Any T1DM currently on Metformin?

Kimberley2026

Hi,

I’ve been T1DM for nearly 12 years now - BG haven’t always been high but always above what my consultant and I would like them to be. He has raised the subject over the last few appointments I’ve had that I may be ‘resistant’ to the insulin I’m taking at certain times, but never suggested a change in my current insulin. My most recent appointment he has suggested I try taking Metformin to try and help my evening and morning readings. after only a week of doing so my reading at bedtime and on waking seem to have drastically dropped bringing them into range.

Anyone taking Metformin along with their normal insulin regime?

Also any side effects felt from Metformin?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi kimberley im a type1 diabetic and i take metformin with breakfast lunch and teatime insulin as i am very sensitive to insulin what i do find is if i forget to take the metformin my numbers do rise fairly high as for side effects i dont really have any apart from a bit of wind ive been on them for over a year now :)

Reactions: Carterbpool

Kimberley2026

hi kimberley im a type1 diabetic and i take metformin with breakfast lunch and teatime insulin as i am very sensitive to insulin what i do find is if i forget to take the metformin my numbers do rise fairly high as for side effects i dont really have any apart from a bit of wind ive been on them for over a year now :)

Hi Karen,

I’m currently taking in the morning and move to breakfast and dinner from tomorrow- I’m surprised at how quickly I have noticed changes! I didn’t expect it to work this quickly!

Side effects I have are just stomach discomfort but I assume it’s because it’s new and will hopefully settle down. Fingers crossed anyway as it seems to be working so don’t want to stop. The reading I’m getting are much better than I usually see!

Glad it’s working for you! Hoping the reading I am seeing are due to the Metformin!

Wind - I think I can deal with that! Not sure about my husband though!! Haha! :)

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen,

I’m currently taking in the morning and move to breakfast and dinner from tomorrow- I’m surprised at how quickly I have noticed changes! I didn’t expect it to work this quickly!

Side effects I have are just stomach discomfort but I assume it’s because it’s new and will hopefully settle down. Fingers crossed anyway as it seems to be working so don’t want to stop. The reading I’m getting are much better than I usually see!

Glad it’s working for you! Hoping the reading I am seeing are due to the Metformin!

Wind - I think I can deal with that! Not sure about my husband though!! Haha! :)
If they give you an upset stomach after about a week you can ask for slow release metformin

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice! Didn’t realise there was more than one type!
yes i was told if i suffered any side effects i could go on the metformin sr which are much kinder but ive been fine .hope they continue to give you good results kimberley i was told the tablets themselves dont do anything for bgs but they are like a key unlocking the insulin to let it work more efficiently :joyful:

Kimberley2026

yes i was told if i suffered any side effects i could go on the metformin sr which are much kinder but ive been fine .hope they continue to give you good results kimberley i was told the tablets themselves dont do anything for bgs but they are like a key unlocking the insulin to let it work more efficiently :joyful:

So far it seems to be helping!

Reactions: karen8967

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've recently started taking Sukkarto SR, though I don't find that it has done much for FBG levels so far.

Reactions: kitedoc