T1(LADA) or T2?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I took the plunge and asked my GP practice nurse for a referral to an internist (we don't do endocrinologists around here) to try to find out whether I have T1 or T2.
I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago and started on tablets. Within 2 months from diagnosis I was on MDI and my insulin needs have gone up in that time, despite eating way less carbs.

My treatment works fine, so no need to change anyting really. The main reason for wanting to find out is that as a T2 with good control I'm probably last in line to get my Libre covered, if ever, and as a T1 that might happen sometime in the next few years.

The downside is that T1's are treated by an internist at the hospital. I'm happy with my practice nurse and as long as all is well she's happy to check bloods and see me only once a year, which suits me very well. T1's are supposed to visit the hospital 4 times a year, which obviously doesn't suit me, and I would miss my lovely nurse as well.

So now I'm pretty nervous about the outcome. Which is kind of stupid, as I'm not even sure what I wish it to be.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I took the plunge and asked my GP practice nurse for a referral to an internist (we don't do endocrinologists around here) to try to find out whether I have T1 or T2.
I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago and started on tablets. Within 2 months from diagnosis I was on MDI and my insulin needs have gone up in that time, despite eating way less carbs.

My treatment works fine, so no need to change anyting really. The main reason for wanting to find out is that as a T2 with good control I'm probably last in line to get my Libre covered, if ever, and as a T1 that might happen sometime in the next few years.

The downside is that T1's are treated by an internist at the hospital. I'm happy with my practice nurse and as long as all is well she's happy to check bloods and see me only once a year, which suits me very well. T1's are supposed to visit the hospital 4 times a year, which obviously doesn't suit me, and I would miss my lovely nurse as well.

So now I'm pretty nervous about the outcome. Which is kind of stupid, as I'm not even sure what I wish it to be.
I had the same scenario re typye1 or 2. I’ve never had any c peptide tests or any other type to confirm one way or the other! But again that was nearly 27 years ago. I think my doc just said oh she’s overweight type 2!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I hope the outcome turns out to be whatever you need/want most, in the end. Good luck!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's a tough call @Antje77 but ultimately if it affects the level of support you get then it's important to know, best wishes and don't be nervous :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77

When in doubt. I always go with the knowledge is power option - which is basically the more info you have, the better decisions you can make.

Getting a clear diagnosis may have different short term consequences, but in years to come you may find it VERY useful indeed. Especially if, as often seems to happen in the UK, you get a new healthcare professional taking a glance and your notes and then deciding (based on whichever side of the bed they got up on that morning) that they will reclassify your diagnosis!

Always good to have a test on record.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hoping for the best (of 2 bad things to choose from)...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Internist was lovely and witty, and agreed that testing C-peptide and anti-GAD was logical. She'll call me in 3 weeks with the results :)

Reactions: Diakat