DKA

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is nothing stopping someone with type2 also getting type1 (comfirmed antibodies). Hence having prediabetes does not stop type1.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Following stabilisation at A&E, they then look into what type they think you are based on a variety of reasons.

I've been really surprised by the number of threads asking about docs not being sure about whether it's T1 or T2. I thought it was a binary situation, but seems not.

I didn't leave them much doubt, although they still got it wrong initially.

I'd been feeling more and more wabbit going through my final exams for a post-grad diploma (the examiner followed me after I went to the toilet for the 5th time during the conveyancing exam, thinking I'd hidden books in the cistern!).

My dad picked me up at the end of it, says he's taking to me hospital right now. The A&E doc said it was exam stress and a touch of thrush in my throat, sent me home.

The parents popped their heads in before they went to work the next day, I was unconscious, full on end stage DKA, got bluelighted to hospital.

I don't remember any of this because I was unconscious for about a day, but my sister told me later that she'd phoned in for a report and was told, "the doctors reckon he won't wake up."

A family friend worked at the hospital, and told me that the A&E doc got an absolute bollocking from the diabetes consultant for missing the most obvious case ever of T1 - she was only half joking when she said he needed some emergency treatment after it!.

Anyway, I spent a few days in hospital being tended to by a lovely young Italian nurse, not a bad gig for a 21 yr old after exams, and the more elderly Sister Carmichael, who told me a lot about digestive biscuits and old school "carb exchanges" and filled me with confidence, and one of the younger docs who had treated me on admission said to me, "thanks, Scott, I'd only ever read about Kussmaul breathing in books, so it was interesting actually seeing it."

I wonder sometimes whether a T1 dx is easier to cope with psychologically when you've almost died, instead of just seeing a gp when feeling a bit under the weather.

Having almost died through DKA, the idea of life long injections really didn't freak me out that much, I'd much rather that compared to how I felt for those few weeks. If I'd been dx'd while just feeling a bit wabbit, I might have taken a different view.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been really surprised by the number of threads asking about docs not being sure about whether it's T1 or T2. I thought it was a binary situation, but seems not.

I didn't leave them much doubt, although they still got it wrong initially.

I'd been feeling more and more wabbit going through my final exams for a post-grad diploma (the examiner followed me after I went to the toilet for the 5th time during the conveyancing exam, thinking I'd hidden books in the cistern!).

My dad picked me up at the end of it, says he's taking to me hospital right now. The A&E doc said it was exam stress and a touch of thrush in my throat, sent me home.

The parents popped their heads in before they went to work the next day, I was unconscious, full on end stage DKA, got bluelighted to hospital.

I don't remember any of this because I was unconscious for about a day, but my sister told me later that she'd phoned in for a report and was told, "the doctors reckon he won't wake up."

A family friend worked at the hospital, and told me that the A&E doc got an absolute bollocking from the diabetes consultant for missing the most obvious case ever of T1 - she was only half joking when she said he needed some emergency treatment after it!.

Anyway, I spent a few days in hospital being tended to by a lovely young Italian nurse, not a bad gig for a 21 yr old after exams, and the more elderly Sister Carmichael, who told me a lot about digestive biscuits and old school "carb exchanges" and filled me with confidence, and one of the younger docs who had treated me on admission said to me, "thanks, Scott, I'd only ever read about Kussmaul breathing in books, so it was interesting actually seeing it."

I wonder sometimes whether a T1 dx is easier to cope with psychologically when you've almost died, instead of just seeing a gp when feeling a bit under the weather.

Having almost died through DKA, the idea of life long injections really didn't freak me out that much, I'd much rather that compared to how I felt for those few weeks. If I'd been dx'd while just feeling a bit wabbit, I might have taken a different view.

Glad you made it Scott! Your post reminds me of a couple of others I have seen recently where posters who have not yet even been seen by a Dr, describe symptoms of high glucose levels and ketones. They mostly get advised to 'go low carb', 'ketones are good' which of course is good advice for a low carbing type 2 (although I know they can get DKA too) but possibly deadly for someone who may be going into DKA without realising it. I was rushed off to hospital straight from the Dr's surgery when she happened to say, oh, let me just check your ketones. I felt absolutely fine but at the hospital they said I was on the verge of DKA which can come on really fast. :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
felt absolutely fine but at the hospital they said I was on the verge of DKA which can come on really fast.

Yeah, that's true, I'd been limping along for a few weeks, thinking, ok, I'm ill, maybe it'll go away (pre-internet days 30 yrs ago so I couldn't google it), I'll go see a doc once the exams are out of the way, and then in the space of 24 hours or so it just accelerated rapidly from being a bit wobbly to being on life support.

My arms had so many bruises they looked like a truck had driven over them - blood pressure had collapsed, so they had to have dozens of tries at getting lines into me.

When anyone on this forum talks about "nutritional ketosis", I say f**k you, ketones almost killed me, I'm having that panini.

My main regret is that I didn't get the Italian nurse's phone number...

Last edited:
Reactions: mike@work

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, that's true, I'd been limping along for a few weeks, thinking, ok, I'm ill, maybe it'll go away (pre-internet days 30 yrs ago so I couldn't google it), I'll go see a doc once the exams are out of the way, and then in the space of 24 hours or so it just accelerated rapidly from being a bit wobbly to being on life support.

My arms had so many bruises they looked like a truck had driven over them - blood pressure had collapsed, so they had to have dozens of tries at getting lines into me.

When anyone on this forum talks about "nutritional ketosis", I say f**k you, ketones almost killed me, I'm having that panini.

But at least you had that barmaid to look forward to....;)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Love that comment :) Right on the edge, knocking on the Pearly gates. T1D sense of humor is brilliant. I applaud you :hilarious:

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Love that comment :) Right on the edge, knocking on the Pearly gates. T1D sense of humor is brilliant. I applaud you :hilarious:

She would probably also had made that panini for you, so maybe you have to regret two things, after all...:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

A very scary time for you. Hugs.