Sainsbury jumps onto the bandwagon,

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBPNRx6?m=en-gb&referrerID=InAppShare
This tied in with a discussion going on in another thread, but which hijacked it away from the vegetarian topics, so I am making it a general observation for all to chew on.

So, I rang Sainsburys. They said I could have a trial of their crickets, or 'test' as they called it.
I could have six deliveries, then it would be over.
My supply would last up to five days.
As a side effect I might end up with long legs.
I asked if all their crickets had short legs. They said that was a silly point.
Apparently all deliveries may contain bat. If true, I think I'll have to boycott their stores
Geoff (not Boycott)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I rang Sainsburys. They said I could have a trial of their crickets, or 'test' as they called it.
I could have six deliveries, then it would be over.
My supply would last up to five days.
As a side effect I might end up with long legs.
I asked if all their crickets had short legs. They said that was a silly point.
Apparently all deliveries may contain bat. If true, I think I'll have to boycott their stores
Geoff (not Boycott)
Barmy I can deal with, Batty is a flight of fancy too far.

samochod

In theory switching from traditional animal products to insects is great for the environment and is a source of protein that's great for the poor. However, the cost and manufacture of putting the infrastructure in place to breed the quantities of inverts to western health and hygiene standards will be eyewatering. The cost to consumers will be massively disproportionate to those in Asia. A 2p per litre rise in fuel duty somehow equates to 13p on every cucumber so imagine how the producers would recoup their initial investments if they had to revolutionise the farming sector.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In theory switching from traditional animal products to insects is great for the environment and is a source of protein that's great for the poor. However, the cost and manufacture of putting the infrastructure in place to breed the quantities of inverts to western health and hygiene standards will be eyewatering. The cost to consumers will be massively disproportionate to those in Asia. A 2p per litre rise in fuel duty somehow equates to 13p on every cucumber so imagine how the producers would recoup their initial investments if they had to revolutionise the farming sector.
Slime and algae much easier to cultivate industrially but low in protein methinks. Maybe feed the inverts with algae to reduce costs, and get a biofuel with the leftovers?

Reactions: samochod

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A thought has struck me on the question of mass production which may be daft but let's see...
Farmed salmon tend to need treating with antibiotics because they're kept in unaturally close quarters.
What would farmed crickets end up being fed on? Some commercially produced feed, no doubt.

Whatever the answer, I hate BBQ flavour so I'll pass!

Edit to clarify.

What is known about the risks of keeping millions of one (or multiple) species in close confinement?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Paniki_Rica_Cabai_Hijau.JPG
Barmy I can deal with, Batty is a flight of fancy too far.
Paniki prepared with fruit bat meat cooked in spicy rica green chili pepper. An exotic Manado (Minahasan) dish. Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.

Looks really appetizing doesn't it

samochod

A thought has struck me on the question of mass production which may be daft but let's see...
Farmed salmon tend to need treating with antibiotics because they're kept in unaturally close quarters.
What would farmed crickets end up being fed on? Some commercially produced feed, no doubt.

Whatever the answer, I hate BBQ flavour so I'll pass!

Edit to clarify.

What is known about the risks of keeping millions of one (or multiple) species in close confinement?
When being bred as feeders for birds or reptiles they are generally bred between layers of card/other cheap dry and layered material. Their water comes from their food which is generally veg or small amounts of fruit matter. The trouble on the scale we're talking about is ensuring that they don't start consuming rotting material before it's spotted and switched out. Then there's splitting them from their waste. There'll no doubt be an acceptable invert to waste ratio decided that we'd rather not know about. The exoskeleton means that it would be next to impossible to tell that the flesh is rotten so they would either need to be sold live or else freshly killed to order or dried which means we'll be being fed human kibbles or using them as protein powders in otherwise vegetarian meals.

