Crikey my Blood sugars is 17.1

matron1

Feeling nauseous all week, slept for most of the weekend. twice my blood sugars read 17.1. What the hell should I do beside seeing my GP tomorrow. This is the highest it has been.

blackcat79

Mine often is lots higher infact its 22.2 just now n im in tablets n insulin. Highest ive bn is 32.7 im type 2. If u keep getting highs go to GP n ask to be referred to diabetic clinic team. Good luck x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nausea could either be the cause of high BG or a symptom. Definitely get that GP appointment and get checked out. I hope you feel better soon!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Have you got a cold or virus? That can make control harder. What are your levels normally like?

And what have you been eating and drinking?

Good luck at the docs, let us know what happens

nannyani1

Mine was 20 with my first blood test, 23 a week later and my gp sent me to a first appointment with the diabetic nurse which was 4 weeks wait and told to go home and start my diet, no mention of what i should be eating or not eating on this diet. Three weeks later after cutting out sugar and sweet things I popped to tescos and had a prick test to see if my levels had dropped. The shock on the chemists face was a picture. My reading was 31.9! I was told that i needed to see a doctor within an hour and not to wait. So cutting a very long story short I ended up on a drip in hospital and going from possible type 2 to a full blown insulin using type 1. Im almost three months in and my levels are only just getting close to normal and am having hypos now and again. I have the best dsn in the word, im getting there at last. So dont worry , yes 17 is quite high but not unmanageble, u will get there. Take care of urself. Xx

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So dont worry , yes 17 is quite high but not unmanageble, u will get there. Take care of urself. Xx
How exactly do you go from "I had to be admitted to hospital and have IV insulin" to "You will be fine, don't worry"? If anything, your tale would make me think that he won't be fine without urgent medical intervention ("I ended up on a drip in hospital").

The simple fact is that the diagnostic process has ample room for patients to be misdiagnosed - unless it's a child, or a young adult in full blown DKA the doctor will assume that it's Type 2 and start you on diet and exercise or maybe Metformin that won't do a thing if you are actually type 1.
If you then develop high BG and symptoms of DKA then it needs to be taken seriously.

Daisy_Daisy

Mine was 20 with my first blood test, 23 a week later and my gp sent me to a first appointment with the diabetic nurse which was 4 weeks wait and told to go home and start my diet, no mention of what i should be eating or not eating on this diet. Three weeks later after cutting out sugar and sweet things I popped to tescos and had a prick test to see if my levels had dropped. The shock on the chemists face was a picture. My reading was 31.9! I was told that i needed to see a doctor within an hour and not to wait. So cutting a very long story short I ended up on a drip in hospital and going from possible type 2 to a full blown insulin using type 1. Im almost three months in and my levels are only just getting close to normal and am having hypos now and again. I have the best dsn in the word, im getting there at last. So dont worry , yes 17 is quite high but not unmanageble, u will get there. Take care of urself. Xx

Hi there Everyone!
Just thought I’d like to mention another natural Option for you all..dont forget if you are going to do this discuss it with your Diabetic Nurse or GP.
Do Check out Dr Jason Jung on Utube lectures on how the science works re Insulin Resistence a Qualified nephrologist, And avid believer in IF.. (intermittent Fasting).. instantly brings down your blood sugars,
Fasting does not produce insulin whilst refraining from eating.. however certain fluids can be taken but only water, coffee with cream added butter (fats), green tea, homemade Bone Broth.

Dr Fung has several books on Amazon, I have purchased on Fasting and his advice is certainly having a positive affect.

Books: Complete GUIDE to Fasting
Obesity code
Diabetes code

All very helpful and informative, insulin actually is the worst medication to give a T2D .. I was diagnosed with Type 2D this Summer @61.. High risk as Diabetes is Familial. Have come off my Gliclazide Meds, I have a fasting regime now.. use Apps online to keep me on track My Sugr, Glucose Companion, and am also losing weight.

Hoping in time to reverse this T2D.. Fasting actually makes Inulin more sensitive as you are eating.
A lot of it is MANAGEMENT and timing of Food intake, and Fasting times..

I do 24/1 & 16/8 second figure being the window you are eating, the other Fasting.
I eat Freely x 3 per week, up to 60 G Carbs x3 meals a day 9am, 12MD, 4-5pm.. x 4 days with only One evening meal 30 Grams of Carb in one sitting.

Then Fast on water after 6pm..Eating as early as possible @4-5pm.

It works, and doing this stops your blood Sugars from bring constantly high, which is what is doing the damage.

Best of Luck
Daisy

Last edited:
Reactions: Pivi63

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Daisy_Daisy
This thread is 4 years old, the suggestion may be a little late.

Carl13128

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just recovered from a full blown DKA and my bs was 28, it was described as life threatening. Just thought I had a sickness bug.
My advice to anyone is to seek medical advice asap.