Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@brassyblonde900

Guess you didn’t see my typo correction then? Never mind.

I think you are missing my central point - that this is a one-off self test, for information, which will not therefore lead to worsening insulin resistance and a dire consequences. Numbers higher than ideal? That is up to the tester, not you, or me, or anyone else on this site.

It is ace that you keep tight control of your blood glucose. Lots of us around here do that. Many of us (some of us the same people) also do self tests using carbs, fasting, different protocols and dietary changes (I’m ‘doing’ carnivore this year).
Some people can’t do that. They may have all sorts of lifestyle, medical, medication (steroids, anyone?) reasons why they cannot hit low numbers. Plus there is a vast disparity between what our doctors think is OK and what many of the members here think is ok. And a greater disparity with what outliers like Bernstein think is OK.

Number shaming someone for posting higher than ideal numbers is not helpful.

Apologies to @xfieldok for talking about you on your own thread.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria be no need to apologize, my comment was tongue in cheek.

My point was that .2 difference in readings indicates that for me, reheating frozen roasties doesn't appear to make any difference.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria be no need to apologize, my comment was tongue in cheek.

My point was that .2 difference in readings indicates that for me, reheating frozen roasties doesn't appear to make any difference.

I found the same, when I ran some resistant starch experiments myself.
That was following a TV programme/‘study’ where they fed pasta to 2 groups, using freshly cooked or reheated pasta in tomato sauce.

My only conclusion (following my Pasta Test) was that there was no significant difference between the fresh and the reheated. Both might as well be kryptonite.

Of course there was one other factor - the tv study participants did not (at the time) have glucose dysregulation.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am happy to leave the potatoes until Christmas. Definitely worth soaking them first.

I did notice during the second day, following (the delicious) potatoes, I was slightly hungry for the rest of the day. Not had that feeling for a very long time.

Reactions: Brunneria
D

Deleted member 308541

That was following a TV programme/‘study’ where they fed pasta to 2 groups, using freshly cooked or reheated pasta in tomato sauce.
I followed the one on Micheal Moseley's show TMIAAD with reheated pasta, once I got the portion size of the pasta right I have acceptable (to me) readings after eating it with what ever sauce I am eating.

I do not use tomato sauce / paste, just plain old tinned tomato's when making the sauce.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@brassyblonde900

Guess you didn’t see my typo correction then? Never mind.
I think you are missing my central point - that this is a one-off self test, for information, which will not therefore lead to worsening insulin resistance and a dire consequences.
Numbers higher than ideal? That is up to the tester, not you, or me, or anyone else on this site..
And I agree with you 100%. I also agree that a one off test will neither lead to or make the condition worse.

@brassyblonde900is ace that you keep tight control of your blood glucose. Lots of us around here do that. Many of us (some of us the same people) also do self tests using carbs, fasting, different protocols and dietary changes (I’m ‘doing’ carnivore this year).
Some people can’t do that. They may have all sorts of lifestyle, medical, medication (steroids, anyone?) reasons why they cannot hit low numbers. Plus there is a vast disparity between what our doctors think is OK and what many of the members here think is ok. And a greater disparity with what outliers like Bernstein think is OK..
I will disagree with you on that score - mainly because what causes complications, the main reason for which a lot of people seek to control the condition, is the anecdotal evidence that keeping blood sugar at or very close to non diabetic levels, is the way to prevent and or reverse complications. For ages medical orthodoxy believed T2 diabetes was a condition that only got progressively worse.
Thanks to readily available information, and the ability to share that information, its now the norm that people with the diagnosis can and should be able to live out a normal life span, IF they are able to have control their Blood Sugar levels and by that I mean keeping it at normal, or near normal levels. This is to prevent the complications that are known to be associated with elevated BG levels.

@brassyblonde900
Number shaming someone for posting higher than ideal numbers is not helpful..
I agree with you 100%
My point is that I was not number shaming OP. (I understand shaming in this context to mean.....the action or practice of humiliating someone I have judged to have high BG values by making mocking or critical comments about their BG values) Edited to highlight some texts

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Speaking as the OP. It may (or not) be of interest, November 2017 DX 122. April 2018 35, August 2018 34, next result due Monday, mySugr estimates 38.