I'm an adventurous person and I'll try them out of curiosity, but I for one am glad that this will probably be an other generation's burden.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When being bred as feeders for birds or reptiles they are generally bred between layers of card/other cheap dry and layered material. Their water comes from their food which is generally veg or small amounts of fruit matter. The trouble on the scale we're talking about is ensuring that they don't start consuming rotting material before it's spotted and switched out. Then there's splitting them from their waste. There'll no doubt be an acceptable invert to waste ratio decided that we'd rather not know about. The exoskeleton means that it would be next to impossible to tell that the flesh is rotten so they would either need to be sold live or else freshly killed to order or dried which means we'll be being fed human kibbles or using them as protein powders in otherwise vegetarian meals.

I'm an adventurous person and I'll try them out of curiosity, but I for one am glad that this will probably be an other generation's burden.

Thank you... I think :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
View attachment 29605
Paniki prepared with fruit bat meat cooked in spicy rica green chili pepper. An exotic Manado (Minahasan) dish. Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.

Not massively different to a bony fish, to my eye. I did try squirrel back in my meat eating days, had a horrible, musky flavour - basically like how you’d expect a rat to taste. And that was in a vindaloo sauce... too forever to get the meat off the bones too.

D

Deleted member 308541

I will stick with eating Wichety grubs with my black (#000000) friends, they are nice lightly toasted or eaten raw.

No bony bits to get stuck in my teeth with them.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi John,
You missed out on witchetty grubs!
Edit: I see Tipetoo mentioned them as well.

My eldest, when at junior school used to have this revolting ryhme about eating worms, because every body hated her (not really). One line was that the big fat hairy one's stick and that was what made you sick!

I never got further than eating bee spit and that is too high in sugar for me now. I never thought of it as bee spit until Compo mentioned it once.

It is all very cultural. Some said Scott would not dream of eating dogs, but was ok with horses. Ironic if he froze to death because he would not eat dogs?

D.

View attachment 29605

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Smokey BBQ Crickets are 51.8% carbohydrate. In a 9gm bag not such a problem. I'm still not tempted, I'm told that bits of wing get stuck between your teeth.
I’d have to insulinate for that. I imagine in a bbq marinade that’s 4.5g pure sugar, and I only take 3-6g for a hypo.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d have to insulinate for that. I imagine in a bbq marinade that’s 4.5g pure sugar, and I only take 3-6g for a hypo.

Oddly, I was reading this thread & thinking, an alternative to pork scratchings..

Yep, the BBQ flavouring.. Don't take a lot for me to fix a low.. About 5 maybe 10gs before going over the top... (Pending on wheather basal or bolus is causing it?)

I'll try anything once, me.. Tempted to look em up in the bug isle when doing the weekly shop, tomorrow...

D

Deleted member 308541

The bats that fly in the UK are a protected species and not for consumption.
They are protected here as well, as all Australian fauna is, they completely destroy orchards if they are not fully netted correctly.

The colonies of bats get moved on after a while, high pressure hoses and loud noise during the day annoys their ugly sleep.

Here's a article from the Australian edition of the Guardian about the mongrels.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-taste-it-bats-plague-australian-tourist-town

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
According to the United Nations there are approximately 1,462 species of recorded edible insects. That said, avoid eating brightly coloured, hairy or prickly insects and most caterpillars as they may all be poisonous. However, if you do find yourself in a survival situation remember these words: ‘Red, orange or yellow forget this fellow. Black, green or brown wolf it down’.

Cricket Kofta Patties

Vegetables – one onion, one carrot, two sticks of celery, six mushrooms, one clove of garlic, half courgette, six mint leaves, a small sprig of parsley and one red chilli (optional)
Spices- two teaspoons ground coriander, one teaspoon ground cumin, one teaspoon paprika, one teaspoon za’atar and one teaspoon harissa paste (found in most health food shops and also optional), half teaspoon turmeric, half teaspoon thyme, quarter teaspoon cinnamon, two teaspoons white pepper, one teaspoon sea salt
Six slices of brown bread made into breadcrumbs
Two eggs, beaten
Fifty five grams Crunchy Critters mealworms or crickets (or a mix of each)
Sunflower oil (for frying)
Preparation Method:

1. Check the crickets (if using) for any legs and remove as these are a bit unpalatable – the odd one or two won’t hurt! Place forty five grams of the critters into a food blender and pulse for two seconds at a time until a finely chopped consistency is achieved. Place into a large mixing bowl along with the bread crumbs and mix.

