Training after 14 years of having it

MrCuddlyMoses

Never offered any training, since 2004 now my new GP of a year said that I could do with training but I can not because of the time since I was diagnosed. Is there any other way to have access to training like dafnea or Desmond sorry for the spelling.
Any help would ne great thanks

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE and DESMOND are different courses for different types of diabetes.
I can only speak for DAFNE which is for T1 diabetes.
There is no time limit to when you can attend a course, some people are sent on the course for a second time to refresh them on how the course works.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never offered any training, since 2004 now my new GP of a year said that I could do with training but I can not because of the time since I was diagnosed. Is there any other way to have access to training like dafnea or Desmond sorry for the spelling.
Any help would ne great thanks

Yeah I recently got sent on a CHOICE course (that's West Berkshires version of DAFNE) and I was diagnosed in 1977!
No time limit - but again that's a course for T1's

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a scheme called Exercise On Referral in which your GP prescribes subsidised exercise at the local gym.
If you go to your local leisure centre they should be able to tell you if that kind of scheme is available to you.
What is stopping you getting going by yourself? I am posting a link here to a great 'kitchen workout' by Dr Ronan Chatterjee:
That's the muscles covered! Can you walk or swim or run up a flight of stairs. yes, then that's the heart trained too...
FYi ParkRun now encourage diabetics to come and walk around the 5k route (ParkRun Prove). It is free and again, you don't need to run !

MrCuddlyMoses

There is a scheme called Exercise On Referral in which your GP prescribes subsidised exercise at the local gym.
If you go to your local leisure centre they should be able to tell you if that kind of scheme is available to you.
What is stopping you getting going by yourself? I am posting a link here to a great 'kitchen workout' by Dr Ronan Chatterjee:
That's the muscles covered! Can you walk or swim or run up a flight of stairs. yes, then that's the heart trained too...
FYi ParkRun now encourage diabetics to come and walk around the 5k route (ParkRun Prove). It is free and again, you don't need to run !
I'm unable to walk very far and use a walking stick

MrCuddlyMoses

Yeah I recently got sent on a CHOICE course (that's West Berkshires version of DAFNE) and I was diagnosed in 1977!
No time limit - but again that's a course for T1's
Here in Somerset they are saying that there is a time limit but will speak to my consultant about it

MrCuddlyMoses

DAFNE and DESMOND are different courses for different types of diabetes.
I can only speak for DAFNE which is for T1 diabetes.
There is no time limit to when you can attend a course, some people are sent on the course for a second time to refresh them on how the course works.
In Somerset they say there is :-(

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm unable to walk very far and use a walking stick
I would start with what you can manage even if that is just up to the first lamp post on your street and back again. If you did get to a gym using a light resistance bike for up to 20 minutes would be enough. There are also chair based workouts and you can use a couple of cans for weights. But if you are not confident then a trainer at your local gym could get you started. Best of luck! As the link below says No Mattter How Slow You Go You are Still Lapping Everyone On The Couch...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I am posting about exercise when I think you mean diabetes training. Sorry and hope you find a suitable course as you are entitled to it but its a local lottery as to what if anything is provided.