Reactions: karen8967 and heh

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Morning all, today I'm having my 5th and 6th filling of a total of 9, 1st thru 4th happened last week and the week before. My dentist assumed the rapid decay in the last 2 years was because of high blood glucose, until I showed her the reports from my FS Libre. I wonder if anyone has a view of teeth and diabetes. I usually brush twice a day with an electric toothbrush and I use a water-pick (flossing is a nightmare). I also use mouthwash even though the dentists says they don't do anything (she's entitled to an opinion).

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, today I'm having my 5th and 6th filling of a total of 9, 1st thru 4th happened last week and the week before. My dentist assumed the rapid decay in the last 2 years was because of high blood glucose, until I showed her the reports from my FS Libre. I wonder if anyone has a view of teeth and diabetes. I usually brush twice a day with an electric toothbrush and I use a water-pick (flossing is a nightmare). I also use mouthwash even though the dentists says they don't do anything (she's entitled to an opinion).
Poor you. No opinion on a diabetes/dental health link, my teeth have been rubbish all my life; loads of fillings and 5 teeth missing :(

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also use mouthwash even though the dentists says they don't do anything (she's entitled to an opinion).

My dental therapist (new name for hygienist) tells me mouthwash does a lot. It kills all the bad bacteria. Sadly, it also kills all the good bacteria. She says not to use it. She also does not advocate flossing. I have tried flossing with the narrowest floss sticks there are. Nightmare. They won't fit between my teeth. Never tried again. My teeth have always been strong and healthy. I have hardly had any problems with them. I am now 70 years old and still have 30 of my own teeth, all healthy. Problem is braces were not around when I was young so my teeth are crooked. Can't have everything I suppose.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always thought my bad teeth were inherited from my mother, who had lots of root canals and crowns. My father on the other hand never had a cavity or lost a tooth until one broke when he was way up in his 80s.

I don't know how well mouthwash works now that they've taken out the alcohol. Alcohol was what killed the germs. I didn't know about mouthwash killing the good bacteria too, though. That is definitely something I will consider, as not buying it would leave money for something else.

Reactions: kitedoc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Also a warning about Corsodyl Mouthwash. I used it several years ago and found my teeth were getting stained and looking very grey. Then I found a warning about it - on the Corsodyl website

https://www.corsodyl.co.uk/faqs/faq31/

DOES CORSODYL DAILY MOUTHWASH STAIN?
Corsodyl Daily Mouthwash may cause staining of the teeth and the tongue. This can be removed by twice daily brushing with toothpaste, or by your hygienist or dentist. You can help to avoid staining by not drinking tea, coffee or red wine, particularly within one hour of use.

Brushing my teeth twice a day made no difference to the staining.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had my parotid glands well most of them removed when I had tumors grow in them this means I no longer produced much saliva or the enzymes needed to protect teeth from decay this was not explained to me at the time so now only have a few teeth left non of the upper ones unfortunately rather vexing to say the least.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Binge watching last season of The Great British Bake-off. It's some sort of painful pleasure :wacky: But as long as seeing those poor people getting sent home is sadder than not being able to eat that stuff, I suppose I'm mentally all right :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had a CT scan this afternoon with injection for some reason it could not be done at my local hospital but instead I had to drive 22 miles to to Newark instead of the ten minute drive to the local one, appointment was for 1530 but they where running late so did not get home till gone six blood sugar now at 9.6 I wonder if the contrast dye they inject can effect bloods.

Reactions: Geoffno6

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I had a CT scan this afternoon with injection for some reason it could not be done at my local hospital but instead I had to drive 22 miles to to Newark instead of the ten minute drive to the local one, appointment was for 1530 but they where running late so did not get home till gone six blood sugar now at 9.6 I wonder if the contrast dye they inject can effect bloods.
Sorry to hear of the running around you had to do, @JohnEGreen,. I wonder if the stress of driving, having a scan with who knows what result etc is enough to explain your BSLs?

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Cold here

Have a good day

H

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a good day, @heh and everybody. 2 degrees here and a lovely pink and pale blue reflection of the sunrise.

Reactions: heh