2. In the same food blender (no need to wash) place all the vegetables and fresh herbs and process until finely chopped but not puréed!

3. Heat a large frying pan and over a low heat fry the vegetable mixture stirring regularly for about five minutes. Add the spices and continue to cook for another five minutes stirring regularly. Allow to cool until cold enough to handle.

4. When the mixture is cool enough to handle scrape into the mixing bowl along with the insects and breadcrumbs, using a wooden spoon or your hands. Mix until well combined.

5. Add the eggs and the last ten grams of insects into the pattie mix and stir well. When mixed form the patties with your hands into small burger sized portions about two-three centimetres thick place on an oiled tray.

6. Put the large frying pan back on a medium heat, wait five minutes to come to temperature, add a tablespoon of sunflower oil and carefully with a slotted fish slice add the patties, beware of the hot oil spitting! Fry for about four-five minutes until golden then carefully turn over and continue to fry for another five minutes until a nice, gold colour is achieved. They are now ready to eat.

Enjoy these in pitta bread or wrap with some crisp lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and some yoghurt, or whichever way you want!

Critter Burgers

Ingredients:

Vegetables – one onion, one stick of celery, one medium carrot, one small courgette, two medium/large mushrooms, one clove of garlic
One hundred grams breadcrumbs
Fifty five grams Crunchy Critters Mealworms
Fifty five grams Crunchy Critters Crickets
Twenty grams Crunchy Critters Garlic Chapulines
One teaspoon sea salt
One teaspoon ground black pepper
One tablespoon Dijon mustard
Two medium free range eggs, beaten
One teaspoon fresh parsley, oregano and/or thyme
Preparation Method:

Place all the vegetables and garlic into a food processor and pulse for around ten seconds until the contents are finely chopped but not pureed.
Stir fry the veg mix in a little olive oil for five minutes in a heavy bottomed pan.
Scrape the par-cooked veg into a large mixing bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs, seasoning, eggs and mustard. Return the empty pan to a low heat.
Put the insects into the food processor and pulse for no more than five seconds (hold back five to ten percent of the insects if you like to see whole insects in the burger). Put the pulsed insects (and whole insects if using) into the vegetable mix and using your hands combine well.
Using your hands press the bug burger mix into even sized patties about three centimetres thick and place onto a tray with a little flour. Be sure to press the burger well, so there are no folds or cracks.
Splash a little more oil into the hot pan and fry the burgers for three minutes each side or until golden brown in colour, turn down the heat on the pan and cook for a further four minutes until hot in the middle (seventy five degrees celsius).
Enjoy your Critter Burgers in a bun with some fresh tzatziki or mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato and a bowl of chips or wedges.
Top Tip: For a spicy treat try replacing the Garlic Chapulines with Chilli Chapulines and add a fresh chilli or two at stage one.

Ant-y-Cheese Biscuits
Ingredients:

One hundred and fifty grams plain flour
One hundred and twenty-five grams unsalted butter
Thirty-five grams grated Parmesan cheese
Thirty grams grated mature cheddar cheese
Sixteen grams Crunchy Critters Queen Leafcutter Ants (two packets)
Half teaspoon of salt
Preparation Method:

Add the flour, butter, Parmesan, cheddar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and use the pulse button to process until the mixture begins to come together and is evenly combined.
Add the ants into the combined mixture and gently stir in.
Bring the dough together with your hands and roll into a log about 4 cm in diameter.
Wrap it in cling film and place it in the fridge to chill for 30-45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
After cooling take out of the fridge, remove cling film and cut the log into 5 mm thick slices, before placing slices on to a greased baking tray.
Bake in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes or until pale golden and cooked through.

https://www.crunchycritters.com

lindisfel

Expert
And to think years ago when I used to eat Alpen I complained to the supplier because I found a dead Ladybird in one packet. I was rewarded with a new packet, I would have better eating the Ladybird.
If it had been upside down in my dish I would not have noticed and thought it was a crunchy bit!