Dexcom G6 - second sensor totally inaccurate day 1

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on day 10 of using the Dexcom G6 and this morning swapped my first sensor for a new one. Did everything the same as previously but this one is horribly inaccurate. It started by giving me false low readings (luckily I checked so I didn't correct) of 2.5 compared to 4.6 from a finger prick. I've calibrated it 3 times in the last 6 hours (is this too much?) and it's now swung the opposite way - a 6.2 reading on the Dexcom compared to a 3.0 from a finger prick.

The first sensor was slightly off to begin with - but nothing like this, can I do anything to reset it? I have super tight boundaries for my sugar as I'm pregnant and this is really stressing me out.

I should add that I am also on hold to their support but it's been 30 minutes and counting :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @El_em I've been using the G6 for a few months now, the first 12 hours your sensor is settling in, so there will be inaccuracies, as long as you're doing the calibrating which you are then it should settle in, however any longer than a day and it's still playing up then Dexcom will replace it, hopefully you've spoken to their support now and have more reassurance.

Personally I couldn't do without mine now, I haven't had a dodgy sensor yet and it's alerts are literally life saving so hope this settles down.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sadly, received wisdom for using any CGM device is to apply the sensor 12-24 hours before using it to give the insertion trauma a chance to calm down. It's often called pre-soaking, and does seem to improve readings from when you start the sensor.

As @Juicyj says, the first day has been shown, in many tests on many systems, to produce much worse readings than subsequent days.

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks both, I’ll leave it 24 hours and keep finger pricking. I love it when it’s working so hopefully this is just taking a lot longer to settle in than the last one.

I spoke to Dexcom support who said much the same - after 1hr 10 on hold! Good thing I have an understanding boss!

Reactions: Juicyj