Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Bright side to everything.

Now I'm testing my bg because of my pre diabetes diagnosis I decided when I got my new stash of strips to test everybody else in the house.

Both kids are incredibly fit and test at between 5 and 7 no matter the time or what they have eaten. So I'm just subtly bringing the family carb level down for them and extolling the lc benefits.

The wife on the other hand could hit 8.2. That was a peak after we ate the same meal I hit a mighty 6.2 although from a lower pre figure. She hasn't gone completely lchf but is eating the same as me now .

She hasn't had a 1c but I would bet on it being elevated. Her sugar was coming down after 2hrs. Her morning numbers are already dropping and we haven't had any un explained spikes or strangeness.

Looks like we may have dodged a bullet as she felt fine, she was tired in the evening but she was putting that down to "the change" .

Be well everyone.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The wife on the other hand could hit 8.2. That was a peak after we ate the same meal I hit a mighty 6.2 although from a lower pre figure.

That is perfectly normal in T0s. BG isn't static. It constantly moves. After a meal, the bloodstream is a transport network which distributes glucose around the body. It would be more of a worry if it didn't rise.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr. Bluetit hit 10.2 an hour after a large carby meal. (home made meat & spud pie, gravy, rice pudding, biscuit) Dropped to 8 by two hours, then 5.4 at bedtime. (He started at 4.7 before eating) His HbA1c's are always in the 30's and he has no diabetes symptoms whatsoever.

Reactions: snidge

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Mr. Bluetit hit 10.2 an hour after a large carby meal. (home made meat & spud pie, gravy, rice pudding, biscuit) Dropped to 8 by two hours, then 5.4 at bedtime. (He started at 4.7 before eating) His HbA1c's are always in the 30's and he has no diabetes symptoms whatsoever.

Sorry I think that view is wrong. I have seen more than enough evidence now to see that eating less carb is better for you full stop.
This whole site promotes that view.

To get an I'm alright so your OK answer when my wife is noticeably less tired. More energetic in herself and visibly happier to the point people are asking her what's perked her up.

The only change was cutting carbs. Not out entirely like I have all but. She has just cut down.

On their mothers experience the kids are starting to come round as well and the chocolate and other junk is being swapped for better options.

I even have mates at work changing. When they had seen I was down 2 stone with eggs and bacon every morning they have come round to it too.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Lucky Mr Bluetit, his meal sounds blooming scrumptious. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I think that view is wrong. I have seen more than enough evidence now to see that eating less carb is better for you full stop.
This whole site promotes that view.

To get an I'm alright so your OK answer when my wife is noticeably less tired. More energetic in herself and visibly happier to the point people are asking her what's perked her up.

The only change was cutting carbs. Not out entirely like I have all but. She has just cut down.

On their mothers experience the kids are starting to come round as well and the chocolate and other junk is being swapped for better options.

I even have mates at work changing. When they had seen I was down 2 stone with eggs and bacon every morning they have come round to it too.

Hi there, I think we would all agree that fewer carbs (especially the rubbish ones) are beneficial to most people. Bluetit was referring to MR Bluetit (her other half) who ate that meal and is clearly not diabetic, that is not a 'wrong viewpoint', it is a fact. For diabetics, most of us feel that carbs are not good for us because we cannot process them correctly, your wife would seem to be able to as a non diabetic but is clearly feeling better for reducing them. I would think ANY person cutting out sweets and other junk, diabetic or not would definitely benefit from your family's regime.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hi there, I think we would all agree that fewer carbs (especially the rubbish ones) are beneficial to most people. Bluetit was referring to MR Bluetit (her other half) who ate that meal and is clearly not diabetic, that is not a 'wrong viewpoint', it is a fact. For diabetics, most of us feel that carbs are not good for us because we cannot process them correctly, your wife would seem to be able to as a non diabetic but is clearly feeling better for reducing them. I would think ANY person cutting out sweets and other junk, diabetic or not would definitely benefit from your family's regime.

Fair comment. But is it not the now recognised route to t2, not moderating your carbs and forcing your system to deal with the sugar.
My wife may well be one of the lucky ones who never have to worry. Her odds are even better now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair comment. But is it not the now recognised route to t2, not moderating your carbs and forcing your system to deal with the sugar.
My wife may well be one of the lucky ones who never have to worry. Her odds are even better now.

I was indeed talking about my non-diabetic husband. I was merely trying to point out that a truly non-diabetic can spike to double figures after a carby meal. Worry not about him becoming diabetic. I keep my beady eye on him and he has annual MOT checks (he is 73) He takes no medications, has no metabolic syndrome issues, normal BP, normal cholesterol, normal kidney and liver functions, and carries no excess weight round his middle.

Thanks @KK123 for clarifying that. :)

Reactions: Daphne917