What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs and @Brunneria Ive never tried ox cheek but cut a recipe out of the paper last week that looked promisingly low carb without much tweaking ( apart from a tot of Marsala) what is the texture like?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs and @Brunneria Ive never tried ox cheek but cut a recipe out of the paper last week that looked promisingly low carb without much tweaking ( apart from a tot of Marsala) what is the texture like?
Amazingly soft and moist, falls apart. Personally, apart from lamb shoulder, it is the only type of meat no supplier can get wrong BUT tastes vary and you may disagree. It is very cheap so you won't lose much if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazingly soft and moist, falls apart. Personally, apart from lamb shoulder, it is the only type of meat no supplier can get wrong BUT tastes vary and you may disagree. It is very cheap so you won't lose much if you don't like it.

@DJC3

Exactly as Ian says.
Meltingly succulent, but it definitely needs long cooking. :)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast quarter of a piece of lo dough eggy bread ( finishing off my lodough supply but not planning to reorder at moment as I’m not that keen - prefer the hi lo toast!) with fried egg
Not too bothered about the lo-dough either. Hi-lo rules

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Glad to see you back, @jayney27.
@DJC3 -- Try to keep red wine to one glass a day as I sometimes worry about the impact on the liver, though not always succeeding. By the way, second the sentiments of @Brunneria and @ianpspurs, ox cheeks are amazing, soft and tasty, but definitely need quite some time to get there.

Didn't get to post yesterday, not sure I remember my meals for the last two days.

Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Late lunch: Soup with coconut milk, green curry, ginger, chicken broth, onions, carrots, cabbage, celery and mussels. Half a DD keto roll with steak tartar and mayonnaise. A Greek yoghurt with raspberries and erythritol.

Snack: Two squares of 95% chocolate. A glass of red wine.

Dinner: Another bowl of soup. A platter of assorted cheeses.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Steak tartar with mayonnaise and two fried eggs.

Dinner (out at the French tapas place): Half a serving of sweet potato fries with tomato aoili, a tiny serving of salmon-spinach quiche (my husband had the other half), poularde breast with celeriac mash. Two glasses of red wine.

Upon getting home: Blood sugars great at 4.6, but still a bit hungry -- so had a Wiener sausage.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Pattiserie Valerie: eggs Royale (poached eggs with salmon on a bed of mushrooms in place of the brioche with Hollandaise sauce) with a Diet Pepsi
Mid afternoon: black coffee and raspberryPhd bar.
Dinner at HungryHorse: gammon steak, fried egg, pineapple ring, half tomato and a side salad, followed by SF jelly, peach chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for tips on ox cheeks all. The recipe I’ve got says 4hrs in a low oven. How long did you cook it in the IP @ianpspurs. You said you used the meat/stew setting?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for tips on ox cheeks all. The recipe I’ve got says 4hrs in a low oven. How long did you cook it in the IP @ianpspurs. You said you used the meat/stew setting?
No idea how long really just pressed meat stew and walked dogs, simples. My boss said 1 hour on pressure cooker setting. Anyhow, all jolly spiffing as per.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cut two grilled hamburgers into bite-sized pieces, put them in a bowl, then shoveled lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers, celery, green onions, and shredded marble cheese on it. Topped with "Green Goddess" dressing (with a name like that I had to buy it). Was quite yummy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Like @ianpspurs , I just hit the meat/stew button and get on with other things. One thing that usually happens here, if I'm wearing the chef's hat is I'll cook earlier than we intend to eat, and leave it on keep warm, which could be for a few hours.

My cooking days are usually when MrB plays golf, and comes home very hungry, so on those days we tend to eat early, so something "maturing" in the pot is ideal, because we can eat something nourishing and warming very quickly.

I like ox cheek, but personally prefer pork. They're just a bit smaller, but also end up velvety, and for both the liquids end up quite velvety, due to all the connective tissue that just melts into the deliciousness.

