Help for a friend

Africasez

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
hi everyone. I have a friend who’s daughter is 22 and is refusing to take her insulin because she doesn’t want to go on any longer. She suffers with very bad depression and has tried taking her life a few times. My poor friend is struggling to keep a hold of things. She works tirelessly to help her daughter. Her daughter called IAPT but they returned her call whilst she was in hospital and hasn’t called back. Is there anything you guys can suggest to help please. My friend is desperate x

Reactions: paganlady

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you in the UK ? Are the mental health services in touch with your friend ? The GP could refer the mother. Sorry I can't help.
Carol

Africasez

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi carol. Thank you for replying. So her daughter went to the gp who referred her to IAPT. I’m not sure if
You’ve had experience with the NHS and the mental health system, it’s self referral. So she did contact them and left a message, they called her during a stay in hospital but she didn’t call them back. Being an young adult, she obviously needs to take some responsibility for herself, however, depression is an evil beast.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi carol. Thank you for replying. So her daughter went to the gp who referred her to IAPT. I’m not sure if
You’ve had experience with the NHS and the mental health system, it’s self referral. So she did contact them and left a message, they called her during a stay in hospital but she didn’t call them back. Being an young adult, she obviously needs to take some responsibility for herself, however, depression is an evil beast.
I don't know how things work in the UK, but the mom could get in touch with the GP and let them know her daughter is a risk to herself, maybe? Getting committed is a big deal, and maybe having her put under supervision will damage their relationship for a while... I dunno. But it may save a life.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Africasez Getting help for a vulnerable person who is refusing to take life saving medication is a difficult area, if she's a danger to herself which it sounds like she is, then it sounds like she needs to be sectioned so she can be assessed.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/sectioning/about-sectioning/#.W-6PxVT7Tcs

You would need to speak to the hospital about the process of this and what it would entail but if she is considered high risk then it would be for her own safety that she is detained.

It really boils down to why she is suffering depression, it could simply be down to her blood glucose control as if she is running constantly high then this would contribute greatly to her anxiety and depression, so getting her BG levels down would help her cope better mentally, if there are other reasons then being assessed should identify why she is in her current state of mind. Does she want to be helped ?

Reactions: gemma_T1

Africasez

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you for replying. I’ve sent your comments to my friend. She’s at a loss really so hopefully she’ll figure some out soon to help x