Bexd12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The gym
Hi all,

Looking for some advice, currently I'm following (although badly) slimming world, I have recently been diagnosed with T2 and am wondering if anyone on here has successfully gone into remission whilst following slimming world correctly, or if there is an more effective food plan that will give me good weight losses as I need to lose around 9 stone :watching: any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Becky :happy:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Looking for some advice, currently I'm following (although badly) slimming world, I have recently been diagnosed with T2 and am wondering if anyone on here has successfully gone into remission whilst following slimming world correctly, or if there is an more effective food plan that will give me good weight losses as I need to lose around 9 stone :watching: any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Becky :happy:
Hi Becky
First I'll tag @daisy1, who'll post her info sheet soon. But from what I understand, Slimming World and T2 don't really mesh. If you want to get T2 under control and lose weight, most people here have found some form of LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) useful. Lost 25 kilo's that way and am in the non-diabetic range for 2 years now myself. This place has got a Low Carb program, but you can also check dietdoctor.com for mealplans and pointers. All in all, as a T2, carbs are a problem. Practically all carbs are turned to glucose once ingested, and we can't process that back out effectively. So it just floats around, doing damage. Eating less carbs directly translates to better control. So that's the other piece of advice: get a meter. It's the most invaluable tool you'll ever shop for.

Again, welcome... And if you have more questions, shoot!
Jo

Reactions: SOPHIE2006

Bexd12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The gym
Hi Becky
First I'll tag @daisy1, who'll post her info sheet soon. But from what I understand, Slimming World and T2 don't really mesh. If you want to get T2 under control and lose weight, most people here have found some form of LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) useful. Lost 25 kilo's that way and am in the non-diabetic range for 2 years now myself. This place has got a Low Carb program, but you can also check dietdoctor.com for mealplans and pointers. All in all, as a T2, carbs are a problem. Practically all carbs are turned to glucose once ingested, and we can't process that back out effectively. So it just floats around, doing damage. Eating less carbs directly translates to better control. So that's the other piece of advice: get a meter. It's the most invaluable tool you'll ever shop for.

Again, welcome... And if you have more questions, shoot!
Jo
Hi @JoKalsbeek,

Thank you for your response, I have been printing some of the recipe books off here, looks like I need to completely rethink my eating habits!!
Thanks again Jo.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JoKalsbeek,

Thank you for your response, I have been printing some of the recipe books off here, looks like I need to completely rethink my eating habits!!
Thanks again Jo.
Oh, all of us have had to, as we all basically got the same bad advice...! Everything we thought we knew was wrong, haha. It's nuts, really, but it's all do-able. (And delicious). Oh, you might want to check Dr. Jason Fung's work too. Eye-opening, really.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Becky and welcome to the forum. Yes, you will find that everything you thought about dieting needs to be chucked out of the window.

As T2 we have problems coping with carbs. Carbs are addictive and it can take a few weeks to break that addiction.

Once you get past that, you should find your appetite decreases and you can control your snacking..

Read around and ask lots of questions.

Reactions: Bexd12

Bexd12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The gym
Slimming world is high carb - I tried it once and put on weight.
On a low carb diet I lost three stone without trying, and got down to normal numbers for glucose.
Thank you @Resurgam,
Well done on the weight loss and getting your numbers down, bread is my ultimate weakness i love it!! need to change my ways..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Resurgam,
Well done on the weight loss and getting your numbers down, bread is my ultimate weakness i love it!! need to change my ways..
It is the second anniversary of my diagnosis today, and I make myself bread once in a while - I can buy a low carb bread at the Polish delicatessen but it is very expensive so I add low carb seeds and flours to my normal recipe - then make small loaves and freeze them to ration them out for a month.
I only started eating bread when I had been at the top end of the normal range for a year, and I put on weight when I eat bread, so I wait until I get back down to where I was before taking the next loaf out of the freezer - I have to be very firm with myself, but I am never going to regain weight again, not permanently.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Bexd12
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Becky and welcome. I’m another low carb fan. I was diagnosed in May ‘17 and went low carb straight away, this has resulted in my blood sugars being normal for over a year now and the loss of over 6 stone. I highly recommend it as an easy way to lose weight, I haven’t counted a single calorie during this time. I also self monitor which has provided me with invaluable information on how my body reacts to different foods. Have a read round the forum and ask any questions that occur to you, there’ll always be someone around to answer.

Reactions: Montyd and Bexd12

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you know someone with the very old SW Red/Green day diet, the Red day is low carb it could give you some ideas for meal choices

Hi,
I am still learning about all this but I have got experience of slimming world. I lost a good few stone a few years ago and then put it all, (and more), back on as soon as I started eating 'normally'. I think the plan was called extra easy The biggest problem for me was that slimming world allows 'as much as you want' of so many foods, particularly carbs. Huge portions of pasta and potatoes are 'syn free' and because things like muller lights and mugshots are 'free' or low syn they tend to be overeaten too. I ate a ridiculous amount of fruit which from monitoring my levels is definitely not good for me, (may be different for others). So for me the unrestricted portion sizes of foods that really don't satiate, and as someone else has said are addictive, combined with the very limited amounts of fat, (that actually fills me up and so portion control becomes natural) was not a realistic route to long-term weight loss, health, or weight maintenance. It did take me a while to break the psychological blocks to eating fat and cutting out carbs but I now control my portions naturally, eat well and my levels are going in the right direction.
Good Luck :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the commercial diets are based around diets to suit all (really?) or follow the bad NHS-type advice to avoid fat and reduce sugar (but no mention of carbs). Just go low-carb and higher fat and higher protein.

Bexd12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The gym
Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for your replies they have all been really informative, no doubt I will have more questions in the coming weeks!

Thanks again

Becky

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Becky. I have done Slimming World Green plan on 3 previous occasions and lost weight each time. However, I also regained the lost weight very rapidly, sometimes at an alarming rate of pounds in a single week. I cannot offer proof but I feel that high carb low fat eating may have damaged my metabolic control.
Since my diagnosis of Type 2 over 4 years ago I have adopted a low carb high fat diet. I have lost 35lbs and have had blood sugars in the normal range for 4 years. I have not counted calories. Now if I could just beat my nut addiction I might actually lose some more weight!