This afternoon, I will be cooking butter chicken, as part of our Indian evening meal. As we have wall to wall rugby today, golf day rules apply (without the exercise)!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @ianpspurs , I just hit the meat/stew button and get on with other things. One thing that usually happens here, if I'm wearing the chef's hat is I'll cook earlier than we intend to eat, and leave it on keep warm, which could be for a few hours.

My cooking days are usually when MrB plays golf, and comes home very hungry, so on those days we tend to eat early, so something "maturing" in the pot is ideal, because we can eat something nourishing and warming very quickly.

I like ox cheek, but personally prefer pork. They're just a bit smaller, but also end up velvety, and for both the liquids end up quite velvety, due to all the connective tissue that just melts into the deliciousness.

This afternoon, I will be cooking butter chicken, as part of our Indian evening meal. As we have wall to wall rugby today, golf day rules apply (without the exercise)!
Have never tried pork cheek that way - love the cold roast ones you used to be able to buy teeth an all. The good rugby will be tonight but you just know officials will make it so ABs win.

Reactions: ziggy_w

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Last night I cooked a belly pork stew with a small portion of onions, celeriac, celery, carrots, and some green beans. Garlic, tomato puree, thyme, and a bay leaf beef stock It was yummy and the pork was so tender

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
You are very good neithskye... I ate some cheesy skillet bread (from alldayidreamaboutfood.com) with Brussels Pate... a sort of brunch really... I followed it with a pudding I make from a sugar-free strawberry jelly, with half boiling water and half organic full-fat coconut milk from a can (I whizz it in the Bullet to make it frothy and to mix the coconut water water with the cream)... then I stir in frozen blueberries and raspberries... it sets really fast and I pour cream on it usually... so bad compared to salad for breakfast!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Turkey, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, olives and sour cream and chive dip. Strawberries and cream.
Dinner - Chicken and halloumi fries with corn on the cob. Normal fries for my nephew who is stopping over. Copious games of boggle and Match of the Day Sunday morning to look forward to!:rolleyes:
Snacks - 85% chocolate and smoked almonds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This afternoon, I have made this, as one of our mains for an Indian Saturday meal. It's now sitting on "Keep Warm" for when we are ready. https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

When the sauce was finished, it was a bit on the mild side (we enjoy quite a bit of heat as well s flavour in our food), so I added some chilli. It's delicious and very, very simple, with 4 portions in this mix, plus a batch of the sauce already in the freezer for another time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This isn't at all LC, but I feel positive the inventive foodies amongst us could come up with some fabulous things to put into chocolate cups, so party food, or whatever.

A whole muffin/cupcake case size could be a bit OTT, but perhaps a smaller fairycake or mini size could work well.

Apologies for those who don't do Facebook.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stay LC they said - well that went well didn't it:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:
Breakfast: - Tea : - Cricket; pints and pints of tea then filter coffee with cream; how does that turn into 6.4 at 11.00? I really don’t want to lose any more weight but I can’t live with that level or find a breakfast I can live with
Dockey : Dog walk - feeling utterly dejected -
Lunch : Tea and CCB - kitchen disorganised while no 3 son did some plumbing jobs so just grabbed that; 5.7?? Something is very badly wrong
Mid Afternoon: Coffee and cream as per 2nd breakfast
Evening meal: Roast Broccolasta bake - Broccoli; M anb S herb and tomato pasta sauce 2.4% carbs and smoked cheddar and an egg; just waiting for the horror show from the glucometer

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all from a very chilly Devon, quiet day at home apart from an emergency dash to shop for coffee
Coffee with cream on waking
Late breakfast of sliced ham and cheese with an almond milk cappuccino
L 4 little pig in blankets, 2 ryvita thins as I wanted something crispy for my pate and didn’t have any low carb ones
D cod baked with a cracked pepper butter and celeriac chips, breyers coffee ice cream and I will have a glass of red later

Oops I forgot to add that I had a spoonful of fage yogurt with seeds and nuts sprinkled on in it this afternoon as a little treat ;)

Last edited: