What's the biggest glucose spike you've had?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to get some evidence of my glucose levels on carbs, and my RH on the Libre. In case I ever needed them.

so I waited til my birthday, and took Mr B out for a cream tea in the nice cafe down the road. Do I know how to live, or wot?

The entire spread was
1 round of sarnies
1 cream scone
a choc cream slice thing
a baby strawberry mousse

I tucked in, and a few mins later felt the sugar headache start. At which point I bottled, and asked for a doggy bag.
Think I got through the sarnies and half the scone before stopping, but the sugar high makes the memory a bit fuzzy.
Mr B ate all his portion and one of my cakes at the time.
Then he spread the doggy bag over the next day or so.

My readings started at 5.2
rose to 15.7 at around 90 mins
took over 6 hours to return to normal
at which point I dipped into a reactive hypo of the 3s.
it would have gone lower, but I am an old hand at this, and ate some proper low carb food and started to feel better.

It was the biggest spike I have measured, but then I went low carb long before I got a meter. Shudder to think what the highs may have been before that.

Anyway, I got the records I wanted.
Although my doc (at the time) then refused to look at them saying 'the Libre doesn't find favour in these parts'.
Such a dear man.

He thought I was pre-D and then back to normal, because of my HbA1cs.
Didn't 'believe' in low carbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mondFi and kokhongw

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My highest was 38mmol and ketones of 6.5 on diagnosis was in hospital for 5 days i am type1

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having what would have been a rather typical asian buffet breakfast of rice, noodles etc...on the last day of my Libre test...the spike peaked within 90 mins. And resulted in a reactive hypoglycemic event.

The wonderful insights that Libre provides.

upload_2018-11-17_3-57-41.png

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Biggest spike I've recorded was a bit over 11 after a set-to with stroppy husband. Highest I see from sugar/carby food are around 10.

Robbity

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it was pizza and beer, probably something else too - got me to HI, which meant 32mmol/l or more...:)
This one was measured, but I admit to have had big spikes in my youth more than this one...:oops:

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
supposedly not measurable with their equipment lol, 3 days with an insulin drip got me down into the high 50's.mmol

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is that a typo? High 50s and still alive? :arghh:

i believe it was 58mmol and after 3 days on an insulin drip the hospital said they did not have the equipment to measure it any higher? (Kettering general) anyway, i have never been able to get them down properly since unless i just don't eat. 26 units in the afternoon and i shall still wake up on 15 or maybe more...

JoGo13

Spiked at 26. Had a blood test and the hospital phoned me at 10.30pm last Tuesday telling me to come in now as it was 22 at the time of the test. I saw it kind of coming because my vision went blurred on the Sunday before. It was probably due to me drinking everything I could (including a lucozade) that Sunday. Diagnosed early hours of last Wednesday morning.

fireworks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a bit of fun really....What's the biggest glucose spike you've had?

And what caused it?

My partner has just been diagnosed T2, so we're in the 'test before and after every meal' stage, to see what does and doesn't spike her.

So far we attempted a sandwich from Greggs (Bad idea, but she's not coping well with the change) and it spiked her a wopping 7 points!

She went from Pre-meal 7.0 to 13.9 !

So what's the biggest spike you've had ? And what caused it.

Just a bit of fun really....What's the biggest glucose spike you've had?

And what caused it?

My partner has just been diagnosed T2, so we're in the 'test before and after every meal' stage, to see what does and doesn't spike her.

So far we attempted a sandwich from Greggs (Bad idea, but she's not coping well with the change) and it spiked her a wopping 7 points!

She went from Pre-meal 7.0 to 13.9 !

So what's the biggest spike you've had ? And what caused it.

Hi
My blood sugar the highest was high on my blood glucose meter it must have been over 35

annie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The highest - that I know of! - was 16.6 on diagnosis a few months ago while eating a diet full of carbs. Didn't really understand what that meant until I came home, googled and found that normal readings should be around ten mmol lower!

valmca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
16.6 mmol after I ate about a third of a large bag of Cadbury mini eggs I had bought for someone else! I live alone and normally never have chocolate in the house except 70-85% dark chocolate. I would probably have been around 5.8 mmol before I ate them. Came to my senses before devouring the entire bag, took a reading and frantically downed a tablespoon of cider vinegar followed by litres of water. I put the rest of the chocolate in the bin in case I was tempted again later after the scare wore off! About an hour later, when I went to bed, I was down to 10.5. I figured it was headed in the right direction and didn't check again until morning when it was 4.3. The next highest reading was 12mmol after Christmas dinner with all the trimmings. After taking the reading I refrained from pudding and didn't eat carbs for the rest of the day!