Just had an email with 'advice' about snacking from Patient Access

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This advice to T2s is downright dangerous. The better advice would be to eat enough protein and fat at meal times to avoid any necessity to snack or feel hungry. Snacking is not a good idea in the first place, it overworks the pancreas, with or without carbs. Add carbs to the mix and boom - all that circulating insulin causing untold damage.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can honestly say, the only time I snack is on a Sunday, whilst preparing the veg for our meal. My snack then tends to be a couple of Chantey carrots, or some cabbage stalks.

Curiously, during the week, nibbling just never even enters my mind.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was just reading that!
I’ve sent some feedback via their contact us!
“How can it possibly be right to recommend high carbohydrate (bread, teacakes, popcorn and noodles), high fructose (bananas) and high sugar (maple syrup) products as snacks for Type 2 diabetics? Then mushing up fruit in a milkshake which hastens the absorption of the fructose, shooting blood sugar up rapidly. All of these products would raise my blood sugars (I am Type 2) above an acceptable level!”
Great reply!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to say I was shocked, it seems so out-dated but when my Dad was diagnosed (through being overweight) we went on a course at the hospital and they were saying to eat all this **** and I was in tears with the advisor afterwards after he was told to eat 'anything in moderation'. He went away and lost 4 stone but has put it all back on now. He isn't really diabetic, my husband is and he can't eat anything like this :-(

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have to say I was shocked, it seems so out-dated but when my Dad was diagnosed (through being overweight) we went on a course at the hospital and they were saying to eat all this **** and I was in tears with the advisor afterwards after he was told to eat 'anything in moderation'. He went away and lost 4 stone but has put it all back on now. He isn't really diabetic, my husband is and he can't eat anything like this :-(

As our favourite GP says "Telling people with T2 to eat moderate amounts of carbohydrates is moderately poisoning them". Snacking is unnecessary though it can be a hard habit to break but advising people to snack on very high carb (imo) foods defies logic.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think this maybe for problems using Patient Access, I may be wrong. I used this link:
https://patient.info/feedback
Hi - this was the address I got when I replied to their email so we'll see what happens, thanks, and use this if nowt comes of it. The Health Service need to start listening and get this information right!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Disgusting - not just carb advice but also the suggested snacks! They put me off food rather than appealing, perhaps that's the point.

Hotpepper20000

At first when I read it I though maybe there was something I didn’t know about how to handle blood sugar management for type 1.
But even for some one who doesn’t have type 1 or 2 this is awful advice.
Even before I was diagnosed I would have never eaten anything they suggested.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying very very hard not to swear at this article.............

It is so bad, on so many levels..........oh £%#<!^& ¬£|| !

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm trying very very hard not to swear at this article.............

It is so bad, on so many levels..........oh £%#<!^& ¬£|| !

Thanks for not giving me an ‘edit for profanity’ mod job! ;):joyful:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just ran a toasted teacake with a banananana and a tablespoon of maple syrup through MyFitnessPal.

86g carbs of which 42g sugar.

:banghead:

Reactions: ickihun