Hba1c up

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I cannot help being disappointed with my latest results. I know they are still very good but I have gone up from 33mmol to 36mmol. As far as I can tell I have not increased my carb intake. I wonder if this rise should be considered significant or if it is within the expected margin of error.

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is disappointing to see the number go up. However with rounding up and down those numbers could be as close as 33.4 and 35.5. The important thing is if it’s a continuing trend upwards. Do you test your sugar levels at home? I do and log them in the MySugr app which has a predicted estimated HbA1c figure. Now although it’s a bit out compared with my lab HbA1cs it does show me if it’s going up or down or staying steady.

Reactions: HelenHak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You are doing sterling work! Try not to be disappointed, as Rachox says, it is an average and it is still a Non D number and one I aspire to btw. Keep up the fantastic work.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And we assume that the average life of our red blood cells stays the same year in year out though I'm not sure there is any evidence for that. I was expecting mine to be higher this time and it was the lower.

Reactions: Prem51 and HelenHak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand this must be disappointing, but really the rise is fairly insignificant and can be put down to rounding or the normal margin of error. Try to move on and put it behind you - just watch out for a continuing trend. It is still an amazing result.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is disappointing to see the number go up. However with rounding up and down those numbers could be as close as 33.4 and 35.5. The important thing is if it’s a continuing trend upwards. Do you test your sugar levels at home? I do and log them in the MySugr app which has a predicted estimated HbA1c figure. Now although it’s a bit out compared with my lab HbA1cs it does show me if it’s going up or down or staying steady.

I have begun using mySugr as you suggested and my estimated Hba1c comes up as 27.9.... Significantly lower than my actual lab test result. I am going to up my finger pricks to see if I am peaking at one hour post prandial to see if that explains it.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have begun using mySugr as you suggested and my estimated Hba1c comes up as 27.9.... Significantly lower than my actual lab test result. I am going to up my finger pricks to see if I am peaking at one hour post prandial to see if that explains it.

The more finger pricks you enter the more accurate it will be. You need your peaks and your troughs fairly equally balanced.