What's the biggest glucose spike you've had?

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
22.9 was my highest meter reading soon after diagnosis, I learn't that a full Easter roast lunch followed by apple crumble and custard and washed down with cider probably wasn't the future!

Reactions: Prem51 and Flora123

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
Mine was also bread - just one slice of toast took me from 5.0 to 9.2. That was my 2nd day after diagnosis and no bread consumed since. Thankfully, and luckily not seen a 9 since!

Have you tried Hovis Low Carb Bread... I have it every morning now with my cooked breakfast.
9.9g Carb & 1.1g sugar per slice

Reactions: Prem51

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
Mine was a horrible spike of 8mmol/l from 5.6 to 13.6 an hour after eating a fresh plum one afternoon. The birds got the rest of the punnet. This wasn't long after diagnosis. Strangely enough those figures were very similar to a home OGTT I did last year - at an hour into the test.

Are you testing to soon?.
I though it was at least 90mins after eating?

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Urm...21.

Two hours after three bowls of Special K. Had without milk because I knew milk spiked me ;)

I don’t remember what I started from but it wasn’t astronomically high - maybe 7 or 8.

I tested like three times and washed hands in between because I’d never seen my meter go that high. I can’t believe my epitaph might read Overdose of Special K. What a truly embarrassing way to go.

I don’t even especially like Special K.
I don’t know why anyone eats Special K. It has one of the worst fibre to carbs ratios of any cereal on the market and doesn’t even taste nice. Even Sugar Puffs are healthier. Glad you survived this close shave!

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I haven’t had many major spikes since I started testing. My worst was a 9.4 after a wrap.
I’ve become increasingly carb averse.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Hovis Low Carb Bread... I have it every morning now with my cooked breakfast.
9.9g Carb & 1.1g sugar per slice
I haven’t as it put me off any bread. I’ve got my first HBA1C in 4 weeks since my diagnosis so trying to make sure levels are as stable as possible - my experimenting with carbs was mainly done in the first week or so and then I gave up. Once I get my next reading, as long as it’s going the right way I’ll indulge for a week or two again with trying new things so will definitely give it a go. I thought potatoes would be what I missed most but it’s actully bread so fingers crossed I could handle just one slice :)

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
I haven’t as it put me off any bread. I’ve got my first HBA1C in 4 weeks since my diagnosis so trying to make sure levels are as stable as possible - my experimenting with carbs was mainly done in the first week or so and then I gave up. Once I get my next reading, as long as it’s going the right way I’ll indulge for a week or two again with trying new things so will definitely give it a go. I thought potatoes would be what I missed most but it’s actully bread so fingers crossed I could handle just one slice :)
Oh yeah, best not to yet then.. but once under control give it a go... I usually go for a good walk with my dog after breakfast and my readings are always low by the time I get back, so introducing the bread help a little... But found eating carbs in morning and/or for lunch was the best time.

Reactions: Prem51 and Emma_369

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
20.6 mmol, and the strange thing was that I only had eaten a cheeseburger, some fries and a diet coke somewhere between 1-2 hours prior.

Well I am not very good at testing, so I might have a couple of such readings, but 20 is the highest I’ve seen. Strange since the endocrinologist meant I was RH because of having very low readings too.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
21.5 after a large amount of lovely crusty bread :-(

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a juicy 20 at a glucose tolerance test last week. Could feel that - wasn't nice. Was off the meter before diagnosis but I was used to running in the 30s then so was oblivious to it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing to soon?.
I though it was at least 90mins after eating?

I agree it is at least 90 minutes, but I was probably trying to find my peak. My peaks are normally between 1 hour and 90 minutes. It was a long time ago now and I can't remember why I tested at an hour. I probably also tested at 90 mins and 2 hours, and if not back down to an acceptable level, I may have carried on until I was. It was all to understand what happens. Spikes happen at any time, not just at 2 hours.

Mary1680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being taken seriously
Just a bit of fun really....What's the biggest glucose spike you've had?

And what caused it?

My partner has just been diagnosed T2, so we're in the 'test before and after every meal' stage, to see what does and doesn't spike her.

So far we attempted a sandwich from Greggs (Bad idea, but she's not coping well with the change) and it spiked her a wopping 7 points!

She went from Pre-meal 7.0 to 13.9 !

So what's the biggest spike you've had ? And what caused it.

Bananas do it for me!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had quite a few high readings unexplained as well as I keep a close eye on my readings after meals. But the highest reading was so high the meter couldn't read it 33.3 was all the meter would say, I had the beginnings of a viral infection.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was 17.7 a few weeks back after sinking 3 pints of beer in the space of an hour. Mind you, my hba1c was 103 at diagnosis, which is an average of 16.5, so god knows how high I've been. I would imagine I've hit the 30 mark more than once.

Derbysocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine was so high the meter just said HI. After I had some M&S mince pies with almond topping last Christmas. Very nice pies.

Reactions: porl69

CaCl19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally well controlled, but have had problems for years on metformin. My doctors kept telling me it was to do with my diverticulitis. Recently moved have got new surgery and they have taken me seriously. Stopped metformin told me to monitor for 2 weeks, readings 14-15. Reintroduced gliclazide but only at 40mg twice daily, used to take 160mg twice daily. Started hypos after 3stone weight loss. Levels coming down but still 9-11. Last night went to bed at 9.2. Today woke up with sore throat, it is also a very stressful day. LEVEL HAD SPIKED AT 27.3, RETESTED 30.6, checked monitor with solution was 8.2 so not machine or strips. Several litres of water later and no carbs at all. Came down to 17.6. Tested short time ago and now 12.3. Next week to see doctor for medication tweak.

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
My highest was 29mmol while I was at work. I had sat to do my patients notes and lost nearly an hour of time, I was just staring at the wall. Stopped at After hour clinic on my way home. From what we worked out I had a kidney infection.
My worst foods to cause high spikes are pasta, homemade bread, pizza. Sometimes Chinese foods. Hot fish & chips seems to depend on the fats they are cooked with, if they are cooked from scratch or they are frozen. I have found one of the frozen varieties from Aldi don’t seem to cause a high spike and also the chips from one of our local garage takeaways. It is constantly try, test and learn.

shirleyannco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from 5.2 to 13 aftt Bran flakes with skimmed milk but 2 hours later I was back in the 5 snow have eggs and bacon instead

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My highest recorded spike was from 5.6 before eating to 10.5 two hours later.
It was after eating pork chow mein. It might have been due to other factors as I have eaten chow mein made with egg noodles before and since then with lower readings.

Before that my highest reading was 10.4 two hours after eating porridge.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a big spike yesterday. I am on holiday and decided to have fish and chips for lunch in a chip shop cafe, with a pot of tea.

I am wearing a Libre. That told me I was 5 before I ate. I peaked at 10.7 within the first 60 minutes then dropped like a stone to 5.5 before 2 hours (about 100 minutes) then dropped to the mid 4s before my liver kicked in not long after 2 hours. I didn't like the spike, but I guess even non-diabetics would have reached that. I was delighted I came down quickly. Normal readings thereafter.