Type 1 Libre accuracy: leg vs stomach?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seen a link somewhere but I can’t find it. I know abbot don’t support this but does anyone have any experience of which placement (leg vs stomach) is more accurate?

I suspect as with most things the answer will depend but I thought it was worth asking?

Thanks.

Reactions: wobbles

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havnt used one on the stomach but since I developed an allergic reaction (and wildly inaccurate readings) when using it on my arms (after several months of use ) , I have experimented with using them on my leg (thigh)
What Ive found using them on the leg compared to my arms has been
1) much better adhesion than on my arm
2) no allergic response (yet)
3) Much more consistently within 1mmol of finger prick tests

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Boo1979
I was a bit concerned about catching it on jeans etc but I guess it’s no more likely than when putting on t shirts.

D

Deleted Account

I have not tried anywhere apart from the arm.
However, I discovered better accuracy more under my arm than back of my arm.
This may be because it moves less when I flex my arm.
In addition, I caught it much less.

With the pump, I have experience of something stuff to my stomach and leg.
I find I catch the stomach less than my leg.

Reactions: drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally wear it under my arm and I’m one of the lucky ones that find it pretty accurate. I’m getting married next year so really don’t want to go without my libre but on this occasion would prefer it hidden somewhere.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Boo1979
I was a bit concerned about catching it on jeans etc but I guess it’s no more likely than when putting on t shirts.

As well as the standard arm placement, I have used the Libre on my lower tummy (hidden by bikini bottoms), and on my upper, outer chest, (hidden by,............. you guessed it - bikini tops). The one on my tummy was fine, in terms of performance, but the one on my chest less so - although I have to say I've had at least my fair share of wonky ones, and replacements.

The only comment I'd make about the tummy is it can get caught on raising or lowering fitted jeans, so a dash to the loo takes on an additional risk factor. I almost lost one that way, so was very careful after that.

In your shoes, I'd have a careful look at my dress and see where my options were, but whichever you choose, I hope your day goes as planned. Exciting times.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks DCUKMod!
Good points. All things considered i think I’ll practice with one on my leg and see how I get on.