Targets for preconception

JV1981

Hi everyone, I'm a type 2 (well, they think I might not be but that's a story for another day) but started insulin therapy two weeks ago to try and get my glucose readings down into preconception range.

Today I've finally started hitting the right numbers consistently but my question is my hba1c will obviously show my higher readings from pre insulin therapy. Does this mean I have to wait until I have 8-12 weeks of good readings before I'll be "allowed" to try to conceive?

Any advice gratefully received

J
xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Technically they can't stop you trying. But it is better for baby if you can be in range.

Last edited:

JV1981

Technically they can't stop you trying. But it is better for any if you can be in range.
Thanks for replying :) my day to day blood glucose is in the right range now but my hba1c won’t reflect this when it’s tested next Friday as it was higher last week (and the week before) so do you think I need to wait til the hba1c is in the right range? Which I think would mean waiting 8-12 weeks?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If your numbers are looking good you could Skype for one in a month to see if the reduction is sufficient.
But is 3 months really that long when a baby's health is concerned? I don't know how old you are in asking that.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My pre-conception clinic suggested a blood test once a month to make sure I was I was in the right place whilst trying to conceive- so I am still having monthly Hba1c tests. They recommend a Hba1c of 48 or below, although I have had a consultant who was happy with my to conceive when my levels were 58-60.

The first month like you, I had lots of insulin resistance/erratic levels and my first Hba1c didn't budge much. There was a more noticable drop the month after and after that..

Like @Diakat said- they can't stop you from trying. There are some ladies on this forum, who have conceived with higher levels and ave had healthy babies- others have echoed some of the risks I have read about.

Are you with a diabetes pre-conception clinic? Or have you got a nurse you can speak to/support you to bring your levels down? Especially if you have just been put on insulin.

All the best x

Reactions: Diakat

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for replying :) my day to day blood glucose is in the right range now but my hba1c won’t reflect this when it’s tested next Friday as it was higher last week (and the week before) so do you think I need to wait til the hba1c is in the right range? Which I think would mean waiting 8-12 weeks?

You could ask for a fructosamine test, which reflects the last 2-3 weeks of blood sugars.

JV1981

My pre-conception clinic suggested a blood test once a month to make sure I was I was in the right place whilst trying to conceive- so I am still having monthly Hba1c tests. They recommend a Hba1c of 48 or below, although I have had a consultant who was happy with my to conceive when my levels were 58-60.

The first month like you, I had lots of insulin resistance/erratic levels and my first Hba1c didn't budge much. There was a more noticable drop the month after and after that..

Like @Diakat said- they can't stop you from trying. There are some ladies on this forum, who have conceived with higher levels and ave had healthy babies- others have echoed some of the risks I have read about.

Are you with a diabetes pre-conception clinic? Or have you got a nurse you can speak to/support you to bring your levels down? Especially if you have just been put on insulin.

All the best x
Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm lucky enough to see the preconception team fortnightly at the moment and they'll do my hba1c fortnightly too. Time is not on my side I'm almost 38 so I need to get on with getting the levels down.

I think I just need to keep plodding along but its very frustrating just now.

I wouldn't consider stopping contraception until I got the green light from the team, need to be in the best possible health I think.

xx

Reactions: CranberryIce