Metformin

Araminta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was given metformin 1000 m/s. I had tummy pains and felt a bit sick , but then the nurse doubled the dose, 2000m/ then my symptoms increased, now really I started to feel very sick, and had stomach pains, And runs to the bathroom increased, BUT I had not connected it to these tablets, then pain got even worse and being sick at least once or twice a week, increased toilet trips too! I was told by the nurse you take thyroxine daily so why not take metformin! I just happened to notice something I passed one day, and my daughter said put the tablet overnight in a glass with lemon, I did , and yes it was the same, I stopped the tablets ,and the violent pain went, it was so bad at times I thought I would need A and E , I suffered for over two years, Now I control my diabetics , I was a vegetarian now I am a vegan, my results are all fine, so medical people please stop wasting NHS money and causing misery to so many people, think food before tablets, I thought I had stomach cancer so lived with that fear for over two years,
victoria (a pensioner)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am glad that your choice of diet has worked for you and that you found that the cause of your tummy problems became clear to you. I was lucky, Metformin did not have that effect on me and I chose a diet which is working for me. It just goes to show just how individual we are.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had five weeks of total misery with Metformin and a statin - and I didn't really need them in the first place.

Reactions: Concordjan

DaveXF

Even prolonged release can go through me like a rat down a drainpipe.
I've now dropped my dosage to 1000mg from 2000mg per day
Bloods have dropped from 6 and 7's random to 4's and 5's... though I suspect that bare naked noodles are helping.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t think it is right for you to suggest that Drs should never prescribe Metformin, it is a very cheap and very helpful drug for a lot of Type 2s. I have taken it for 18 months, I did have a little bit of stomach upset for the first week but have been fine ever since. I think Drs should warn people that it may upset their stomach but no one should have to suffer for two years, we’re you ever offered the slow release version during those two years?
I too attribute the main part of my diabetes control to diet but am happy to continue the Metformin alongside and save the NHS the much bigger cost of treating complications in the future.

D

Deleted member 308541

I don’t think it is right for you to suggest that Drs should never prescribe Metformin, it is a very cheap and very helpful drug for a lot of Type 2s.
I have to agree with this.
I think Drs should warn people that it may upset their stomach but no one should have to suffer for two years,
My GP warned me that I could get the scours from them If I took the fast acting Metformin, so he put me on extended release to start with

The extended release were in short supply here at one time so was taking the fast acting version with no ill effect.

I would not be putting up with the scours for a week let alone two years.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The solution is nearly always to have Slow Release Metformin (SR) but NICE does not recommend this as the initial treatment as the pills cost just a little more

D

Deleted member 308541

The solution is nearly always to have Slow Release Metformin (SR) but NICE does not recommend this as the initial treatment as the pills cost just a little more
The PBS price at my pharmacy for them are:

Metformin APO (Diabex/Diaformin) 1000mg 90 Tabs $9.99
Metformin APO (Diabex/Diaformin/Formet) 500mg 100 Tabs $7.50
Metformin XR BTC (Diabex XR) 500mg 120 Tabs $8.50

I pay $6.40 each for both 500mg sizes, it would be the same for the 1000mg ones as well with my concession card.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on metformin for 10 years and never had any problems - in fact I'm very regular

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The PBS price at my pharmacy for them are:

Metformin APO (Diabex/Diaformin) 1000mg 90 Tabs $9.99
Metformin APO (Diabex/Diaformin/Formet) 500mg 100 Tabs $7.50
Metformin XR BTC (Diabex XR) 500mg 120 Tabs $8.50

I pay $6.40 each for both 500mg sizes, it would be the same for the 1000mg ones as well with my concession card.
Interesting. I don't agree with NICE (in the UK) not supporting Metformin SR more readily. As you suggest it does cost a little more in some countries and in the UK but so many are affected by the vanilla version and have to go back to the GP (at a cost to the NHS) it seems like false economy.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wish I could get metformin. I need it to combat IR so that I can lose weight. I am constantly told to lose weight but I need metformin for this to happen. 2 years ago I ate badly to force my HbA1c back up to 50 so that I could get another year's worth. I have used it alongside IF, OMAD, walking and keto. Metformin is the extra ingredient that makes these tools work for me for weight loss, yet I am denied it unless I go back to have diabetic HbA1cs again. So frustrating.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In rough terms 3 out of 4 people can reasonably tolerate Metformin up to the current recommended max dose of 2g a day. Of the 1 in four that cannot, about half of these can tolerate the slow release variations.

The cheapest standard Metformin 500mg tablets are 87p for 28, whereas the same number of modified / extended release types are currently around £2.50-ish. This difference means that the MR/XR tablets are only prescribed in people that have suffered with the ordinary,

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In rough terms 3 out of 4 people can reasonably tolerate Metformin up to the current recommended max dose of 2g a day. Of the 1 in four that cannot, about half of these can tolerate the slow release variations.

The cheapest standard Metformin 500mg tablets are 87p for 28, whereas the same number of modified / extended release types are currently around £2.50-ish. This difference means that the MR/XR tablets are only prescribed in people that have suffered with the ordinary,
Thanks so much for this info, it gives me a bit more ammunition when I have my diabetic review next week.

