Needle length

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been put on 4mm needles and have been using them for 3 days. Since then my blood sugars have been higher - 8 rather than 5 averages.

Last night I was 14 before dinner. I ate an apple for it and injected 4.5 units. (1.5 for apple, 3 for correction). 1.5 hours later my BG was 17.5. I injected another 4 - worried I’d hypo- but was 5 this morning.

I personally think they’re leaking- I’m holding them in for 20 seconds and down hard (so there’s a mark on me after) but every time I touch the hole after, insulin leaks out

Also- I’ve never had a needle leave a hole in me before! The smaller needles are meant to hurt less but they hurt me more!

I’ve only used 6mm needles before so feel the injection method is the same.

I’ve started adding 0.5 a unit to every injection to curb leakage.

All the research suggests that 4mm needles don’t leak more and hurt less. But I’m experiencing the opposite.

Any tips? Am I a needle freak?!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you pinching an inch? (you don't need to/shouldn't do btw) And you shouldn't have to push it down hard either, that may be making it worse actually. What was the reason for changing the needles? if you're struggling with them why not ask to go back to what you were using before?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jessitalia Agreeing with slip - you shouldn't need to push down hard and you do need to pinch an inch and only hold for 10 seconds, this is what's probably causing you the pain, I also wouldn't be pushing down on the injection site afterwards either, all you are simply doing is injecting into subcutaneous fat tissue, the insulin is then absorbed through the tissue into the blood stream so regardless of length there should be no difference in performance.

Are you stressing more because of this change over ? As this will cause your levels to run higher, if it's stressing you out ask to go back to your old 6mm ones, but i'd give it a few more days first.

Reactions: smc4761

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Jessitalia have to agree with what has been said before.
I have been using 4mm needles now for a long time and have never had any issues.

D

Deleted Account

The problem may not be your new needles.
Did your needle change coincide with a change on insulin pen/cartridge?
You could try changing to a new pen/cartridge.
Or it could be stress or illness which is causing the rise in BG.

My experience agrees with the research you have read - the smaller needles did not show any increase in BG when I chnaged from 6mm to 4mm

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Thanks so much for writing. You’ve made some good points.

No, I’m not punching, I just shove the needle in, count to 20, pull it out. That’s why it’s so confusing to me.

@slip they changed me because of the research ‍♀️ (They were shocked I was on 6mm)..

@Juicyj That’s a really good point about being stressed... maybe I guess. The needles are making me extremely unhappy and for the first time in 28 years of Diabetes I considered how I could avoid injecting. Extreme, but there you go (not gone that road though!)

Thanks @helensaramay No, I’m using needles with my usual stuff. Though once my Novoraoid finishes I will be starting on Humalog. Slightly concerned about that too! But we’ll see.

Reactions: CranberryIce

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jessitalia . Agree with everything that all have said before me. You’re very lucky to get replies from such esteemed members. Four of the most experienced on the forum :).
Just as an addition to what’s already been said.....
I’m also 28 yrs in with this diabetes malarkey and recently moved house which resulted in a change of GP surgery.
I’m fortunate that I use a CGM. I’ve had nothing but trouble and hassle since joining this new surgery, the amazing thing is that now when I have to visit the surgery for anything whatsoever my blood sugar goes AWOL crazy on my CGM. Just knowing I’m going into battle with this useless surgery is enough to see me go from a nice 7 upto a raging 15 in the space of half an hour.
It’s absolutely crazy and very difficult to stop happening.
I suspect you may be in a similar situation with things. I know it’s easier said than done but try to put stuff in perspective and relax a bit.
Good luck with everything.:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Jessitalia We are creatures of routine and when something is changed without our permission it can cause stress, I know when I changed basals from lantus to Tresiba I was stressed and more so when it took a while for bg levels to settle down, like anything new give it a chance ;)

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hormone cycles? Is your body warm enough during the day? Do you think you might be fighting off a head cold or something? Insulin is still inside its use by date?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Could it be that while they’re shorter, they may not be as fine as your previous needles? Are they the same make and gauge? I’m sure I’ve read people not getting on with different brands when they’ve been changed for cost reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everybody was called in to see my 12.5mm needles. :happy:

4 v 12.5
2018-11-19%2020.32.21-2.jpg

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could it be that while they’re shorter, they may not be as fine as your previous needles? Are they the same make and gauge? I’m sure I’ve read people not getting on with different brands when they’ve been changed for cost reasons.
This has happened to me a few times mel been given cheaper needles but quick vsit to drs and changed back to my normal ones i use owen mumford unifine 4mm 32gauge and find them so smooth were they changed me to verifine forget maker but they was horrendous although same specs

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Needle sizes have been reducing for years now and 4mm is the norm and what I use. I don't pinch and read somewhere that you shouldn't need to. I guess you need to find out what works for you. Note that I am normal weight and hence low'ish skin fat

Reactions: becca59