luck hope everything works out for you.

joss.t2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes me. And im not sure if it was on this forum or i googled it about a couple of years ago there are quite a few of us.
I have tried Met several times as my DN thought they were just too strong.
I was put on one 500mg for first week then up to 2 x 500.
By the second week my whole left side had frozen (i thought it was an old injury playing up)and i went to the Dr and swopped straight onto Gliclazide. Didnt take them for a couple of days my body went back to normal.
Gliclazide has been brliant for my immune system. IF i get a cold or Spot they go really quickly but don't seem to bring bs down much.
My mum been on Met for 30 years with no problems. only the usual problem and only when her dose was raised.
Also on pcos site they say to take Met with protein and this seams to help some people.
There are loads of new tablets around now.
I have got to go to the dr for more help now. Hope you find what you need soon.

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, thanks for the replies, glad I’m not the only one, was worried about lactic acidosis even though I know it’s rare.To answer your question Rachox, yes I’ve started low carb diet, finding it no problem so far. Think I’ll just stick with that for now and come off the tablets. Will also get back to gym tomorrow, need to do a fitness test for work, was struggling before and that’s why I went to doctor. Didn’t expect her to say I had diabetes got a glucose meter now so will test myself to see how it goes

Reactions: Haggissy and Rachox

zoegray59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update, my symptoms haven’t gone away, have done a bit of research and looks like proximal neuropathy, probably nothing to do with metformin so will try it again
I was on Metformin and I got bad muscle pain I took myself off of of it.

Reactions: Haggissy

tsavorite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on Metformin for 2 months following a steroid shot I had in my knee. I am a steroid induced diabetic and was supposed to be on the metformin for another month, for a total of 3 months due to the fact that steroids make my sugar go Sky High. The first month of Metformin gave me severe diarrhea and stomach cramping. This subsided after the first 4 weeks but then unusual muscle pain started. It started at the base of my bottom are my legs attached to my body. Then it spread to my hips and then down the front of my legs. It starts at night when I'm sleeping but gets better once I am up during the day, but not always. I found your forum and see that this has happened to other people as well as some kind of side effect from the metformin? I talked to my doctor and I'm going off and Metformin for a few days to see if this pain subsides. But doesn't seem to be anything I can take for the pain either so I'm hoping that going off of it will make it stop. I'm pretty good controlling my diabetes with my diet so my doctor thinks I could stay off of the metformin unless I need another steroid shot.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Metformin and a statin, I started and stopped the tablets on the same day so I can't say which was the cause - but it took a lot longer than a week for the pains to subside after stopping them - the nurse I described them to said there was no way that they could be from taking the tablets - even though they started soon after I began the treatment. They did go away eventually but it did take some time. The last residues departed when I began to take a vitamin and mineral supplement.

linking

This has happened to me, I have been on Metformin slow release 500 x 2 daily for about a year, about a month ago I started with the same pains as you describe, night time is awful, no sleep and constant pain, knees hips and back. As I also suffer from Fibromyalgia, and certain drugs will give me this I knew it was the Met as nothing else had changed, and I'm not on statins either as they do the same as Metformin to me. So I stopped the Met and after a week my pains were less, started Met again back came the pains, so I have now done this twice and each time the same result. GP not happy with me stopping it and wouldn't listen I have reported him for this and other issues. The lack of knowledge that so called professionals lack about this medication is amazing. This drug had been banned in various countries at certain times including USA, if a person cant clear the drug due to certain problems with kidneys or liver etc then the Met builds up in the muscles and can cause Latic Acidosis, which is serious but as I say GP no knowledge, so I think that in your case it could be the drug.

Emma 312

Yes. My dad has had severe muscle pain in his thighs, buttocks and the worst pain is in his right shoulder. Hes quite miserable. Even pain killers cant help. His doctor downplayed the pain and wint prescribe an alternative saying metformin is the safest drug blah blah. I feel helpless.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I had no problems at all with Metformin, only Statins, evil drugs with horrendous muscle pain.

Reactions: kevduk

joss.t2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone from earlier posts i have read. Met does stop you absorbing vitamin b12 in some people. Let pain especially in the night can be caused by a low magnesium level. (See most low carb sites) I'm not saying it Is that. But could it be it stops some bodies absorbing vitamin and minerals as it does B12? Because everyone here reads different things maybe one person will have seen something I missed and we will be a little closer to an answer.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Like a previous poster I have Fibromyalgia.
I am on the maximum dose of Metformin SR. I am also on a statin.
I cant say I link the pain to Metformin at all but perhaps that's just because we all cope differently with different drugs and the side effects affect us in different ways. I got terrible flatulence. My work mates did not appreciate that!.

Metforminuser

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Metformin for 2 months following a steroid shot I had in my knee. I am a steroid induced diabetic and was supposed to be on the metformin for another month, for a total of 3 months due to the fact that steroids make my sugar go Sky High. The first month of Metformin gave me severe diarrhea and stomach cramping. This subsided after the first 4 weeks but then unusual muscle pain started. It started at the base of my bottom are my legs attached to my body. Then it spread to my hips and then down the front of my legs. It starts at night when I'm sleeping but gets better once I am up during the day, but not always. I found your forum and see that this has happened to other people as well as some kind of side effect from the metformin? I talked to my doctor and I'm going off and Metformin for a few days to see if this pain subsides. But doesn't seem to be anything I can take for the pain either so I'm hoping that going off of it will make it stop. I'm pretty good controlling my diabetes with my diet so my doctor thinks I could stay off of the metformin unless I need another steroid shot.
Have you tried taking a magnesium vitamin?

Jumbo8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been aT2 for 40 years and in the last 5+ years experiencing difficulty walking . I walk 100m or so and have to sit for a couple of minutes because of hip pain radiating from my lower back. I can then walk another 50m or so pain free but have to sit again when the pain returns.
I’ve had MRI & MRA looking for claudation or other issues but none found. I’m on insulin and Atorvastatin and other BP meds plus for last 4 months Ozempic, and wonder if anyone has identified Atorvastatin as the culprit of such symptoms?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been aT2 for 40 years and in the last 5+ years experiencing difficulty walking . I walk 100m or so and have to sit for a couple of minutes because of hip pain radiating from my lower back. I can then walk another 50m or so pain free but have to sit again when the pain returns.
I’ve had MRI & MRA looking for claudation or other issues but none found. I’m on insulin and Atorvastatin and other BP meds plus for last 4 months Ozempic, and wonder if anyone has identified Atorvastatin as the culprit of such symptoms?
I was taking Atorvastatin with Metformin - started and stopped them on the same day so I can't separate the two, but as other causes have been investigated you might see if stopping it helps - though it took 18 months for the last niggling ache to go away, and my legs have never fully recovered their strength - but I used to run up mountains, cycle and row, so I used to be unusually strong. I make long socks for myself and I found that they were all too loose after the statin, as my leg muscles shrank.