Lancers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day time television
I was given metformin 1000 m/s. I had tummy pains and felt a bit sick , but then the nurse doubled the dose, 2000m/ then my symptoms increased, now really I started to feel very sick, and had stomach pains, And runs to the bathroom increased, BUT I had not connected it to these tablets, then pain got even worse and being sick at least once or twice a week, increased toilet trips too! I was told by the nurse you take thyroxine daily so why not take metformin! I just happened to notice something I passed one day, and my daughter said put the tablet overnight in a glass with lemon, I did , and yes it was the same, I stopped the tablets ,and the violent pain went, it was so bad at times I thought I would need A and E , I suffered for over two years, Now I control my diabetics , I was a vegetarian now I am a vegan, my results are all fine, so medical people please stop wasting NHS money and causing misery to so many people, think food before tablets, I thought I had stomach cancer so lived with that fear for over two years,
victoria (a pensioner)
I am 72 have been diagnosed with type 2 for 6 years I recently had a similar time to you now back to 1000 m/s and feeling better. I am totally confused about my medication and diet. When you have other chronic conditions it's a midfield. Glad your health has improved.

lindisfel

Expert
That's a daft policy on the part of the medical people.
I ask my doctor about Metformin recently cos my hba1c had gone up to 46 only to be told I couldn't have it because I was only prediabetic.
I found it hard to believe but I can understand your approach Zand.
ATB
Derek

I just wish I could get metformin. I need it to combat IR so that I can lose weight. I am constantly told to lose weight but I need metformin for this to happen. 2 years ago I ate badly to force my HbA1c back up to 50 so that I could get another year's worth. I have used it alongside IF, OMAD, walking and keto. Metformin is the extra ingredient that makes these tools work for me for weight loss, yet I am denied it unless I go back to have diabetic HbA1cs again. So frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

Araminta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am 72 have been diagnosed with type 2 for 6 years I recently had a similar time to you now back to 1000 m/s and feeling better. I am totally confused about my medication and diet. When you have other chronic conditions it's a midfield. Glad your health has improved.
How nice of you to respond to my post, and I too do not understand, there is so much to know about this illness, so I am confused also, I like you have other health problems, I had the lower dose and coped but symptoms appeared, but the higher dose was lethal, all my numbers are down and no medication, stopped statins also, and that is why I suggested diet before tablets maybe, thank you

Reactions: Lancers

Araminta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's a daft policy on the part of the medical people.
I ask my doctor about Metformin recently cos my hba1c had gone up to 46 only to be told I couldn't have it because I was only prediabetic.
I found it hard to believe but I can understand your approach Zand.
ATB
Derek
I don’t think it is right for you to suggest that Drs should never prescribe Metformin, it is a very cheap and very helpful drug for a lot of Type 2s. I have taken it for 18 months, I did have a little bit of stomach upset for the first week but have been fine ever since. I think Drs should warn people that it may upset their stomach but no one should have to suffer for two years, we’re you ever offered the slow release version during those two years?
I too attribute the main part of my diabetes control to diet but am happy to continue the Metformin alongside and save the NHS the much bigger cost of treating complications in the future.
hi, I did not say doctors should never give metformin, BUT I was not told of any problems , only told you take thyroxine daily so what's the problem! I never heard of slow release until someone here mentioned it, and I am pleased for anyone who takes medication that makes them feel better, however maybe a vegan diet could give the same results, worth a thought? But lovely to hear you are doing well, it is such a huge illness there is so much to learn, l realise I do not know very much,
I think actually I am part to blame for the problems as when I spoke to the doctor, I was told no time , one thing at a time, then come back, well I had shoulder pain agony , so after three visits , and finally X-ray, and injections, ( rotar cuff disease, ) then the doctor left, and I did not want to make a fuss, like most people you think tomorrow will be better! enjoying reading comments on this site though, so thank you, and good luck.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't advised about any potential problems with metformin either, thankfully I already knew because I had read about it on this forum. It would have been an awful shock if I hadn't already been warned.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
hi, I did not say doctors should never give metformin, BUT I was not told of any problems , only told you take thyroxine daily so what's the problem! I never heard of slow release until someone here mentioned it, and I am pleased for anyone who takes medication that makes them feel better, however maybe a vegan diet could give the same results, worth a thought? But lovely to hear you are doing well, it is such a huge illness there is so much to learn, l realise I do not know very much,
I think actually I am part to blame for the problems as when I spoke to the doctor, I was told no time , one thing at a time, then come back, well I had shoulder pain agony , so after three visits , and finally X-ray, and injections, ( rotar cuff disease, ) then the doctor left, and I did not want to make a fuss, like most people you think tomorrow will be better! enjoying reading comments on this site though, so thank you, and good luck.

You state the possibility that a vegan diet may acheive the same results without the use of Metformin but veganism is just one approach that may work. There are other dietary approaches that work having the same results i.e people may be able to stop using Metformin or may see positive results before even being prescribed the drug. This is my own personal opinion but if on a vegan diet I am forced to look at taking supplements that is little different to taking a proprietary drug.

I have taken Metformin since diagnosis and have had no problems with it at all. As my A1c improved (with LCHF plus Met) my dosage was lowered. Having said that, I have made a conscious decision to stop taking the drug by the end of the year, I will be looking carefully at the changes, if any, that occur and I may then rethink my decision. The reason I plan to do this is because I wish to reduce the number of medications I take overall and/or reduce dosages. I would not wish to replace those drugs with supplements.

DaveXF

The thing with metformin is that it's the go to drug in the USA for all manner of conditions or as a preventative measure.
It's just a shame that it can throw your digestive system inside out.