Please note for the record, I do not feel shamed or humiliated in any way. Do carry on, pretend I'm not here.......:)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Roasted Celeriac gorgeous, tastes just like Parsnips. Very low carb
"We" have neglected this veg, as well as swede, thanks even more variety. Must have been about a year ago that I made celeriac chips, gonna try a dig out the picture, as I photo most meals.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point is that I was not number shaming OP. (I understand shaming in this context to mean.....the action or practice of humiliating someone I have judged to have high BG values by making mocking or critical comments about their BG values) Edited to highlight some texts

We seem to be in agreement with a lot. :)

But I think we still disagree on what constitutes ‘criticism’.
Or maybe it is just that your post looked like criticism (to me), even if that was not your intention.
That is OK, and one of the perennial problems with written language.
Good job we are apparently in such broad agreement on other things. ;)

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does that mean you are happy with a meal/food that gives you 6.6 3hrs post prandial.
Having BGs that high over time will mean the IR will get progressively worse.
I wouldn't... for the simple reason that complications are still possible with those kind of BG levels.
Those numbers look good to me. What's the problem with a BG of 6.6mmol/L? Normal range is around 4-8mmol/L with temporary spikes above.

I'm not sure there's any definitive answers on the relationship between temporary spikes and complications, but continuous raised BGs do appear to be linked with adverse side effects.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
"We" have neglected this veg, as well as swede, thanks even more variety. Must have been about a year ago that I made celeriac chips, gonna try a dig out the picture, as I photo most meals.
No probs. I had never actually heard of this veg before being diagnosed Pre-Diabetes. Now I have always been a veg lover, yet cannot believe that I had never tried it. I had read about it and how it is low in carbs. I have used it for shepherds pie, Chipped them and roasted them. Swede I have heard is a bit hit and miss with some people. It seems to affect some people with their BSL and others can eat it. I have not tried to see if I can eat Swede or not, or Butternut Squash. I loved both of these vegs before being diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes. I will have to try them again. I have found out that I can eat Edamame Beans, just a few on a green salad, and my blood sugars after were 5.5 so that was exciting lol. Mashed Celeriac with garlic puree and grated cheese is very nice also.

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
my partner non diabetic has 6mmol after a meal.
I would be halpy if i was that too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, no problem for me (as well as carrots), "we" use the squash I would say 3 times a week; I am very lucky that my family genuinely do not want potatoes. This is the meal I was referring to, rustic cooking. The picture doesn't convey the flavours.

View attachment 29596
Had butternut squash roasties tonight but although they were very nice, they lacked the proper crusty outside that your's appear to have. Apart from the goose fat, do you have any tips about temperature or whatever that might help?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Had butternut squash roasties tonight but although they were very nice, they lacked the proper crusty outside that your's appear to have. Apart from the goose fat, do you have any tips about temperature or whatever that might help?
Ok, I asked the boss, what she does to get the finish. So she has the pre-heated oven at gas mark180 degrees. The squash is drizzled in olive oil, then placed into the oven. Then the squash is watched diligently to get the right side of caramelisation as opposed to burning.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those numbers look good to me. What's the problem with a BG of 6.6mmol/L? Normal range is around 4-8mmol/L with temporary spikes above.

I'm not sure there's any definitive answers on the relationship between temporary spikes and complications, but continuous raised BGs do appear to be linked with adverse side effects.

I will not knowingly eat any food/meal that takes my BG reading to that level 3hrs post prandial.
For me and most other Type2s, this condition is a consequence of not being able to use insulin as it was meant to by the body.
I am more interested in keeping my insulin levels as low as is humanly possible.
The chicken and egg situation of <<Insulin resistance - Hyperinsulinemia>> is what eventually leads to BG levels reaching a definitive threshold for a diagnosis of T2DM.
The body will do anything to maintain homeostasis.

That said, 6.6mmol is raised BG levels, for which the body will keep releasing insulin so as to lower the BG levels if it finds its at that level.
Being as its insulin that drives most of the pathology associated with this condition, I would not knowingly allow my BG to get to, or stay at a level, that will mean my already insulin resistant body, will have reason to keep releasing more insulin into my system to lower a BG level it perceives as not normal.
I am an adherent of Dr Richard Bernstein's protocol for diabetes control. I also agree with him that normal BG is 4.6mmol/l or very close. So for me that is my gold standard.

BTW I pay absolutely no attention to the NICE guidelines of what constitutes OK BG levels, and what to aim for vis-à-vis BG levels.
I aim for SAFE BG levels. So I look for what researchers and Scientists have through research and hard facts, pronounced BG levels that will mean no complications.